Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CNN article is some news. When Tesla announced the 2021 refresh they were predicting deliveries would be happening by now, but none have happened yet. The worldwide chip shortage might be contributing, but Tesla's supply of electronics is separate from the rest of the auto industry. Most of their silicon is custom made to Tesla specs. Most other cars might have a few custom devices for features specific to that manufacturer, but quite a few of the ICs on mainstream makers' cars are common parts that are used by many industries. If one industry is sucking up those parts, the car makers won't be able to get them.

I do suspect the biggest hangup is approval for the yoke. Do anything that is too different a driver's experience and the regulators are going to want to evaluate it.
What regulators? The NHTSA? We've discussed this at length on this thread; see my post earlier today. Would love to hear if you have a different interpretation of the regulatory requirement.

Makes me sick to my stomach if we are waiting for lazy, dumb government folks to decide whether the work of a proven genius is acceptable. If the yoke isn’t safe, we have a civil court system to deal with that. We don’t need the NHTSA, the NTSB, the FDA, or any other regulatory bureaus.
Remember the Civil Court System is part of our “dumb“ government. Imagine not having a Government! Oh, I better add I can’t wait for my Plaid with the Yoke.

Reactions: elguapo
The CNN article is some news. When Tesla announced the 2021 refresh they were predicting deliveries would be happening by now, but none have happened yet. The worldwide chip shortage might be contributing, but Tesla's supply of electronics is separate from the rest of the auto industry. Most of their silicon is custom made to Tesla specs. Most other cars might have a few custom devices for features specific to that manufacturer, but quite a few of the ICs on mainstream makers' cars are common parts that are used by many industries. If one industry is sucking up those parts, the car makers won't be able to get them.

I do suspect the biggest hangup is approval for the yoke. Do anything that is too different a driver's experience and the regulators are going to want to evaluate it.
I don't think the chip shortage accounted for any of this. It's FUD. Made up. If they could still produce that many M3/Y no chip shortage would cause a full shutdown of the line. There's shortages not none.

Reactions: Tigers
Makes me sick to my stomach if we are waiting for lazy, dumb government folks to decide whether the work of a proven genius is acceptable. If the yoke isn’t safe, we have a civil court system to deal with that. We don’t need the NHTSA, the NTSB, the FDA, or any other regulatory bureaus.
I honestly doubt it is the case. There's other production cars with differing steering wheels.

This is the hold up. Still. And still. Two permits relating to the MS/MX line are not finished.

Tool install
Bus bar waiting inspection

Really? Is that how you feel? That's very ignorant and immature of you. The regulatory agencies are the ones responsible for ensuring and improving the safety of the vehicles we drive. Many years ago, before there were actual over-the-chest seatbelts and airbags, my brother was killed in a MVA. Had there been those safety innovations at that time, he would've been alive today, so I suggest you keep your snarky, ignorant comments to yourself. True the government agencies could be a little quicker but in this case of the Tesla Model S "refresh," it's Tesla that's changing what's totally safe and not "broken" so no need to blame the government regulatory agencies that ensure our safety dude. 🙄
Yes, that is how I feel. If car companies make unsafe cars, people won’t buy them. And people will sue the car companies. There simply is no need for the regulators to stick their noses where they don’t belong. I don’t want them to “ensure my safety.”

Reactions: JackD
Don’t know but you may want to actually sell your car privately (eBay works) or sell it to a local dealer. I sold my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV to a local dealer and got a nice check after Tesla mucked around with my trade-in offer after it expired in 30 days...those bastards deducted $4,400 off their original trade-in offer after just 30 days and less than 1,000 mi. Um NO. I’ve heard that Tesla really doesn’t want to deal with trade-ins anyway as they just auction them off anyhow and couldn’t care less about the low ball offers they give you. Their original offer to me was fair...within a couple thousand of others that I received offers for and I liked the sales tax reduction with the trade in. But with the impending delays, it could be another 4-8+ weeks before delivery so you may want to just sell your car elsewhere and you’ll easily make up for the tax savings from the trade-in. Just my experience.

The initial offer for my trade in was actually right on with what I can get locally, and so far it's barely changed. On the other hand I've driven less than 1000 miles since then, which I guess could help? I guess that's not a given! If they keep where they're at by the time delivery actually happens, I'm fine with it, though I have read (on this forum, at least) that they aren't great with trade-ins so I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. The cost of the car jumped quite a bit so I want every penny I can get from the trade in!

Reactions: sflgator
I got same new language text about urgent trade in, SA told me people were ignoring them and the stiffened the language, nothing new. She did say for me ordering prior to refresh announce guidance was last week April, First week May.
Dallas, LR, MSM
That makes sense, I can imagine people not wanting to futz with it every month. On the other hand - the last week of April is within 30 days, so I choose to keep hoping! 😁 On the plus side, the only time I wash my car anymore is when I'm taking photos for the trade-in thing, so it's not all bad.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Yes, that is how I feel. If car companies make unsafe cars, people won’t buy them. And people will sue the car companies. There simply is no need for the regulators to stick their noses where they don’t belong. I don’t want them to “ensure my safety.”
Do you really think most people are smart enough to know what cars are safe or not? Do you not believe in speed limits and drivers licenses. I want as many regulators protecting me as possible. But it’s your choice to not listen to anyone even if they are experts and trying to protect you. That being said I am really looking forward to my new MS-P.

Since you had a close encounter with the Model RefreS’d. Perhaps you may be able to solve the mystery of the Center Console. First Photo I’ve seen showing cup holders sliding towards back seat. Did you get a peek at the depths of the storage area? Similar to existing “S” for additional Cup Holders. Currently pretty happy with the 5 I now have in front with my 2018 MS 100D. (3 in the lower compartment + 2 in the armrest)
What is the mystery? The Tesla site says the cup holders slide

Convenience​

1. Front center console with sliding cup holders and storage

Another really ignorant comment. So nobody will buy and drive totally unsafe vehicles if manufacturers cut corners to build cars with unsafe parts (assuming your really awesome plan of no regulative body to oversee the safety of these products)? And if/when they get into accidents and people are injured and killed, all the people will just sue the manufacturers (assuming all those people have the money for costly attorneys who demand $500 per hour for their work)? Dude, I think your comment is ridiculous, asinine, and offensive. Btw - my MS Plaid order still says “March.”
Above all how are they going to sue anyone after they die in an unsafe car? BTW, my order still says March

What regulators? The NHTSA? We've discussed this at length on this thread; see my post earlier today. Would love to hear if you have a different interpretation of the regulatory requirement.

As Doubleshot said there are two building permits awaiting inspection, which might be the core of the hangup. I guess building inspection in California has gotten ridiculously long. Bill Maher was complaining that it took more than 1300 days to get his solar installation turned on.

I don't think the chip shortage accounted for any of this. It's FUD. Made up. If they could still produce that many M3/Y no chip shortage would cause a full shutdown of the line. There's shortages not none.

Actually that's mostly what I said. I thought it was possible that a parts shortage might be holding things up. One critical off the shelf part can completely stop production, but Tesla relies on their own silicon far more than other car makers, so it is unlikely that the electronics shortage is causing the delays.

The CNN article is some news. When Tesla announced the 2021 refresh they were predicting deliveries would be happening by now, but none have happened yet. The worldwide chip shortage might be contributing, but Tesla's supply of electronics is separate from the rest of the auto industry. Most of their silicon is custom made to Tesla specs.
What leads you to believe this is the case? Outside of the Autopilot computer, I see zero reason to doubt that almost everything else at the silicon/ASIC level is off-the-shelf standard fare.

What leads you to believe this is the case? Outside of the Autopilot computer, I see zero reason to doubt that almost everything else at the silicon/ASIC level is off-the-shelf standard fare.

Sandy Munro took apart a couple of Model 3s and a Model Y, he didn't take apart a Model S, or at least if he did he can't talk about it because of an NDA. I believe he reported a lot of custom silicon in the car, though in the lecture I saw he talked more about the unique metallurgy he found. The older Model Ss probably have a fair number of off the shelf parts, but I suspect they have gone more and more custom as time went on.

Sandy Munro took apart a couple of Model 3s and a Model Y, he didn't take apart a Model S, or at least if he did he can't talk about it because of an NDA. I believe he reported a lot of custom silicon in the car, though in the lecture I saw he talked more about the unique metallurgy he found. The older Model Ss probably have a fair number of off the shelf parts, but I suspect they have gone more and more custom as time went on.
Custom silicon?

I know they make a good deal of their own custom PCBs and subsystems for various components - but again I can’t see a lot of need or strategic advantage to be had from extensive custom design at the component or IC level.

And even if they do, they surely don’t actually fabricate them themselves - so they’re competing for the same constrained capacity at Samsung or TSMC just like everybody else is.

Reactions: omarsultan
Custom silicon?

I know they make a good deal of their own custom PCBs and subsystems for various components - but again I can’t see a lot of need or strategic advantage to be had from extensive custom design at the component or IC level.

And even if they do, they surely don’t actually fabricate them themselves - so they’re competing for the same constrained capacity at Samsung or TSMC just like everybody else is.

I guess I misremembered old articles. It does look like they buy parts from IC makers.

I still suspect Tesla is facing less supply problems than other car makers. In 2020 the rest of the car industry saw a large reduction in demand, but Tesla saw an increase from 2019. Other car makers reduced their contracts for parts, but Tesla didn't, so now other car makers can't get more parts to increase production back to 2019 levels.

Reactions: ucmndd
Well we've seen multiple reports that Tesla could be using AMDs Nav 23 GPU for it's entertainment (see Tesla Model S and Model X refresh gaming, infotainment system GPU details leaked) We know that the Model S has a different chipset to the 3/Y because Elon has told us you'll be able to run Witcher 3 on it. Not sure if any of you have tried to buy any of latest AMD graphics cards lately, or even one of their CPUs, but there is a huge supply issue.

P.s. I was one of those folks who had a '-' for the delivery date and now has blank then "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. ". Ordered LR on Jan 28th.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3