Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how a beta software release could hold up a production car.
If the 9.0 beta release is using version 11 which is what is being speculated, we could assume that v11 is first going to be shipped out on the model s/x cars before making its way to the 3’s with an ota update. We don’t know to what extent Tesla has changed on v11. The information that has been gathered in this same thread has shown that Tesla wants to remove certain aspects of the fsd camera system, and whatever those changes are need to be implemented into the new version v11. We also know based on flyovers of Tesla Fremont that cars have continued to be built in small numbers for Elon and his friends and to test out whatever changes they’re doing be it hardware and software. So to respond to your initial message Tesla won’t release a model s on an unreleased version and it definitely won’t release it with v10. The picture on Tesla’s own website of the interior of the model s is a completely different UI so to think they’d say let’s release on old software is a bit of a stretch.

Attachments

• EA789A11-51A3-4BB2-B0F2-B83ADD929457.jpeg
    EA789A11-51A3-4BB2-B0F2-B83ADD929457.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 56
I don't know why anyone on earth would buy fsd
I tend to hold onto my cars till the wheels fall off--I kept my P85 for 8 years and expect something similar for the new S. I don't expect FSD for at least a couple of more years, but I think something will eventually be delivering in the next 8 years and I would have rather paid the $10K today than whatever ridiculous price they want in a few years.

It’s definitely possible. Of course they can’t deliver the car unless it’s capable of what’s in writing on the website. The more I think about it, the more I believe it could be the issue.
It is possible, but why hold up the LR?

I'm not sure how a beta software release could hold up a production car.
If the new SW is the first build that supports any new HW in the new cars (we had discussed HW4 or the 4D mmWave radar up-thread), then it would hold up the release of the product.

I tend to hold onto my cars till the wheels fall off--I kept my P85 for 8 years and expect something similar for the new S. I don't expect FSD for at least a couple of more years, but I think something will eventually be delivering in the next 8 years and I would have rather paid the $10K today than whatever ridiculous price they want in a few years.

This is called "FOMO pricing" as a way to get customers to pay for a product that doesn't exist. I refuse to buy it on principle. Also, they won't let people transfer it to new cars, why do you think that is? :)

Shady and unethical. I wish people would also refuse to pay for it so they would stop, but...

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
This is called "FOMO pricing" as a way to get customers to pay for a product that doesn't exist. I refuse to buy it on principle. Also, they won't let people transfer it to new cars, why do you think that is? :)

Shady and unethical. I wish people would also refuse to pay for it so they would stop, but...
I don’t mind paying for it because (without providing legal advice; your situation may be different) it is a no-brainer that I can get my money back if they don’t deliver. BTW — I don’t need the board’s lawyers to tell me why they think I am wrong. I am confident that my analysis is stronger.

Two points on the FSD discussion:
1) I think it is overpriced and I'm buying it because I too am a tech nerd. I paid $2K for an early version of Cadillac's Adaptive Cruise Control in 2004 and have had it on every car since then. The idea of my car having capabilities that I can't use gets in my head. But that is just me and it is totally a choice. I think the idea of a subscription makes a lot of sense. It will also give real-time feedback on the price-point. I don't think a lot of people will pay an extra $100/month for the relatively small incremental upgrade. They certainly won't pay it for a future promise when they can just wait.

2) I just can't get the Elon Musk tweet about the Ford CEO Farley mocking Tesla's testing FSD on their customers instead of just in-house. Seriously... the Ford CEO's name is Farley... so Musk tweets a driving clip from Chris Farley in Tommy Boy in reference to the new Ford driving tech:

Instead of just transferring to a new car why not attach it to our profile so if we have multiple Tesla cars or buy/upgrade we automatically have it on our cars. Paying 10k per car is insane. I have 2 Tesla’s waiting for the S and there’s no argument to be made that it’s ok to pay 30k to have fsd on my Tesla’s. Should be a 1 time thing that’s attached to our profiles forever.

If the 9.0 beta release is using version 11 which is what is being speculated, we could assume that v11 is first going to be shipped out on the model s/x cars before making its way to the 3’s with an ota update. We don’t know to what extent Tesla has changed on v11. The information that has been gathered in this same thread has shown that Tesla wants to remove certain aspects of the fsd camera system, and whatever those changes are need to be implemented into the new version v11. We also know based on flyovers of Tesla Fremont that cars have continued to be built in small numbers for Elon and his friends and to test out whatever changes they’re doing be it hardware and software. So to respond to your initial message Tesla won’t release a model s on an unreleased version and it definitely won’t release it with v10. The picture on Tesla’s own website of the interior of the model s is a completely different UI so to think they’d say let’s release on old software is a bit of a stretch.
The biggest argument against it being software is that they would have a lot full of completed hardware awaiting the final software... or they would ship them to their distribution points and just do the update before delivery. Apple does this all the time. Definitely not a software hold-up.

The biggest argument against it being software is that they would have a lot full of completed hardware awaiting the final software... or they would ship them to their distribution points and just do the update before delivery. Apple does this all the time. Definitely not a software hold-up.
VW ID3 was a perfect example of how that makes sense. My opinion as well that software is / was not the issue

Reactions: Tigers
We can’t compare what apple does to Tesla in this instance. Apple works on its software behind closed doors for years then release a beta version of the newest update 3-4 months before release. The released beta software the testers get is multiple builds behind what apple is currently testing and by the time the final release candidates are to release to the general public they have already been implemented on the news phones that are being built way before the gm is released. I’ve been part of the apple developer program since it first became a thing paying $99 a year and having my buddies test the beta software with me.

In Tesla’s instance like many have pointed out Tesla doesn’t do things the conventional way. They haven’t tested v11 anywhere besides internally on manufacturer cars. So to say why don’t they build the cars now and have them sit until the sw is ready wouldn’t make sense, since they don’t even know when it’ll be ready. Let’s say they started ramping production in March and the cars sit until June. How does that look for the company in the eyes of investors that cars are sitting for months while Tesla works out the issues with the new hardware being coded with new sw. one other common thing about all the mules we have seen is they don’t have the dash cluster. Could that be an issue with them or are they having problems coding it, again we don’t know just speculation.

Another thing let’s not compare anything vw does lol

I don’t mind paying for it because (without providing legal advice; your situation may be different) it is a no-brainer that I can get my money back if they don’t deliver. BTW — I don’t need the board’s lawyers to tell me why they think I am wrong. I am confident that my analysis is stronger.
Don’t forget to keep us informed as to how this lawsuit is going too! You’re gonna be a busy guy with all these court dates… 😆