Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the rumors of 4680 cells showing up in the Plaid model, what does that mean for the long range model? Would LR get the 4680s too? Or would the name change to "standard range" given that its not really the long range model?
Highly unlikely that either model gets 4680 cells... ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 670390me thinks the 4680 might've been the delay? ....... Everyone is getting 4680 batteries?!?!?

It's not crazy and a boy can dream can't he?
Now, as much as I would LIKE for it all to be true, the response is open ended. That is, the "Yeah" might be a response that the 4680s helps for extra power, but doesn't mean that they're actually in there.

Last edited:
So for the rumors of 4680 cells showing up in the Plaid model, what does that mean for the long range model? Would LR get the 4680s too? Or would the name change to "standard range" given that its not really the long range model?
4680s aren't going into the MS anytime soon. Those rumors should go away lol.

Thank all for the encouragement. Updated my profile & inputted order info in the google spreadsheet (Was it Oscar Wilde who said, “misery loves company”?). Will share when things change, return for more clever banter, listen to Dave Ramsey, & keep financial/personal info to myself.
The delivery hold up has to do with Tesla getting enough thumbs drives onto which it will be putting one bitcoin for each Plaid order recipient. Yeah, that's it, I think.
4680s aren't going into the MS anytime soon. Those rumors should go away lol.
agreed. not happening

Reactions: FlatSix911
I think it’s very unlikely that the Plaid will have the 4680s this year. It is possible, especially with the delays they’ve had, but very unlikely.

My guess is:
- The 4680s are delayed and will be in short supply through next year.
- The new S (both Plaid and LR) are achieving better range than the earlier estimates currently on the website
- They think the best use of their limited 4680 supply over the next 12-18 months (and maybe beyond) is for a different vehicle (CT? Extended range Y? Semi? Who knows)
- They figure they can always bring it back, or just make an update to the Plaid that has the new batteries and better range (and potentially higher price, but maybe not). I always assumed Plaid+ would eventually become the Plaid and come down in price after they ramped up 4680 production.

It would certainly be interesting to be wrong, but this seems like the most likely explanation.

I think it’s very unlikely that the Plaid will have the 4680s this year. It is possible, especially with the delays they’ve had, but very unlikely.

My guess is:
- The new S (both Plaid and LR) are achieving better range than the earlier estimates currently on the website
- They think the best use of their limited 4680 supply over the next 12-18 months (and maybe beyond) is for a different vehicle (CT? Extended range Y? Semi? Who knows)
- They figure they can always bring it back, or just make an update to the Plaid that has the new batteries and better range (and potentially higher price, but maybe not). I always assumed Plaid+ would eventually become the Plaid and come down in price after they ramped up 4680 production.

It would certainly be interesting to be wrong, but this seems like the most likely explanation.

The Apple approach. You don't want to make the car TOO upgraded and amazing, just enough where a lot of people will still upgrade, and you purposely hold back features you can plan on integrating the next year and next 2-3 years... Otherwise sales will drop off inbetween way too much.

The Apple approach. You don't want to make the car TOO upgraded and amazing, just enough where a lot of people will still upgrade, and you purposely hold back features you can plan on integrating the next year and next 2-3 years... Otherwise sales will drop off inbetween way too much.
I think once deliveries start happening - both Plaid and LR can see a price increase in 4-6 months.

My guess is:

Assuming the new architecture is achieving the 1/4 mile performance they stated and based on Elon's statement of range, they are not pressed to get the 4680 into the refresh. They will save for the next refresh, the CT, and other fun times at Tesla.

I expect for them to announce higher ranges than what is currently on the site - not by much but a bit better,

Reactions: rvpCO and sflgator