Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m new to the Tesla tribe as well. Ordered my Model S Plaid beginning of March. I’m not getting any notifications or information from “dealerships” regarding updates for delivery. I have several things to do before taking ownership (insurance, financing,etc) of my vehicle and stressed that I won’t have time to get it all done if not given a heads up for ETA. Appreciate TMC’s members and the information they provide.
My understanding is that your SA and/or Tesla corp will send you an email or text about 2 weeks before expected delivery along with your VIN. Yiu should have plenty of time getting all those outstanding items done. In the meantime, you're probably looking at June or July for delivery anyhow like most of us here.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I was lurking on the Rivian page for a bit and finally placed an order for a R1S. If my Model S doesn't show up by August, I am going to wait a few more months for the Rivian
Exact same thing here. Put a deposit down on an R1S. That said, it appears to be a different vehicle than even the X. My plan is to hopefully test drive one this summer (when allowed) and decide between R1S and X, assuming the X is still delayed by the time I physical see a Rivian.

Reactions: elguapo
Ok, here's a crazy one: Elon happened to make the refresh announcement right around the same time that he was rounding the bag at second base and heading to third in discussions to sell Tesla to Company X. Right after the refresh announcement, he found himself on third and realized he might just be able to make it home. He decided not to complicate the deal by investing in infrastructure, personnel, software development that may not return his investment in said infrastructure. Besides, Company X realizes you win more games by playing small ball (selling 3's and Y's) than swinging for the fences (selling high margin S's and X's), so Tesla is in a holding pattern as they try to appease the buyer. Elon is remaining silent until it is clear that the deal is done (or not done), as he can't say anything that might tip anyone off.

While this has close to a zero percent chance of reflecting reality, I thought it might be fun to bat this one around. Who do you think Company X is? Will this merger/acquisition solve Tesla's growing pains (no PR department, decaying customer service, quality issues on vehicles, huge hiccups on supply chain management, etc.)....?
Meet Kevin had a YouTube video about a possible deal with Toyota but maybe it's a corroboration to produce the $25k Tesla model.

I put down a deposit for an R1S awhile ago.. The R1S would fit my lifestyle better in some ways than a MS, and at this point, I’m starting to think that maybe I should just wait on the Rivian.

Personally I think the reason for the delay is simple. The MS and MX were NOT anywhere near ready for production in February, and Elon was simply engaging in very irresponsible wishful thinking when he eluded to deliveries February. After all he has a long history seriously missed timelines.

I read that Elon manages Tesla like a software company. While that approach may have worked work well for Tesla (from an engineering perspective) when it was a startup and customers were more tolerant, I think people expect more consistency from an established brand.

I’m not sure how useful to Tesla Elon’s presence is now. I think Tesla needs a mature leadership direction now more than it needs frenetic energy. So I kind of wish Elon would go play with his rockets and leave Tesla alone.

If at the time he said they were ready in February they were not - why? It would have been best to keep making the current version for sales until the refresh was ready for production. Something happened to the line or something happened to the design/supply chain that has caused this delay.

Just makes no sense to shutdown the line at the end of December if they would not be ready shortly. I think he really thought they were or at least would be ready.

My best guess is:
1) Production line/tooling/labor issue
2) Supply chain issue (talk to people directly in the chain to find out how fluid and quickly changing it is - and how out of control logistics is still)
3) FCC approval of internal radar - not something to circumnavigate until approved

Reactions: scrapps and elguapo
Reactions: Drew-MS