Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to live in New Orleans. Driving a car as low as the Model S there is brave. Hope you went with 19" wheels!
It has air suspension and can be raised for going through some semi-flooded streets; one reason why I nixed the Lucid Air GT for now...no air suspension. I found the air suspension a very valuable tool in my Jaguar I-Pace EV for driving around South Florida in heavy thunderstorms.

It has air suspension and can be raised for going through some semi-flooded streets; one reason why I nixed the Lucid Air GT for now...no air suspension. I found the air suspension a very valuable tool in my Jaguar I-Pace EV for driving around South Florida in heavy thunderstorms.
He's talking about pot holes. Numerous, gigantic pot holes. My F-150 4x4 sometimes struggles to drive around uptown. I did go for the 19" wheels as I felt the 21" wheels would break rapidly. I have other vehicles I can drive uptown.

Reactions: bmt00 and sflgator
Those that live in NJ pay 0% tax on EVs, as much as the idea of flying out and driving back sounds like fun (and it was fun to do it to Texas, and to Germany for a BMW), it's certainly not worth the premium here haha.
I don't understand this tax discussion. You pay sales tax based on where you register the car, not where you collect it...

I don't understand this tax discussion. You pay sales tax based on where you register the car, not where you collect it...
This is true for most places, but any car delivered in California is charged CA sales tax, regardless of the state it will be registered in. The registering state may *also* tax you, or in some cases may issue you a credit for taxes already paid.

This is true for most places, but any car delivered in California is charged CA sales tax, regardless of the state it will be registered in. The registering state may *also* tax you, or in some cases my issue you a credit for taxes already paid.
Rhode Island has a similar policy. If I pay sales tax elsewhere, they will only charge the difference in tax, if the tax rate I already paid was lower than Rhode Island.

Reactions: lzolman and Drew-MS
Regarding the question about an out of state buyer picking up in Fremont (assuming they will start doing that again) and avoiding CA sales tax, it can be done. There’s a form the dealer needs to submit and as long as you live out of state, don’t register the car in CA, and don’t use it more than six of the first twelve months in CA, you don’t pay CA tax. I did it once when I lived in Vegas and the dealer took hours to figure it out, and I’d imagine Tesla would be worse, but it can be done.

Attachments

• 2CA4BCF1-6CF5-48AD-A1F7-B0516693AA90.png
    2CA4BCF1-6CF5-48AD-A1F7-B0516693AA90.png
    474.2 KB · Views: 72
This is true for most places, but any car delivered in California is charged CA sales tax, regardless of the state it will be registered in. The registering state may *also* tax you, or in some cases may issue you a credit for taxes already paid.
Nope. But it is a hassle and you would have to pay sales tax in your state when you register it. And few dealers are aware of how to do this so you’d have to walk them through it.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
World’s fifth largest economy if it were a country. World class educational institutions (Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley, etc.). World class scenery and outdoor activities — Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, Big Sur, Sequoia, etc. Ocean and beach for hundreds of miles. Moderate climate year round. Better restaurants and cultural activities than anywhere in the US except New York.

A better question is — why would you pick somewhere else?
Maybe to avoid paying 13% income tax, having to pay over a million dollars for a 1500 square foot house, homeless under every overpass and up and down major streets, public schools that rank 50th in the country. I can think of a lot of reasons even though I haven’t moved yet. But soon.

Nope. But it is a hassle and you would have to pay sales tax in your state when you register it. And few dealers are aware of how to do this so you’d have to walk them through it.

Aha! I know they were trying to work around it, but had recently heard it was still an issue. Apparently not so anymore. I guess whoever wants to get their hands dirty with extra tax docs could pull it off then.

I'm hoping my August comes back. I keep having this deep pit in my stomach thinking I just made a very bad decision changing to white interior. I can't stop obsessively refreshing now hoping for something more than blank. Haha. But I know I'll be happier with white interior.
I originally had MSM+cream then changed to white interior (the night I submitted order 2/24). Buddy of mine used to work for Tesla... said one of the most common regrets from customers sitting in floor displays while their vehicle was serviced was not getting white interior. So I immediately swapped it... but not back of line; you'll just be lumped in with mine!

Black interior ordered on 1/21, no delivery date since March. I don't know if it's better to have never had a delivery date, or to be on the roller-coaster.
Either way you are in the same boat. Even when mine said July last month for a day and June for three days recently I realized it was just a mirage until I get the “come pick up your vehicle” call, text or email.