Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
think that photo was of the yoke/screen display. 420 was probably a joke since it wasn’t an actual car.
Ah, of course. Stupid joke that is always old, haha. But yeah, I saw it wasn't a real car.

Looking at the manual (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf), they have changed things up a bit in the "Instrument Panel." I don't see any evidence of an Energy Display anymore (from the limited information shown and discussed there, anyway).

However, it can probably still be derived from the charging information and the SoC% correspondence to miles.

Just swap between energy display and distance display mode after (before unplugging) or during a LONG charge (doesn't need to be a Supercharge, I don't think), making sure accessories are off during the charge, and it should tell you kWh added (Energy display) and distance added (Distance display). Long charge is needed for accuracy though. Obviously no useful information can be gathered from 6kWh added, 20 miles added. Add 200 miles.

And then divide the two (kWh added/ miles added) to get the constant. And then you can project to 100% range (or just charge to 100% if you wish) and multiply the charging constant by that rated miles at 100% to give you the battery capacity. If you're projecting, project from 80-90%, and switch to km.

May not work, as I said originally, since other things about how it behaves may have changed. But that's my best guess if you actually want to know this.

But the answer appears to be about 102kWh, lol.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.51.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.52.09 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BPeter and aerodyne
I'm still not sure. The one positive for the Plaid is that we can now buy it for $10k less than the current price. That helps a little bit with the initial depreciation hit which is always pretty significant on the Performance vehicles. On the other hand, it is still $40,000 more expensive than the LR and I was hoping for some additional differentiator that didn't materialize. I was very happy with my Ludicrous equipped P90D and it really never left me wanting for more. It seems like the LR will match that performance, so the Plaid is hard for me to justify to take less than 1 second off the 0-60.

The only time I would be able to take advantage of that acceleration is while driving solo, on remote roads in the middle of the night. 😳 If I did a full Plaid launch with my family or wife in the car, I don't think I would be married much longer. Ultimately, it really depends on how fast the production ramp is and when I can take delivery. Elon is talking about a really slow production ramp of only 100 cars per week. We might not see 1000 cars per week until late September. If that is true, I don't expect to see my LR order for several months. Makes me think of how long I waited for my first Model 3 and I certainly don't want to do that again.

So, I guess I'm still undecided and will just leave all of my orders in and see what happens. I'm not worried that both cars will show up at the same time because that seems highly unlikely. The $100 is nonrefundable, so I don't really see a benefit in cancelling the order.

It's unfortunate that our purchase agreements are non-transferable. I would love to be able to transfer one of my Plaid orders to Plaid + buyers that aren't being offered the $10k discount. This is inexplicable because those original Plaid + orders were all just Plaid orders on battery day.
Excellent points and I feel the same way. My estimated delivery dates are both showing June, as if that matters. I will likely take delivery on whichever one arrives first.

Aww man, Franz blowing off the 18650 question is driving me nuts, what batteries are in there?
Ooh good, conspiracy hat on!
He wouldn't say because the technology hasn't been approved for use yet.
The 25 cars are using prototype batteries. Once the specifications are finalized they will be recalled and given the permanent batteries.
They are going to have a battery reveal soon and so he didn't want to blow the secret.
The battery stickers are nowhere to be found, don't talk about the batteries.

Or they don't understand the fuss.

Ooh good, conspiracy hat on!
He wouldn't say because the technology hasn't been approved for use yet.
The 25 cars are using prototype batteries. Once the specifications are finalized they will be recalled and given the permanent batteries.
They are going to have a battery reveal soon and so he didn't want to blow the secret.
The battery stickers are nowhere to be found, don't talk about the batteries.

Or they don't understand the fuss.

@omarsultan and @Atomadam Do you guys have black helicopters or vans outside your house or following you around?

I don't believe you can use media in the back seat (Netflix, Hulu) for your passengers. Owners manual says it only works when car is in park. This is a real bummer, what is the point of rear screen entertainment that can only be used in Park. That needs to be updated.
My kids were watching you tube while we were driving

That Maroney shows 100 mi on 33kwh. With the stated 348 range that indicates a 115kwh battery.
That's incorrect. It does indicate it takes 116kWh from the wall to fully charge it, though. You are not accounting for charging losses.

Use this calculation:

0.885* 348mi/(101MPGe/33705Wh/Ge)

Which gives 103kWh.

The 0.885 is an educated guess from past results. It could be wrong, but it will be within a couple %. The other numbers are from the Monroney posted earlier, which hopefully I transcribed correctly. And 33705 is just the conversion from Wh to Gallon of gasoline-equivalent. Miles per gallon gasoline equivalent - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I put a similar question in the spreadsheet for Omar. I am curious if I can select something for my toddlers to watch via the front screen. This may be a suggestion worth submitting if not.
One of the videos showed that passengers in the back could watch something separately than what is on the main screen but didn't go into whether or not the people in front could control what is being shown on that back screen.

Does that give you any indication on battery size?
It absolutely does (legally it must), but you need to know the charging efficiency. Historically it has been between 88 and 89% for all Tesla vehicles. However, it can obviously change (it would only go up I would hope!) at any time. But it won't change by very much.

The Monroney MPGe and kWh/100mi are wall-to-wheels quantities.

Reactions: Atomadam