Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen the support page on Twitter. It looks like starting in May 2021 all 3 and y vehicles will be shipped without radar. The s and x will be shipped with radar. So we are paying over 100 k for a vehicle with outdated technology, have waited months and the y/3 are getting a fully updated Tesla Vision System. This just can’t get any better.
I just realized that the s and x will have to be retrofitted? This is pathetic.

Has anyone seen the support page on Twitter. It looks like starting in May 2021 all 3 and y vehicles will be shipped without radar. The s and x will be shipped with radar. So we are paying over 100 k for a vehicle with outdated technology, have waited months and the y/3 are getting a fully updated Tesla Vision System. This just can’t get any better.

S/X pages were updated to remove Radar from the Autopilot descriptions, so those will be shipping without radar as well.

Im WAY too new to Tesla to know what the hell I am seeing, so I wait for the information from people on the board to tell me if I should get excited or not. My delivery date updated back to June 1 to June 30 last night. One thing I do know is that there are not a ton of white sedans in there :)
Hope your delivery state days the same! Happy to come down and 'help' when you take delivery, mine is missing now :p. I've had a Model 3 for a few years, so feel free to DM any questions (is there a DM feature here??).

S/X pages were updated to remove Radar from the Autopilot descriptions, so those will be shipping without radar as well.
Not according to the support page posted on Twitter.
1621969418873.png

Smart! I did the same thing this morning. I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibility. Worth getting an order in just in case. I now have two identical cars on order. LR - August. Plaid - June
I did the same. I figure it is a cheap option at $100 for probability of big announcement. LR at blank still. Plaid at June. Feels good to line cut or at least to have the option to.

I just realized that the s and x will have to be retrofitted? This is pathetic.
Retrofitted with what? An over the air software update? Not sure where the anger comes from. I hope my Model S comes with the radar.

I don't know if the information you posted is accurate, but if so you are complaining about getting something (the radar)on the Model S that is being removed from the 3 / Y. How is that a problem?

Last edited:
Did you read it. Tesla has transitioned 3 and y to the latest Tesla Vision technology and eliminated radar. The model s and x are being shipped with radar “as the 3 and y are high volume and will provide more data”. So the 3 and y are equipped with the latest hardware package. The s and x will still have radar that Tesla has repeatedly said they are transitioning away from.

There is of course no mention that s and x have all the hardware for the transition to Tesla Vision. Just another omission that is a lie if they are listing x and s with no radar.

Did you read it. Tesla has transitioned 3 and y to the latest Tesla Vision technology and eliminated radar. The model s and x are being shipped with radar “as the 3 and y are high volume and will provide more data”. So the 3 and y are equipped with the latest hardware package. The s and x will still have radar that Tesla has repeatedly said they are transitioning away from.
All they're doing is turning off the radar in existing 3 and y and new ones won't have it. Our S won't lack anything. They'll turn on the software side when it's ready

To me it sounds like there's no hardware upgrade, just the elimination of radar. If true, then there's really no need to "retrofit" the S and X in the future, just a software update to disable radar and enhanced software for vision computation.

Don't need a screenshot of the support page, it's live on Tesla's site

Reactions: T-Racer

There is of course no mention that s and x have all the hardware for the transition to Tesla Vision. Just another omission that is a lie if they are listing x and s with no radar.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I thought the new Tesla Vision was entirely software based and can be pushed out via an over the air update at any time. If so, at some point in the future our Model S refresh would just stop using the radar.

Are you saying there is a new hardware package that is necessary for this Tesla Vision?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I thought the new Tesla Vision was entirely software based and can be pushed out via an over the air update at any time. If so, at some point in the future our Model S refresh would just stop using the radar.

Are you saying there is a new hardware package that is necessary for this Tesla Vision?
There is not, the poster is just confused by what words mean.

I would also have to say the 3 and y are being shipped with Tesla Vision software. Is the s and x. Sure doesn’t seem like it to me if the software we are getting relies on radar.
Reading the support page, it does sound like the new 3 and Y owners are going to be the guinea pig and taking what's learned there and push it out to the rest of the fleet including the new S and X. Of course, I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig myself if I get to try out new features, but my point is that I wouldn't get upset by this :)

Reading the support page, it does sound like the new 3 and Y owners are going to be the guinea pig and taking what's learned there and push it out to the rest of the fleet including the new S and X. Of course, I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig myself if I get to try out new features, but my point is that I wouldn't get upset by this :)

The 3/Y owners are testers to see if no radar kills everyone and S/X owners get the yoke to prove out. Fair enough. :p

All they're doing is turning off the radar in existing 3 and y and new ones won't have it. Our S won't lack anything. They'll turn on the software side when it's ready
Again, the omission. Did it go on to say but s and x will have latest software and those features for auto steer would be temporarily disabled. I didn’t see it.
I did see the order page updated to include buying t shirts and car cover right within the portal though. That was nice of them. Could do anything about the “-“ though.