Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to hold onto my cars till the wheels fall off--I kept my P85 for 8 years and expect something similar for the new S. I don't expect FSD for at least a couple of more years, but I think something will eventually be delivering in the next 8 years and I would have rather paid the $10K today than whatever ridiculous price they want in a few years.

It is possible, but why hold up the LR?

If the new SW is the first build that supports any new HW in the new cars (we had discussed HW4 or the 4D mmWave radar up-thread), then it would hold up the release of the product.
My current vehicle is 10 years old, no rust and most importantly no payment. I take good care of it and will keep it. I got FSD before it went to 10k. So depending on years I could be as low as $90 a month or as high as $110 a month. My wife’s car has driver assist. I find that fascinating. Born 1967 so ya know

That’s a good point and I don’t have a good answer. IMO It’s just a possibility..Tesla’s silence, no videos posted, and the Laguna Seca plaid 60-130 time in 6 sec.
But honestly have no idea what the situation is.
It’s sort of like me claiming I can bench press 400lbs. You then search online and only find videos of me bench pressing 330. Since I seem like honest guy, you want to take my word for it but weighing only 170 pounds, it’s hard to believe. And because it’s so impressive, I would be quick to post videos so people wouldn’t have to speculate. If I kept saying I have a cold or I hurt my shoulder, some will think I’m full of sh-t. Btw I can’t press 400 ha. Just an example.

It’s sort of like me claiming I can bench press 400lbs. You then search online and only find videos of me bench pressing 330. Since I seem like honest guy, you want to take my word for it but weighing only 170 pounds, it’s hard to believe. And because it’s so impressive, I would be quick to post videos so people wouldn’t have to speculate. If I kept saying I have a cold or I hurt my shoulder, some will think I’m full of sh-t. Btw I can’t press 400 ha. Just an example.

do you u even lift, bro?

This is called "FOMO pricing" as a way to get customers to pay for a product that doesn't exist. I refuse to buy it on principle. Also, they won't let people transfer it to new cars, why do you think that is? :)
Yeah, I get that I am getting played to some degree, I do feel like they will get it "close enough" in the next 4-5 years and, as I geek, I know I will want it and I'd rather pay the $10K now than whatever it is in the future

Instead of just transferring to a new car why not attach it to our profile so if we have multiple Tesla cars or buy/upgrade we automatically have it on our cars. Paying 10k per car is insane. I have 2 Tesla’s waiting for the S and there’s no argument to be made that it’s ok to pay 30k to have fsd on my Tesla’s. Should be a 1 time thing that’s attached to our profiles forever.
Building SW is my day job, so I understand Tesla's PoV here. If you buy FSD and then it sticks with you, then that is all the money Tesla will ever get out of you for FSD. The problem is it is likely you will continue to want feature enhancements, bug fixes, etc so where does the R&D funding for that come from. If you say "from new buyers" you've essentially described a Ponzi scheme of sorts which will eventually collapse. As you note, the current approach is also problematic as its too biased in Telsa's favor and makes the buyer carry all the risk. Luckily, the dark arts of SW licensing are actually well understood and there are equitable approaches, just none that Tesla has chosen to explore right now.

IMO, at the very least, Tesla should allow a one-time transfer of the FSD for buyers of FSD until FSD is considered feature complete.

I should have said they ‘probably wouldn’t’ deliver the cars if they were not very close to the claimed specs. I mean if it’s a little off (9.4 at 152), no biggie.
Tesla knows people do 1/4 mile runs.
They got their hands slapped for the P85D HP numbers, maybe they learned a lesson?

Two points on the FSD discussion:
1) I think it is overpriced and I'm buying it because I too am a tech nerd. I paid $2K for an early version of Cadillac's Adaptive Cruise Control in 2004 and have had it on every car since then. The idea of my car having capabilities that I can't use gets in my head. But that is just me and it is totally a choice. I think the idea of a subscription makes a lot of sense. It will also give real-time feedback on the price-point. I don't think a lot of people will pay an extra $100/month for the relatively small incremental upgrade. They certainly won't pay it for a future promise when they can just wait.

2) I just can't get the Elon Musk tweet about the Ford CEO Farley mocking Tesla's testing FSD on their customers instead of just in-house. Seriously... the Ford CEO's name is Farley... so Musk tweets a driving clip from Chris Farley in Tommy Boy in reference to the new Ford driving tech:
He's brilliant but a bit of a child and quite inappropriate many times; could he be on the spectrum? I think it's very possible.

Reactions: Tigers
My current vehicle is 10 years old, no rust and most importantly no payment. I take good care of it and will keep it. I got FSD before it went to 10k. So depending on years I could be as low as $90 a month or as high as $110 a month. My wife’s car has driver assist. I find that fascinating. Born 1967 so ya know
I would have happily held onto my P85 for a few more years if repair costs were not so out of wacky, but the cost of a new DU or pack is more than the car is worth.

wow this is not what I expected from MB especially on their top of the line car.
View attachment 653989
That is UGLY as sin! Boo. Shame on MB!! The interior may be high-tech and a bit confusing but the exterior is just plain FUGLY. Eeew! :eek: They should've made the production EQS very close to the EQS Concept vehicle design!!!

Yeah, I get that I am getting played to some degree, I do feel like they will get it "close enough" in the next 4-5 years and, as I geek, I know I will want it and I'd rather pay the $10K now than whatever it is in the future

Building SW is my day job, so I understand Tesla's PoV here. If you buy FSD and then it sticks with you, then that is all the money Tesla will ever get out of you for FSD. The problem is it is likely you will continue to want feature enhancements, bug fixes, etc so where does the R&D funding for that come from. If you say "from new buyers" you've essentially described a Ponzi scheme of sorts which will eventually collapse. As you note, the current approach is also problematic as its too biased in Telsa's favor and makes the buyer carry all the risk. Luckily, the dark arts of SW licensing are actually well understood and there are equitable approaches, just none that Tesla has chosen to explore right now.

IMO, at the very least, Tesla should allow a one-time transfer of the FSD for buyers of FSD until FSD is considered feature complete.

They got their hands slapped for the P85D HP numbers, maybe they learned a lesson?
I completely understand your point. What Tesla needs to do is find a way to get fsd into more hands without forcing people to buy on a per car basis. Maybe like I mentioned attach to the profile and possibly do a yearly fee. If the feature was 100% complete and worked as Elon advertised we wouldn’t be having the discussion of fsd being worth the price. The majority of people on the fence about fsd don’t want to throw 10k for 1 car and then 2-3 years later they decide to upgrade to a new car and that 10k was lost while Tesla tested the software. Happy median would be until it’s 100% let us use it on all our cars with a potential small fee per year

Reactions: omarsultan
That is UGLY as sin! Boo. Shame on MB!! The interior may be high-tech and a bit confusing but the exterior is just plain FUGLY. Eeew! :eek:
I’m with you on this. Outside of Porsche and Audi the majority of electric cars being released are just plain ugly. It’s mostly the front bumpers and “grilles” that make them look like sh**. MB could’ve kept the same s class and added an electric motor and whole would’ve loved it.

I’m with you on this. Outside of Porsche and Audi the majority of electric cars being released are just plain ugly. It’s mostly the front bumpers and “grilles” that make them look like sh**. MB could’ve kept the same s class and added an electric motor and whole would’ve loved it.

Model S > EQS, easily

I'm not on Twitter much but couldn't resist a couple of snarky tweets today: IMG_1768.PNGIMG_1769.PNG

Looks are subjective but I think the Audi RS Etron GT is gorgeous and the best looking EV so far. Too bad it doesn't hold a candle against Tesla as far as tech and performance is concerned.
I agree 100% with your statement. The etron gt is stunning but I wouldn’t buy it over a model s because of the tech, performance and how far along Tesla’s supercharger network is compared to its competitors. Dare I say I actually also prefer the interior of the new model s over any other vehicle

Looks are subjective but I think the Audi RS Etron GT is gorgeous and the best looking EV so far. Too bad it doesn't hold a candle against Tesla as far as tech and performance is concerned.
And range. VW/Porsche/Audi Evs are way behind on max battery range (at least as advertised and EPA ratings). Too bad...if the max battery range on the new Audi E-Tron GT RS would've been > 300 mi., I probably would've placed my order, although it's quite pricey > $150k loaded. A bit much.

Reactions: Tigers
I agree 100% with your statement. The etron gt is stunning but I wouldn’t buy it over a model s because of the tech, performance and how far along Tesla’s supercharger network is compared to its competitors. Dare I say I actually also prefer the interior of the new model s over any other vehicle

I agree - the new Model S interior is my favorite from what we can see of it. I like the minimalism approach, whenever I get rental cars after my Model 3, I nearly have a heart attack looking at all the buttons and what not. Also, it's funny seeing tiny little 8, 9 , 10 inch screens that are laggy as *sugar* on cars now.

IDK - personally, I don't think I could go back to a traditional looking car on the inside. I've been driving around a Volt which feel cramped (no moon roof), a decent chunk of buttons on the steering wheel (no idea what the hell they are for) and a screen that I was annoyed with the very minute I started interacting with it. Not fast, not precise and lacked any real usefulness as the backup camera is way too small to see anything.

Reactions: T-Racer
And range. VW/Porsche/Audi Evs are way behind on max battery range (at least as advertised and EPA ratings). Too bad...if the max battery range on the new Audi E-Tron GT RS would've been > 300 mi., I probably would've placed my order, although it's quite pricey > $150k loaded. A bit much.
It has the same drivetrain as the Taycan which exceeds its EPA range by a huge amount. Look for actual tests, not EPA tests on the Audi and Taycan.