Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be interesting to find out how many orders have been cancelled. Most of us on this thread have had Teslas prior and understand the capabilities of the car AND can go six months (or more) from order to delivery. But certainly a lot of orders were from first timers or just can’t wait until Tesla figures out what the hell they are doing. I’d say cancellations would move us all up the line but until production starts it really doesn’t matter.

I've actually seen this VIN periodically in my account when looking at source and searching for the 5YJ string. When I originally saw it and googled it, it was definitely an older X VIN . I don't see it in my account info now, but like the monkey and dates: It will be back.
So they’re just f***ing with us now. Why would they put a 2016 attached to my RN # hahaha especially if it’s an X like desert Dave said

I do feel bad for the first timers. They aren't getting a very good impression. I think once they drive the car they will love it (and won't go back to ICE), but making them wait 6 months or so is a huge risk.

As a first timer, I hate Tesla way of doing business. But with that said, with my mother today looking at a model Y. I know I will love it but if there were competition, not sure I would still be here.

Well they delivered cars on that day but it was a slow ramp. Sort of a completely different situation.
I don't know about that--it kinda feels the same--deliver a few cars at the factory to insiders, but it was another six months before they hit meaningful volume. I am not saying it will be that long again, but I would not expect the floodgates to open in June.

I do feel bad for the first timers. They aren't getting a very good impression. I think once they drive the car they will love it (and won't go back to ICE), but making them wait 6 months or so is a huge risk.
Your message is spot on. Until a person drives a Tesla they truly don’t know how much they’ll love the car. I would’ve cancelled months ago if it wasn’t for how much I enjoy driving my other Tesla’s and after testing other EV’s I couldn’t imagine choosing the other options over a Tesla.

I don't know about that--it kinda feels the same--deliver a few cars at the factory to insiders, but it was another six months before they hit meaningful volume. I am not saying it will be that long again, but I would not expect the floodgates to open in June.

I'd say the key difference is: For the model 3, they didn't know how to really manufacture it. For the Model S this time around, it seems more like getting the final design details/parts in.

@james912 - I remember the first time I drove a Tesla (Model 3, 2018 LR RWD) and the acceleration made me giggle uncontrollably. It's not just the pure speed, but it is how the power is delivered: quiet, linear, like a ride at theme park.

Then, I got a loaner P85D Model S and even though it was 5 years old or so, man, I pushed that accelerator down and it was like blacking out, but also extremely hilarious. I just remember thinking, holy ****, there's no way this should be legal.

Last edited:
Open the floodgates!
Open_Floodgates_-_Beaver_Lake_Dam_-_Northwest_Arkansas,_U.S._-_21_May_2011.jpg

Reactions: Drew-MS and T-Racer
Hope you guys are doing well. I haven’t checked this thread in a while since I canceled my Plaid order a few weeks ago. Figured I’d check to see if there’s any progress as I’m still intrigued by the Plaid/Plaid+. As a first time potential buyer, I just couldn’t go along with waiting and waiting with no end in sight. Tesla really needs to improve the way it handles business and customer care.

In the meantime, really enjoying my Taycan Turbo, which went from purchase in Vancouver to delivery in Calgary in 10 days.

Attachments

• 7E4C29AD-DDBA-4A8B-A2DB-67EF2B8EA312.jpeg
    7E4C29AD-DDBA-4A8B-A2DB-67EF2B8EA312.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 49
Reminder, if you want to *carefully* update your data on the tracking spreadsheet, perhaps we can divine some patterns. If you are uncomfortable make changes yourself, DM me and I'll make the updates (no worries)

Reactions: Drew-MS and T-Racer
Yeah I definitely don't make that much 😂
Too many variables into this of course. More than likely a bunch of retired old farts with lower incomes, but massive savings. Living (and working) in modest middle America with 2 kids, I can't see someone affording this car making less than 250K. Unless they have a heavy downpayment. Otherwise its probably not the best decision. $1500 car payment (at least mine) is a large chunk of most incomes.

First time Tesla buyer also. Test drove a 3, found it amazing and placed an order for a MS......Must be twice+ as good, right? 😁
Our “10-14 Weeks” delivery window won’t start until mid-June so not having a date yet makes sense for us.
Same here! Test drove Y and 3 at Thanksgiving. Ordered S on 1/2. Delivery expected Feb-Mar. Waited so that I could be eligible for possible tax credit that hasn’t yet been passed. Was betting that credit would be retroactive for all of 2021. First Tesla. Had no idea of past experiences and delivery delays. Gave ICE to son in Jan and sharing another ICE w 16 yo daughter since then. Thought of bailing but then remembered test drives. Getting tired of waiting tho! June 1-30 would be awesome.

Reactions: T-Racer
Same here! Test drove Y and 3 at Thanksgiving. Ordered S on 1/2. Delivery expected Feb-Mar. Waited so that I could be eligible for possible tax credit that hasn’t yet been passed. Was betting that credit would be retroactive for all of 2021. First Tesla. Had no idea of past experiences and delivery delays. Gave ICE to son in Jan and sharing another ICE w 16 yo daughter since then. Thought of bailing but then remembered test drives. Getting tired of waiting tho! June 1-30 would be awesome.
To all the first timers to Tesla, the wait is worth every penny. Like others said, you will never go back to ICE given a choice.