Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know. I think the S/X sales are high enough that he doesn't care. He's still trying to get people to blow $10k on software that will never fully work correctly on probably they next two iterations of hardware. I don't know why anyone on earth would buy fsd but it seems like that's where his full attention is and it's going to be a waste of time for years to come.
ugh. i feel like such a chump for hitting the add fsd button 😅 i fully agree with this

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
ugh. i feel like such a chump for hitting the add fsd button 😅 i fully agree with this
Remember I said "Don't Do IT". 🤦‍♂️ 🤣 pay whatever the Monthly Subscription fee is WHEN something compelling enough to do it is available. As is regular A/P is 95% all I ever use and have FSD on both current Tesla's and my '17 S that I sold in '19. I really regret blowing all that $$,$$$ pre-paying for FSD for Elon's Pipe Dream

Reactions: cascadilla
Remember I said "Don't Do IT". 🤦‍♂️ 🤣 pay whatever the Monthly Subscription fee is WHEN something compelling enough to do it is available. As is regular A/P is 95% all I ever use and have FSD on both current Tesla's and my '17 S that I sold in '19. I really regret blowing all that $$,$$$ pre-paying for FSD for Elon's Pipe Dream

Seriously. It's insane people are gullible enough to do it, get caught up in the hype. It's not going to ever be worth it on today's cars.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Seriously. It's insane people are gullible enough to do it, get caught up in the hype. It's not going to ever be worth it on today's cars.
Its value mostly comes from the fact that they got rid of enhanced autopilot, so I paid a premium for that.

Also, I’m buying a Tesla as a tech guy. I love these gimmicks.

But I guess maybe the lack of tweets and marketing for S/X could also be because they don’t want to add to their backlog of orders.

Its value mostly comes from the fact that they got rid of enhanced autopilot, so I paid a premium for that.

Also, I’m buying a Tesla as a tech guy. I love these gimmicks.

But I guess maybe the lack of tweets and marketing for S/X could also be because they don’t want to add to their backlog of orders.
Haha. I guess I'm a sucker too. FSD has advantages for me when I take my long drives. Oh and the tech nerd in me just wants it so I can show of summon like once

Haha. I guess I'm a sucker too. FSD has advantages for me when I take my long drives. Oh and the tech nerd in me just wants it so I can show of summon like once
Good luck with that!!! 🤣 Seems like the best party trick ever to show off but fails or you run to your car to keep from causing road rage....Maybe okay to use on Easter Day in a Publix parking lot🤦‍♂️

I will let you pessimists fuel the short sellers while my shares continue to rise on the company's amazing ability to innovate. How about this, pay $10k for FSD, buy $50k in Tesla stock and the $10k you spent on FSD will be re-paid within a couple of months. Crazy to me that people still doubt Elon Musk and Tesla's capabilities.

Good luck with that!!! 🤣 Seems like the best party trick ever to show off but fails or you run to your car to keep from causing road rage....Maybe okay to use on Easter Day in a Publix parking lot🤦‍♂️
When we had our big freeze here in Austin a little while back i drove to Target to get supplies on day 4 of the freeze. The car handled very well but walking into Target, from the parking lot, i almost died on the ice. "Bingo" i decided to try summon for the first time, it worked like a charm and pulled up in front of the store where i could unload my trolley. Granted no one saw this amazing, feat because i was the only one around, but it worked o_O

There will always be doubters until actually proven wrong. It has to be tiring dealing with people like that. Sometimes it’s valid to doubt, other times it’s not.

Elon and Tesla team have done amazing things. But.....Elon would be a heck of a lot more credible in regards to FSD if he would have handled some things differently. I would rather he not mention short term timelines for FSD button until the button is actually ready to be released....for example. Such a simple change in that behavior would go a long way.

I wanted to respond to @Emiller that's it is laughable people fall for the same old trick time and time again. I want to say I hope that Elon/Tesla are successful and I think if they keep at it for another decade or so, they will be.

But to think FSD is 1-2 years away (or at least, FSD that you'd be comfortable without being able to interrupt) is flat out pure LOL. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... Right now, they way the system is setup, it would make me way more nervous going places and I would feel in much more danger than it would do anything to help me. I don't see that changing for 3-5 years minimum.

On top of that, Elon was real shady with the FOMO pricing *sugar* and on that alone, I'm not going to support it. Raising prices on a feature set that doesn't even work properly is absolutely one of the worst customer cash grabs I've ever seen.

At one point people talked about FSD buyers getting precedent on deliveries too, also, shameful.

I wanted to respond to @Emiller that's it is laughable people fall for the same old trick time and time again. I want to say I hope that Elon/Tesla are successful and I think if they keep at it for another decade or so, they will be.

But to think FSD is 1-2 years away (or at least, FSD that you'd be comfortable without being able to interrupt) is flat out pure LOL. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... Right now, they way the system is setup, it would make me way more nervous going places and I would feel in much more danger than it would do anything to help me. I don't see that changing for 3-5 years minimum.

On top of that, Elon was real shady with the FOMO pricing *sugar* and on that alone, I'm not going to support it. Raising prices on a feature set that doesn't even work properly is absolutely one of the worst customer cash grabs I've ever seen.

At one point people talked about FSD buyers getting precedent on deliveries too, also, shameful.

I'm not sure if FSD will make it to production, usefully, anytime soon. But, not to be rude, but how is it that you are such an expert? It would seem like elon, who is a lifetime programmer, would have a better chance of being right than you. Again, you may very well be right, but why would people want to listen to you rather than those who are actually working on the project?

Don't wish to be snarky, but really, do we know all that much that we can say things so definitively?

I agree with the performance discussion above, re: plaid didn’t make the target numbers. Musk claims they always do better than the prototype in the final product. Maybe this time, they didn’t?
It’s definitely possible. Of course they can’t deliver the car unless it’s capable of what’s in writing on the website. The more I think about it, the more I believe it could be the issue.

I'm not sure if FSD will make it to production, usefully, anytime soon. But, not to be rude, but how is it that you are such an expert? It would seem like elon, who is a lifetime programmer, would have a better chance of being right than you. Again, you may very well be right, but why would people want to listen to you rather than those who are actually working on the project?

Don't wish to be snarky, but really, do we know all that much that we can say things so definitively?

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty decent with critical thinking skills.

1) Elon has been wrong about timelines and capabilities for FSD for going on 5-6+ years now. He still hasn't met his original goals from back then, so that clock is still ticking.

2) If he knew exactly what he was talking about and how to get there, then he wouldn't have give timelines that anyone with any knowledge said were unrealistic back in the day and, what do you know, they were right (and still are).

3) Look at other companies who are trying to solve this, notably Waymo who has poured billions of dollars in and certainly have engineers on par with Tesla - they don't give ridiculous timelines like Elon, because (and they would know) they aren't close to a consumer-ready product that safe and effective 99.999% of the time.

Add this up and what you get is: Elon has missed numerous deadlines numerous times and was way overly optimistic about capabilities multiple times. So who cares what he says can be done this year or next? The thing with Elon is, he usually gets there - but its usually pretty damn late. So, like I said above, I think if they keep going they will get there - but all of this robotaxi crap and FSD this year, not going to happen. It wouldn't be out of the norm for Tesla to launch half baked software, but it's not going to be true FSD where you can relax or be on your phone and there will still be tons of times you'll have to stop it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but while my instinct as an engineer tells me this is too far off to be worth investing now, the guy and his team managed to learn how to land an inherently unstable rocket coming from space on a rocking platform in the ocean when not a soul in NASA(i.e. really freaking smart people) thought it could be done. That took his team 2-3 years to figure out. For that reason, i am willing to make a leap of faith.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole EAP -> AP switcharoo just before I got my Model 3. And there was so much confusion within Tesla as to what AP actually included or not. I was repeatedly told by several “experts” that it includes auto lane change, which it did not.

To me, the most valuable part of Tesla’s driver assistance system is how relaxing it makes long drives, meaning highway/freeway driving, as the AP system can handle that pretty well these days.

But the AP “package” by itself as it was dummed down to (and sold to me for $3,000) is pretty useless, unless you’re willing to constantly disengage/reengage it every time you want to change lanes, which gets really annoying with the constant ding-dong / dong-ding chimes. Passengers would be like “what the heck is your car complaining about? Can you please drive yourself?”

So EAP to me was the perfect sweet spot of value for features. But of course they took that away, essentially forcing people who want a pleasant long trip experience to shell out a lot of extra $ for FSD - the name of which is such a joke. It should really stand for Fake Self Driving.

When I ordered my Plaid+ the price for FSD was still $8,000 so I relunctantly still added it to my order. But for 5 figures now, I would really hesitate, especially as the competition has true hands-free DAS now (see Ford’s latest). The value of “FSD” is just really not there (yet), especially for people who just want to use the equivalent of EAP on long highway trips only.

On city streets I just don’t see its usefulness, until it’s truly Fully Self Driving by itself and doesn’t require EXTRA attention from the driver than normal manual driving. Tesla should be paying its Beta drivers to improve their system, IMHO, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: tibook and Tigers
I believe it is a choice. I drive 90 miles to work on a highway and FSD is better than AP. AP does not change lanes nor change roads plus many other useful items that FSD does. buying the subscription sounds great yet I believe it will be expensive and never ending.

I believe it is a choice. I drive 90 miles to work on a highway and FSD is better than AP. AP does not change lanes nor change roads plus many other useful items that FSD does. buying the subscription sounds great yet I believe it will be expensive and never ending.
It is truly a case by case situation. I want the benefits of FSD, albeit pretty slim right now, but we trade our cars often enough and FSD offers NO re-sale value at this point...so the monthly subscription, whatever it is, makes much more sense and also can be put off until something substantial is actually released.

Reactions: Tigers
Based on what Elon said today what if the model s/x deliveries were being held up by the release of version 9 for fsd beta which would be the new upgraded firmware aka v11. My theory is once v11 or beta 9.0 is ready they’ll start to send out the cars so the model s/x are the first vehicles with that software version. Then after a couple weeks the model 3/y get updated to v11/fsd 9.0. For anyone who doesn’t have Twitter Elon said subscription fsd next month is definitely happening. Fsd beta button and version 9.0 aren’t ready yet potentially not until June.
I'm not sure how a beta software release could hold up a production car.