Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be honest, the most surprising parts of the call for me was the battery talk. First there was the completely-out-of-left-field comment on battery safety. I don't think anyone had that on their bingo card.

The second was the comment about 14(?) months to scale the 4860 battery production given the comments regarding CT and Semi delivery this year.

Everyone take one step forward in line (at least everyone behind me). I couldn’t wait any longer for an update and pulled the trigger on another car. I am on the cyber truck waitlist and may pull the trigger on one of those when they arrive.

Good luck to you all and look forward to seeing the pics of the S’s when they roll in.
Congrats on the new car - do you mind sharing what you went with?

It blows my mind that anyone can believe that Tesla will be delivering the Cybertruck this year. If they’re having this much trouble working the gremlins out of a refreshed model S, how the hell are they going to deliver the Cybertruck this year. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cybertruck gets delayed until well into next year.

So glad I have a Rivian on order.
And we'll all be smirking when you complain about all the "gremlins" coming out to wreak havoc on your brand new Rivian from a brand new EV manufacturer. 🤪 Just as an FYI, I was the first one in my county here in South Florida to take delivery (12/1/18) on a brand new EV manufactured by a very well known and experienced auto manufacturer, JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) and let me just say I thought I would have to "lemon law" the vehicle in the first 12 months of ownership due to all the s/w failures and bugs...they all drove me crazy the multiple times I had to bring the vehicle in for service for days (each time) since Jaguar (JLR) didn't have their over-the-air updates for EV owners up and running for 12+ months after they began the first deliveries on the vehicles. Even on the day I sold the vehicle > 2 years later, there was a s/w bug which wasn't solved by any OTA s/w update and had to be brought in for service at the dealer so they could try to fix it. I said no thank you, and sold the car. :rolleyes::p

I will be honest, the most surprising parts of the call for me was the battery talk. First there was the completely-out-of-left-field comment on battery safety. I don't think anyone had that on their bingo card.

The second was the comment about 14(?) months to scale the 4860 battery production given the comments regarding CT and Semi delivery this year.
Are you sure he said battery safety or factory safety? I could have sworn that statement was around the factory safety and not necessarily around the battery itself.

@doubleshot I heard battery.

Anyone remember that white model s, I think one of the very first ones with an image posted? Explains that tow hook.

The new cars are cheaper to produce because the packs are smaller but much more efficient. I've been on that one since the announcement.

I am concerned about the batteries, but I'm also not likely one of the first 1000 to get it. So I'm not touching anything right now.

Hopefully they were able to find whatever it was, but sort of concerning they had this problem at all.

Overall, the call didn't change much for me. I have two cars right now that I'm good with living with until the end of the year if need be. So no worries. I just hope they straighten everything out and the cars aren't ridiculously buggy (I don't think they will be).

And we'll all be smirking when you complain about all the "gremlins" coming out to wreak havoc on your brand new Rivian from a brand new EV manufacturer. 🤪 Just as an FYI, I was the first one in my county here in South Florida to take delivery (12/1/18) on a brand new EV manufactured by a very well known and experienced auto manufacturer, JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) and let me just say I thought I would have to "lemon law" the vehicle in the first 12 months of ownership due to all the s/w failures and bugs...they all drove me crazy the multiple times I had to bring the vehicle in for service for days (each time) since Jaguar (JLR) didn't have their over-the-air updates for EV owners up and running for 12+ months after they began the first deliveries on the vehicles. Even on the day I sold the vehicle > 2 years later, there was a s/w bug which wasn't solved by any OTA s/w update and had to be brought in for service at the dealer so they could try to fix it. I said no thank you, and sold the car. :rolleyes::p
That is a good point.

My '13 Model S certainly had its share of issues, but the difference then was that Tesla Service was phenomenal back and you could talk to your service advisor about things and there was a general feeling that you were both strapped into the same rocket ship going on the same ride. The Service experience has, um, evolved since then.

Rivian and Lucid are gonna have their share of build issues and SW glitches, but if the are smart, they'll use each on of those to strengthen the brand connection though an outstanding service experience.

Congrats on the car!

Maybe I’m the odd one out here but who cares what the delays are about? Who are we to judge and know better? Just want my car. Sooner the better. Good things take time. Hope it comes in June. If it’s July I’ll enjoy it in July. Just gimme :cool:
I’m with you. I’ll repeat one of my favorite quotes again.
“There’s never enough time to do it right but there’s always enough time to do it over.”
Better to wait now, then waiting for issues to be resolved by the service center after delivery.

That is a good point.

My '13 Model S certainly had its share of issues, but the difference then was that Tesla Service was phenomenal back and you could talk to your service advisor about things and there was a general feeling that you were both strapped into the same rocket ship going on the same ride. The Service experience has, um, evolved since then.

Rivian and Lucid are gonna have their share of build issues and SW glitches, but if the are smart, they'll use each on of those to strengthen the brand connection though an outstanding service experience.
I think both Lucid & Rivian will ultimately be very successful in their niches in the EV world but it will likely take a painful few years of growing pains and learning from mistakes to evolve into excellent alternative EVs to Tesla and the big Mfgrs. In fact, if I don’t have the most awesome experience with my Tesla MS Plaid, the Lucid Air GT may be my next EV after my first Tesla EV…time will tell.

Just a little off topic here but I'm a bit confused on the TSLA earnings report...crushed the numbers, beat analysts estimates and yet the stock slid > $18 after hours...thoughts as to why (besides the ambiguity on MS LR & Plaid production & deliveries)? btw - my account still says July.Everyone take one step forward in line (at least everyone behind me). I couldn’t wait any longer for an update and pulled the trigger on another car. I am on the cyber truck waitlist and may pull the trigger on one of those when they arrive.
Good luck to you all and look forward to seeing the pics of the S’s when they roll in.
Take 2 steps, I cancelled my MS LR and order MS Plaid - i gave up my spot in line and will get the plaid sooner anyway, I think.

Off topic, but there’s no guarantee Rivian will deliver on time and they will certainly have their own issues. As will Lucid, etc. It IS hard to be an auto startup.

Delivery is still estimated as “-“. I no longer view it as a dash, but as a negative sign. As in “not gonna happen any time soon…”

I drove by Lucid Air #127 yesterday (or maybe 123). The car had some wrap with the number on it. Looks good from outside.

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
Are you sure he said battery safety or factory safety? I could have sworn that statement was around the factory safety and not necessarily around the battery itself.
I listened twice for the same reason. I’m 99% sure he said ‘battery’ and then referred to a more energy dense smaller pack being the problem. Makes sense with 3 motors plus a 3rd row apparently. Sounds like a good reason to delay deliveries to me! I don’t think anyone wants to have a problem with battery safety with their new car.

a few seconds later his connection seemed to cut out when he was discussing some other details about MS, which was frustrating!

I listened twice for the same reason. I’m 99% sure he said ‘battery’ and then referred to a more energy dense smaller pack being the problem. Makes sense with 3 motors plus a 3rd row apparently. Sounds like a good reason to delay deliveries to me! I don’t think anyone wants to have a problem with battery safety with their new car.

a few seconds later his connection seemed to cut out when he was discussing some other details about MS, which was frustrating!
Haven’t listen myself... but, wouldn’t this right here confirm they actually went with a smaller pack (~90kw) like some were speculating for awhile due to the weight lost and faster supercharging.

From what I’ve read, earnings inflated by credits and Bitcoin sale, which are both non-operating/sustainable income. Without those two items, would have posted a loss.
I think one analyst said loss per vehicle was $900+ or something close to that.

edit: Tesla Loses A Lot Of Money Selling Cars, But Makes It All Back On Credits And Bitcoin

Well, that also includes $614M in stock comp expense, which is a non cash expense. So, excluding stock comp and regulatory credits, they still made money on cars.

From what I’ve read, earnings inflated by credits and Bitcoin sale, which are both non-operating/sustainable income. Without those two items, would have posted a loss.
I think one analyst said loss per vehicle was $900+ or something close to that.

edit: Tesla Loses A Lot Of Money Selling Cars, But Makes It All Back On Credits And Bitcoin
Jalopnik as a Tesla source?
1619497599979.png

• Funny
Reactions: foos and elguapo
A MS order in Sweden now states Q1 2022 - both for plaid and LR. Said November yesterday.
Sorry, Sweden. I think they’re so backlogged with US orders, Tesla is prioritizing getting US deliveries first this year, although not sure why they would be pushing back non-US MS LR & Plaid orders to next year? That’s a shame. Sorry. We feel your pain and disappointment.

Well, that also includes $614M in stock comp expense, which is a non cash expense. So, excluding stock comp and regulatory credits, they still made money on cars.
Stock comp may be non cash but it’s still an expense, so outside of the Bitcoin and clean air credits they still lose money. Although it’s not fair to say they lose $900 per car. It’s more appropriate to say the profit made on cars doesn’t cover all the corporate overhead and associated expenses.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos