Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone think that there's a tie-in between the FSD V9 with the refresh? Just asking - you know, to open a can of worms of speculation.
Initial reaction is no.. it has more tie in with V11 of the software and not FSD... buttttt.. there could be some unreleased features we don't know about that they really want as part of v11 release. Birds Eye view with vector objects as Elon talked about...

It is interesting that emails of release timelines are supposedly going out the same time FSD v9 private beta is going out. They must of hit some kind of milestone.

Mine is listed on the page I get when I click the "manage" button.
Apparently not in my case... this is all I get after clicking Manage on my reservation build.
1620832245245.png

“The first three digits of the VIN, “5JY,” indicates that the vehicle was manufactured by Tesla, as 5YJ represents Tesla’s World Manufacturer Identifier. All Tesla VINs begin with 5YJ.”
Thanks for responding, but what point are you making here? I'm overly famliiar with VIN format and structure. Not sure how your comment is relevant to understanding what my expected delivery date is.

Thank you for this tip. I did not realize Tesla offered it and I assume they won't much longer. I'm definitely buying the extra 2 years, as my initial 4 years will be done in 2 years
The extended service agreement makes sense for those that keep their cars for many years. I used to buy extended warranties but later realized it didn’t make sense since I typically traded or sold my cars when I started getting bored. Occasionally in less than a year, but mostly about two years. In most cases, extended warranties are just profit for dealerships. With Tesla’s, the most important components (battery, electric motors) are covered for 8 years. However, Idk the price of the extended service agreement, but I’m replying because you (or Hayseed) mentioned you will only hold on to the car for a couple years.
Edit: my apology, it was Hayseed ha

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The extended service agreement makes sense for those that keep their cars for many years. I used to buy extended warranties but later realized it didn’t make sense since I typically traded or sold my cars when I started getting bored. Occasionally in less than a year, but mostly about two years. In most cases, extended warranties are just profit for dealerships. With Tesla’s, the most important components (battery, electric motors) are covered for 8 years. However, Idk the price of the extended service agreement, but I’m replying because you (or Hayseed) mentioned you will only hold on to the car for a couple years.

I target 1-2 years due to mileage and boredom. I do not do the extended warranties either. I did do it once in my life and that one time it paid for itself. Looking back on all my cars - even the Land Rovers/Jaguars - it never would have been beneficial because they were basically trouble free and I did not keep most past 70-100k miles (I can put up to 40k per year).

Reactions: TNGuy99 and Drew-MS
I think what it really comes down to is that Musk is completely unreliable when it comes to timelines.

Has there actually been a single instance where Musk achieved one of his projected completion dates?

Finally, Tesla hasn’t suffered in the US for its slack customer facing practices because there haven’t been any real repercussions from customers or regulating bodies. I think this will start changing if either better competition arises or more people start dying b/c of stupid FSD behavior.
You’re right but at least now we know why Elon is the way he is. I wonder if execs at Tesla knew about it.
I target 1-2 years due to mileage and boredom. I do not do the extended warranties either. I did do it once in my life and that one time it paid for itself. Looking back on all my cars - even the Land Rovers/Jaguars - it never would have been beneficial because they were basically trouble free and I did not keep most past 70-100k miles (I can put up to 40k per year).
Makes sense.. I had a Range Rover Sport SC in 2008. The saleswoman talked me into the extended warranty lol. It was a waste of money since I never had a single issue and traded after 2 years.

Apparently not in my case... this is all I get after clicking Manage on my reservation build.
View attachment 661585

This is because your order is a Plaid+, which isn’t shipping anytime soon...possibly not until the middle of next year due to the 4680 battery production ramp up. There’s no definitive statement those will use the new cells, but it seems obvious, and on the last earnings call Elon said it may be 12-18 months to finalize those cells.

Reactions: Dameon
Edit: my apology, it was Hayseed ha

Thanks to Hayseed for sharing! I plan to keep the car for a while, so this looks very interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn’t include batteries, maybe because 8 years is the default and maximum they want to cover.

From the extended warranty page:
“excluding the car’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty.”

Reactions: Drew-MS
Good points for buying except you can do tint and ceramic on a lease. My last 3 vehicles have all had tint and the last 2 ceramic coated. It may be different with Tesla, but BMW and Mercedes couldn't care less that the car came back with tint and in the case of my Mercedes, they even said they were using the 9H coating as a positive on resale.
The issue with the lease is some items factor into the residual and some don't. By factoring into the residual, you are only paying for the part that you use. Items like coatings and dealer add-ons do not factor into the residual and are paid in full by the buyer during the term of the lease. FSD is factored into the residual, meaning you're only paying for a percentage of the cost in the lease, not the entire $10K.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Initial reaction is no.. it has more tie in with V11 of the software and not FSD... buttttt.. there could be some unreleased features we don't know about that they really want as part of v11 release. Birds Eye view with vector objects as Elon talked about...
Maybe. If the new S and X do not have radar at all, they probably need to make they have a production-grade vision-only release to go with it. Even if they don't turn on new features, they want to make sure they don't introduce regressions. It would make more sense to do that on v9 then back-port it to v8.

The extended service agreement makes sense for those that keep their cars for many years. I used to buy extended warranties but later realized it didn’t make sense since I typically traded or sold my cars when I started getting bored.
I normally do not either even though we hold onto cars til the wheels start to come off. However, we did for the S and the X as we purchased both in the first year of production and so reliability was an unknown.

Reactions: elguapo and Drew-MS
I think what it really comes down to is that Musk is completely unreliable when it comes to timelines.

Has there actually been a single instance where Musk achieved one of his projected completion dates?

Finally, Tesla hasn’t suffered in the US for its slack customer facing practices because there haven’t been any real repercussions from customers or regulating bodies. I think this will start changing if either better competition arises or more people start dying b/c of stupid FSD behavior.
Tesla missed Model Y timeline by hitting it 6 month earlier.

Kinda the same for me. I started leasing in 2011 and will never go back to buying and it honestly has nothing to do with the money. I simply do not want a car, especially an EV or a German car, for longer than 3 years. I get bored fast and want something new and do not want to deal with trading in or worse, selling to a private party. I get bored after a year and just grin and bear the last 2 of each lease. 🤣

It's torture keeping a car that long!
You and me both, Jim. I have been leasing for 20 years and prefer it this way - I have been able to drive everything.

Thanks to Hayseed for sharing! I plan to keep the car for a while, so this looks very interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn’t include batteries, maybe because 8 years is the default and maximum they want to cover.

From the extended warranty page:
“excluding the car’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty.”
XCare provides warranties up to 10 additional years or 175k total miles. We mirror the factory ESA coverage, have only $100 deductible, and work around Tesla Service procedure (no inspectors sent, no requests for photos, no shorting their hourly rate, etc). Hit me up for a free, no hassle quote for coverage. [email protected] or check out our online calculator for sample rates www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care and scroll down to the rate calculator. These are just sample rates, we have more terms available for offline quotes. Cheers! -Brent

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Racer
Maybe. If the new S and X do not have radar at all, they probably need to make they have a production-grade vision-only release to go with it. Even if they don't turn on new features, they want to make sure they don't introduce regressions. It would make more sense to do that on v9 then back-port it to v8.

I normally do not either even though we hold onto cars til the wheels start to come off. However, we did for the S and the X as we purchased both in the first year of production and so reliability was an unknown.
If you are one of us that sold our AP1 cars for the first AP2 cars....you would know that Tesla doesn't necessarily think that way.

Reactions: croman
Here you go:

I see it as a win-win. If you get this and don't use it much, then Tesla comes out ahead, but you had peace-of-mind for four more years.

If you get it and your car turns into a repair nightmare post-warranty, you're covered for years 4 thru 8.

Odd that they refuse to offer it for the Model 3 and Model Y . . . .
What's the default/initial service warranty timeline before Extended Service Agreement kicks in?