Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has the same drivetrain as the Taycan which exceeds its EPA range by a huge amount. Look for actual tests, not EPA tests on the Audi and Taycan.
Yes I know and I've seen the "real world" tests but if the Taycan/E-Tron GT really did close to 300 mi. or over 300 mi. range, then WHY wouldn't the mfgr AND the EPA rate the vehicles that way? It's strange and I won't take a chance to purchase/drive an EV with advertised/EPA rated LOWER range than my Jaguar I-Pace had (250 max battery range). On many occassions, I drive 170-200 mi. in 1 day and don't have time to stop to charge up. That's one big reason why I have a MS Plaid on order...will get > 300 mi. (Tesla is saying 350 mi. max battery range for the MS Plaid w/ 21" wheels) so I feel much more comfortable with +100 mi. of max battery range over what I'm used to! ;)

We can’t compare what apple does to Tesla in this instance. Apple works on its software behind closed doors for years then release a beta version of the newest update 3-4 months before release. The released beta software the testers get is multiple builds behind what apple is currently testing and by the time the final release candidates are to release to the general public they have already been implemented on the news phones that are being built way before the gm is released. I’ve been part of the apple developer program since it first became a thing paying $99 a year and having my buddies test the beta software with me.

In Tesla’s instance like many have pointed out Tesla doesn’t do things the conventional way. They haven’t tested v11 anywhere besides internally on manufacturer cars. So to say why don’t they build the cars now and have them sit until the sw is ready wouldn’t make sense, since they don’t even know when it’ll be ready. Let’s say they started ramping production in March and the cars sit until June. How does that look for the company in the eyes of investors that cars are sitting for months while Tesla works out the issues with the new hardware being coded with new sw. one other common thing about all the mules we have seen is they don’t have the dash cluster. Could that be an issue with them or are they having problems coding it, again we don’t know just speculation.

Another thing let’s not compare anything vw does lol
Well, in your example of making cars in March and delivering in June, versus not starting to make cars until June, which do you think is better? If they could make complete cars (hardware) now, they would even if they couldn't deliver/recognize the revenue until the software was finished.
The S/X line is otherwise idle. Idle time can't be made up later. This is not software, plain and simple.

It has the same drivetrain as the Taycan which exceeds its EPA range by a huge amount. Look for actual tests, not EPA tests on the Audi and Taycan.
The government has standardized range (and MPG) tests for good reason: so consumers can make meaningful comparisons. I once drove my Focus Electric rated at 76 miles for more than 100 miles, but so what? The 76 mile rated range was typically about right, and on winter days driving back and forth to work it was good for about 45 miles. The US EPA tests provide a useful basis for comparison between vehicles. The purpose of "actual tests" or "real world tests" is to enable people to pretend a car has more or less range than it actually does.

Reactions: epotter
I agree - the new Model S interior is my favorite from what we can see of it. I like the minimalism approach, whenever I get rental cars after my Model 3, I nearly have a heart attack looking at all the buttons and what not. Also, it's funny seeing tiny little 8, 9 , 10 inch screens that are laggy as *sugar* on cars now.

IDK - personally, I don't think I could go back to a traditional looking car on the inside. I've been driving around a Volt which feel cramped (no moon roof), a decent chunk of buttons on the steering wheel (no idea what the hell they are for) and a screen that I was annoyed with the very minute I started interacting with it. Not fast, not precise and lacked any real usefulness as the backup camera is way too small to see anything.
Funny you say that because I can’t stand going from either of my Tesla’s to driving my M5. My model 3 performance is in the shop getting ppf, tints and ceramic coating so I’ve been driving the m5 around and yes it’s fun but I hate going from the minimalist more advanced Tesla to the buttons that require 4 steps to do 1 thing of my BMW.
Well, in your example of making cars in March and delivering in June, versus not starting to make cars until June, which do you think is better? If they could make complete cars (hardware) now, they would even if they couldn't deliver/recognize the revenue until the software was finished.
The S/X line is otherwise idle. Idle time can't be made up later. This is not software, plain and simple.
Do you honestly believe that Tesla would build cars and have them sit around for months if the issue is software related? The stock would plummet and idk about you but I’m a stockholder and that’s the last thing I want. Tesla is under a microscope for every move they make and having thousands of model s cars sitting around waiting for sw doesn’t look good for them as a company. You could believe the reason for the holdup is other issues, which is fine because we’re all speculating, but if we’re getting hw4, plus new software which requires those 2 to work together before the car is ready. The reason it might be so is because Elon said they’re still doing work on version 9 beta and that might be held up until June. Now if that’s an issue for the beta then it’s also an issue for sw v11 which is the base software for version 9 beta.

Not to beat a dead horse, but while my instinct as an engineer tells me this is too far off to be worth investing now, the guy and his team managed to learn how to land an inherently unstable rocket coming from space on a rocking platform in the ocean when not a soul in NASA(i.e. really freaking smart people) thought it could be done. That took his team 2-3 years to figure out. For that reason, i am willing to make a leap of faith.
How many Engineers are on this thread? 🤣 I think a lot......

Reactions: elguapo
Two points on the FSD discussion:
1) I think it is overpriced and I'm buying it because I too am a tech nerd. I paid $2K for an early version of Cadillac's Adaptive Cruise Control in 2004 and have had it on every car since then. The idea of my car having capabilities that I can't use gets in my head. But that is just me and it is totally a choice. I think the idea of a subscription makes a lot of sense. It will also give real-time feedback on the price-point. I don't think a lot of people will pay an extra $100/month for the relatively small incremental upgrade. They certainly won't pay it for a future promise when they can just wait.

2) I just can't get the Elon Musk tweet about the Ford CEO Farley mocking Tesla's testing FSD on their customers instead of just in-house. Seriously... the Ford CEO's name is Farley... so Musk tweets a driving clip from Chris Farley in Tommy Boy in reference to the new Ford driving tech:
Brutal

Excellent. A three minute video of an S from the same angle the entire time. I know it’s hard while driving, but edit down the video before posting, man.

Yes, Tesla will deliver new S and X vehicles. When? Who knows. Doesn’t matter to Tesla as it doesn’t drive their revenue and they already have a poor reputation for communication, etc.

Also, the S and X are THE major refreshes that will compete against forthcoming Lucid, Rivian, Porsche, Mercedes, etc models. So whatever it is, Tesla sure as *sugar* (shout out to @Tigers) doesn’t want to mess it up and have some major issue that effectively throws shade on all the progress they’ve made over the past decade. Let them take their time and give us their best. And the market will decide.

“Estimated Delivery: -“ but May/June from my SA. Who, while responsive, is about as useful as the $100 I donated to Tesla in their Kickstarter, I mean, Model S, refresh campaign...

Not to beat a dead horse, but while my instinct as an engineer tells me this is too far off to be worth investing now, the guy and his team managed to learn how to land an inherently unstable rocket coming from space on a rocking platform in the ocean when not a soul in NASA(i.e. really freaking smart people) thought it could be done. That took his team 2-3 years to figure out. For that reason, i am willing to make a leap of faith.
Now imagine landing said rocket when there are dozens of other rockets, pedestrians, buildings and other things to crash into.
FSD is more than hitting a bullseye target once or destroying an expendable booster engine, it's about recognizing and managing potentially a hundred or more mobile obstacles that may or may not be blocking your path at this second. One second later, some of the obstacles that were in your path aren't and the ones that weren't, are. Some of those obstacles will do unpredictable things.
Now you have to do all that while protecting the squishy humans inside.

Stopping by to post a real delivery update :D :D or a lack of one that is.

from my inside sales person here in GA.

1. About a week ago, I asked him if they will put the car on a truck without payment to GA or will that have to be finished first?
Answer:
The car will be shipped here without payment. Nothing is due until the day of Delivery, and transportation will continue without it.
You can pay early via cashier's check, and ACH Payments become available 48 hours prior to your delivery.

2. I asked him almost immediately after he sent that if there had been any VIN assignments yet.
Answer:
No, nothing yet.
However, I am keeping my ears out in other Markets, to see if they have any updates as well.

Though I know I'm only 5 weeks into this process, I'm still hopeful for May or June (within my 10-14 weeks). This is probably the most honest answer I've seen so far from any of the posts :)