Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the lack of an the promised update is the really odd part. It makes me think the feature set is not complete or otherwise being revised.

Yeah something is going on - why the hell were they wind tunnel testing in a couple of weeks ago...that's really strange, unless they are trying to beat the EQS's .20 cD, which is something Elon would do. But hey - if we can get some improved range numbers etc., that'd make up for the wait.

I mean, the website still says it is the lowest cD car on Earth...

Anyone want to bet that number is .199 in a couple of weeks?

Attachments

• Screenshot_14.png
    Screenshot_14.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I think the lack of an the promised update is the really odd part. It makes me think the feature set is not complete or otherwise being revised. If you look at the car they announced, it is no longer the unrivaled leader of the pack--Audi, MB, Lucid, Porsche, and others are closing (or have closed) the distance in various ways and that is not sitting well with the TechnoKing--they were caught napping.
I agree with the above AND I believe the nappers have been caught. Color me overly optimistic, but I expect the TechnoKing is cracking the whip as we speak. The scramble is on big time in Fremont and the car we eventually receive will surprise. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

I share the thinking of the last few dozen posts. While the lead is not as commanding as it once was, I think the S is still the most complete EV out there...and I think it will be worth the wait...and I'll continue this Stockholm syndrome relationship with this company because of that. I am luck that I work from home and we have the X.

Really, the only limiting reagent on this is my wife's patience with having to share her car.*

*There is an unresolved bug in our X from day one, were the car does not properly remember profile settings, so if I drive the car and set it up for me, when she goes to drive, she has to manually fix seat position, etc

Reactions: Moose57
I agree with the above AND I believe the nappers have been caught. Color me overly optimistic, but I expect the TechnoKing is cracking the whip as we speak. The scramble is on big time in Fremont and the car we eventually receive will surprise. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.
The best case scenario would be they decided to add features intended for the plaid+ to stave off competition, and they delayed the plaid+ because it will now need to include new features.

What we will agree on is Tesla foolishly leaving the door open for legacy OEMs to come in and take market share over simple *sugar* like not treating your paying customers with a little respect with an email or tweet regarding the status of their very expensive car. It's almost comical how easy it would be for him to remove much of the angst and annoyance by giving a real update with a real timeline + maybe a pre recorded video highlighting the new cars features to hold us over
I think Elon is more interested in mass marketing the product than creating an elite(ist) vehicle. The way he conducts himself is more like the Pied Piper than anything. This obsession with being anti-establishment bleeds into his 53M followers. Being crass and aloof is the new Henry Ford. He knows they cant drive enough profit from the high end models. His hope of keeping the value of the equity high is in a SAAS model using the car as an ecosystem. He had best hope the greatest mass market company doesn’t decide to enter the marketplace, it will consume sales from Tesla, guaranteed. They know how to market AND operate. Just my .02

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
Yeah something is going on - why the hell were they wind tunnel testing in a couple of weeks ago...that's really strange, unless they are trying to beat the EQS's .20 cD, which is something Elon would do. But hey - if we can get some improved range numbers etc., that'd make up for the wait.

I mean, the website still says it is the lowest cD car on Earth...

Anyone want to bet that number is .199 in a couple of weeks?
That might explain why MX is showing deliveries May-June and MS is still 10-14 weeks out

I think Elon is more interested in mass marketing the product than creating an elite(ist) vehicle.

I agree with that in that he wants EVs as a viable alternative for the masses--it supports the mission. I am not sure how well they can compete in that space in the long run. VAG, Toyota, the Koreans, even the Chinese understand how to successfully build for that space. Look at the build quality on the ID.4 or the cheapest KIA ICE and Tesla is still figuring out how to paint cars properly after almost a decade.

Reactions: Moose57
I think the lack of an the promised update is the really odd part. It makes me think the feature set is not complete or otherwise being revised. If you look at the car they announced, it is no longer the unrivaled leader of the pack--Audi, MB, Lucid, Porsche, and others are closing (or have closed) the distance in various ways and that is not sitting well with the TechnoKing--they were caught napping.
I think you nailed it. As far as we can see there is nothing revolutionary about the refresh and the delays seem disproportionate to the changes. Not saying there are not a lot of welcome new features, it’s just not a whole new platform or even car. To be off this much in terms of deliveries seems extreme.

Hopefully this just translates into an even better car. Once delivered. :)

I think you nailed it. As far as we can see there is nothing revolutionary about the refresh and the delays seem disproportionate to the changes. Not saying there are not a lot of welcome new features, it’s just not a whole new platform or even car. To be off this much in terms of deliveries seems extreme.

Hopefully this just translates into an even better car. Once delivered. :)

Why do people keep saying this? The only thing that is the same is most of the exterior. It's very much a completely different car.

Went to get my Macan serviced and told the guys at the dealership I had ordered a model S. They then proceeded to let me take a Taycan Turbo as a loaner for the day. Absolutely loving this car and seriously considering a refund from Tesla and going ahead with a Taycan Turbo S. I’ve never driven a Tesla before and was hoping the Plaid would be a good car to finally switch for. I think I’m sticking with Porsche because I don’t know how long this wait will be and I can’t imagine it being much better than the Taycan Turbo.

Went to get my Macan serviced and told the guys at the dealership I had ordered a model S. They then proceeded to let me take a Taycan Turbo as a loaner for the day. Absolutely loving this car and seriously considering a refund from Tesla and going ahead with a Taycan Turbo S. I’ve never driven a Tesla before and was hoping the Plaid would be a good car to finally switch for. I think I’m sticking with Porsche because I don’t know how long this wait will be and I can’t imagine it being much better than the Taycan Turbo.

Cool. First turbo with no lag. It's an awesome car, but not the EV for me. :)

As much as I hate it (and you all have certainly seen my bi-polarness about it) - this is the only car, period, that checks all the boxes for me. The price, the range, the performance, the looks, the tech, the storage, the handling... there's nothing else out there. The Taycan looks like a great car (only seen, never driven) but the price is above what I am wanting to pay (as you all probably know, Porsche loves those customizations). Outside of that? Literally nothing.

Look, coming from a Model 3, which was the best car I have ever personally owned or driven, I just can't go back to ICE. I can't. I hate everything about it (as mentioned before, dealership experience, transmissions, exhaust, maintenance, etc.)

This wait is a MAJOR pain in the ass and is really annoying. But I do believe, that once the wait is over, we are all going to be glad we stuck it out to pick one up and if we go and buy something else, more than likely we will probably have some regrets. These cars are pretty damn awesome, which is why everyone puts up with some of the BS that shouldn't be a problem for the world's most valuable automaker.

At this point, as long as July is truly the longest we wait, then I'm OK and prepared to do that. If it becomes December, then I doubt it, as that will be too close for my Rivian reservation. But I think this thing is going to be amazing.
I agree with you. I was just thinking about all of this tonight as my family & I went down to Miami (South Beach) this evening for my bday dinner...all the amazing but crazy, insane expensive cars parked outside the restaurant and slowly creeping by...hypercars - Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, and several Rolls Royces (some new Rolls SUV? ...looked like a long Bentley Bentayga) & Bentleys parked out front as well...we even had a celebrity sighting in the restaurant we dined at...Jamie Foxx! He was at the table next to us...very cool. 😎

All very cool and those awesome dream sports cars all sounded and looked great BUT the funny thing is that (supposedly since it technically hasn't been verified yet) the new refreshed Tesla Model S Plaid will SMOKE every single one of them without any problem whatsoever...and for 1/3rd -1/5th the cost!!!! 😜 And yes, I'm so tired of stopping at the gas station and going in for oil/filter changes and other maintenance...ha...no thank you to the ICE vehicles moving forward. Right now, I miss my Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV, but I'm okay waiting 1-2 more months until I get my MS Plaid. ;) 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: TNGuy99
"Real World" range or not, Porsche Mfgr and EPA range numbers are around 200-220 miles max range for Taycan Turbo vs. 350-390 mi. for Tesla Model S Plaid (and even if Tesla is off by a bunch, you're still > 300 mi. for MS Plaid); sorry but for me, I cannot go back to 250 mi. range or less AND for LESS power/performance for MORE $$ with Porsche! No thank you.

Last edited:
I must say I went for a test drive of the Taycan 4s last week and I was impressed and ALMOST cancelled my order. The interior, handling/suspension, build quality, and looks, are all there for the Taycan, but the range and the technology can't match the MS. I know people are saying the "real world" range of the Taycan is more like 260, but still.... so I'm sticking with the MS, but man is it tempting!

"Real World" range or not, Porsche Mfgr and EPA range numbers are around 200-220 miles max range for Taycan Turbo vs. 350-390 mi. for Tesla Model S Plaid (and even if Tesla is off by a bunch, you're still > 300 mi. for MS Plaid); sorry but for me, I cannot go back to 250 mi. range or less AND for LESS power/performance for MORE $$ with Porsche! No thank you.

Not to mention the supercharger network >>> Electrify America.

Reactions: Tigers