Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really wondering when they'll start opening up config options such as yoke/no yoke and 5/7 seat. My 2/2 order was obviously with a yoke, but I'm not 100% sure I want that until I at least get some form of word on how hand-over-hand will be accomplished. Still, I'd rather get either than have to wait another 6+ months, which is what I suspect I'll have to do if I just cancel my order now and wait.

Hell, I usually only own cars for 2 years or so... This delay is putting me off my pace 😅

I'm really wondering when they'll start opening up config options such as yoke/no yoke and 5/7 seat. My 2/2 order was obviously with a yoke, but I'm not 100% sure I want that until I at least get some form of word on how hand-over-hand will be accomplished. Still, I'd rather get either than have to wait another 6+ months, which is what I suspect I'll have to do if I just cancel my order now and wait.

Hell, I usually only own cars for 2 years or so... This delay is putting me off my pace 😅
If it’s true that they’ve switched to Drive-By-Wire steering, then it may be intentional to only have a yoke that people see and know to be cautious and expect that it’s going to behave differently from a regular steering wheel.

If it’s true that they’ve switched to Drive-By-Wire steering, then it may be intentional to only have a yoke that people see and know to be cautious and expect that it’s going to behave differently from a regular steering wheel.
I’ve been told by Tesla people that the 1/2 steering wheel yoke does in fact behave differently at high speeds vs low speeds. At low speeds, it only needs a much lower degree turn to accomplish a sharp left or right turn as well as a u-turn. But supposedly, it behaves fairly normal on the highway and a slight turn of the wheel won’t send you off the highway into a ditch. We’ll see.

Although I still think Tesla should’ve made this information very clear and in writing explaining how it all works well ahead of the vehicle launch, if true, it would make sense that it is in fact computer-controlled drive-by-wire variable ratio steering. But, I agree they should’ve told the world months ago how they were going to accomplish this new steering.

I’ve been told by Tesla people that the 1/2 steering wheel yoke does in fact behave differently at high speeds vs low speeds. At low speeds, it only needs a much lower degree turn to accomplish a sharp left or right turn as well as a u-turn. But supposedly, it behaves fairly normal on the highway and a slight turn of the wheel won’t send you off the highway into a ditch. We’ll see.

Although I still think Tesla should’ve made this information very clear and in writing explaining how it all works well ahead of the vehicle launch, if true, it would make sense that it is in fact computer-controlled drive-by-wire variable ratio steering. But, I agree they should’ve told the world months ago how they were going to accomplish this new steering.
They probably didn’t know months ago how they were going to do it… :)

I was never concerned with how they were going to do it - did not even care. Speed adjusted steering is not new and a lot of cars have it so I trusted that Tesla would have that figured out already if they were putting the yoke on the vehicle. They will not even tell us what size tire is on it - do you really think they will tell us how the steering system works?

I was never concerned with how they were going to do it - did not even care. Speed adjusted steering is not new and a lot of cars have it so I trusted that Tesla would have that figured out already if they were putting the yoke on the vehicle. They will not even tell us what size tire is on it - do you really think they will tell us how the steering system works?
Understood but there were A LOT of very annoyed and concerned people who ordered these new MS vehicles with the yoke steering wheel and Tesla has known this; heck, even the NHTSA didn't even know if the thing was safe or not or legal or not. I didn't care about the stalkless part (blinker controls on the steering wheel) but the 1/2 steering wheel thing did concern me a lot.

An auto manufacturer (whether a software company or not) should explain (before launch) radically new ideas that are incorporated into new vehicles including such things as taking a full, round steering wheel and lopping off the top so you cannot do hand-over-hand turns...or at the very least, send out a damn memo to ALL Tesla Managers and SA's so they can explain to people how it works, how safe it is, and the actual documented advantages over a regular steering wheel! I mean when an expert and trusted race car driver like Randy Pobst (who I believe has been contracted and paid by Tesla for some auto testing) goes on tv and voices his concerns of average drivers using a 1/2 steering wheel yoke on public streets, then I think the manufacturer should make an effort to EXPLAIN it!

Understood but there were A LOT of very annoyed and concerned people who ordered these new MS vehicles with the yoke steering wheel and Tesla has known this; heck, even the NHTSA didn't even know if the thing was safe or not or legal or not. I didn't care about the stalkless part (blinker controls on the steering wheel) but the 1/2 steering wheel thing did concern me a lot.

An auto manufacturer (whether a software company or not) should explain (before launch) radically new ideas that are incorporated into new vehicles including such things as taking a full, round steering wheel and lopping off the top so you cannot do hand-over-hand turns...or at the very least, send out a damn memo to ALL Tesla Managers and SA's so they can explain to people how it works, how safe it is, and the actual documented advantages over a regular steering wheel! I mean when an expert and trusted race car driver like Randy Pobst (who I believe has been contracted and paid by Tesla for some auto testing) goes on tv and voices his concerns of average drivers using a 1/2 steering wheel yoke on public streets, then I think the manufacturer should make an effort to EXPLAIN it!

Nah, that is what life experience is for...
If these people were that annoyed, then do not buy it until after idiots like me test it out.

Unless you were a preorder, you ordered with a Yoke not knowing how it will work. No disclosure needed.
Quite often, auto manufacturers showcase a new vehicle with some sort of styling or features that don’t end up in the actual production vehicles. When a 1/2 yoke steering wheel was shown and revealed that it would be in the new refresh MS, everyone wanted to know if that was true and if so, how does it work when you cannot do hand-over-hand turns. So clearly, the correct thing to do is reveal how it works and assure everyone of its safety profile. Nothing crazy and unreasonable about that dude.

Reactions: Tigers
Well, Monday is another day, and the start of a new week. I think it likely will be some positive developments somewhere.

Doing an aircraft ferry job from Palo Alto. Gonna be driving up the 5 from LA in the AM, then team member will drive back down the 5 in the PM. We will keep a lookout for any loaded trailers heading south.

Was going to fly over the Fremont plant, with a GoPro on the wing, but weather conditions and airspace probably won't allow me getting closer than 1000 feet.

Return flight will be over the 5 SB, but I will be too high detect a car carrier from a semi.

Speed-variable assist is common (makes it easier to turn the wheel). Speed-variable ratio is usually limited to two different steering gears and isn’t very common. Drive-by-wire can do a continuously variable ratio which opens up a lot of possibilities.

All this complaining about hand over hand turning. How many tight circles and u-turns does anyone drive in a month, let alone every day? Stop with the yoke complaining. There is another thread for that. If you want a Tesla with a round steering wheel then you should be able to have one. Wait you can, it is called a Model 3 or Model Y.
On topic: my estimated delivery is June 1 - 30 and hasn’t changed for three days. Should see VIN assignment in the next 10 days. Maybe one for me.

All this complaining about hand over hand turning. How many tight circles and u-turns does anyone drive in a month, let alone every day? Stop with the yoke complaining. There is another thread for that. If you want a Tesla with a round steering wheel then you should be able to have one. Wait you can, it is called a Model 3 or Model Y.
On topic: my estimated delivery is June 1 - 30 and hasn’t changed for three days. Should see VIN assignment in the next 10 days. Maybe one for me.
If anyone gets a non black LR or plaid and absolutely HATES the Yoke, I'll be willing to take it off your hands...