Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dividing 100 mi by 33kwh is 3.03 mi/KwH. Dividing 348 by 3.03 indicates 114.85kwh battery. Question is whether the 33kwh per 100 miles includes charging losses. If so then the battery would be smaller since 33kwh charged would result in a smaller usable charge and higher range per mile of usable charge.
It does, about 12%. Well discussed on the range gate threads. There was a lawsuit that made the EPA include this

Looking over that rangers shoulder, when he wasn't looking, I saw 290 wh/mi EPA consumption on the ToolBox:
IMG_20210206_143848741_HDR.jpg

Put it this way... The difference in acceleration between the two cars is roughly 0.5 g’s. So if you are a 200 lb driver, that‘s like having a 100 lb weight pressing against your chest pushing you into your seat. That’s 100 pounds MORE than the g’s already being imposed by the 3.1 second acceleration of the LR!
The question I have is that the Plaid acceleration numbers are all done in plaid and track modes which aren't something you drive around in (typically). So, that is great for the track obviously but I'd like to know the difference between the Plaid and LR if I pull up to the stop light and decide to drop it at the last second. From the videos it looked like in the time it took to set up plaid and track/cheetah, a corolla would be a quarter mile ahead of me off the line. Hopefully someone will test this out and I wonder how close those numbers will be.

Honestly, this feature is so silly in my opinion, it may actually be a deal breaker for me. I have reservations on a MS and MX. Please check back with us to let us know if this does in fact become comfortable. Since the yoke was announced, I have paid more attention to where my hands tend to go on my steering wheel, and they are very frequently at or near 12 o'clock. The last thing I want is sore shoulders from simple driving.

I'm sure an aftermarket supplier will come up with a clip on wheel extension.

Could make it transparent, or even wrap it in plaid.

Don't go hating on the car until you have to take it in for service, hopefully, never...

The question I have is that the Plaid acceleration numbers are all done in plaid and track modes which aren't something you drive around in (typically). So, that is great for the track obviously but I'd like to know the difference between the Plaid and LR if I pull up to the stop light and decide to drop it at the last second. From the videos it looked like in the time it took to set up plaid and track/cheetah, a corolla would be a quarter mile ahead of me off the line. Hopefully someone will test this out and I wonder how close those numbers will be.
For that matter, we still don't know what the LR will do naturally. Did they lie about the standing start 3.1 seconds? Does it require some kind of prep mode? Interested to start seeing the first LR's get delivered.

Reactions: gadelrosario

Be serious. The only way you will loose to a Corrolla is if you are asleep, or in reverse.

Come to think of it, with the gear guessing, the latter is possible.

Will be funny if people cancel their orders over the yoke only to find out it will most likely be an option.

All this hand wringing about the yoke, and then there are the weirdos that said they’d cancel if it DIDN’T have a yoke.

Btw, “most likely” is pretty presumptive with this car when it comes to a wild-ass guess. I think people should cool it with this “confident speculation”, lest we get another round of massively disappointed people over features Tesla never even said the car would have.

Your fantasy and imagination is not reality. The car comes with a yoke. Let’s not “most likely” anything until there’s something real to back it - and that means more than manipulating website CSS or a random article showing test mules.

For that matter, we still don't know what the LR will do naturally. Did they lie about the standing start 3.1 seconds? Does it require some kind of prep mode? Interested to start seeing the first LR's get delivered.
Tesla's non-performance models haven't ever come with any sort of 'go faster' mode (besides not defaulting to 'chill' lol) before so I'd assume the LR will not either. Right now it looks like the 3.1 is without rollout. That certainly isn't a guarantee but then why differentiate it on the website from the Plaid (which is with rollout).

Put it this way... The difference in acceleration between the two cars is roughly 0.5 g’s. So if you are a 200 lb driver, that‘s like having a 100 lb weight pressing against your chest pushing you into your seat. That’s 100 pounds MORE than the g’s already being imposed by the 3.1 second acceleration of the LR!

And here's some people's reactions after driving PLAID and comparing it to their Ludicrous S. Essentially biggest noticable difference is that it just keeps pulling harder on the top end. And that's compared to a Performance S, which is still a step above the new LR S. The test pilot driver stated in the video that it's pulling around 1.3 to 1.4 G's, effectively being pushed back harder than you are sitting down.

All this hand wringing about the yoke, and then there are the weirdos that said they’d cancel if it DIDN’T have a yoke.

Btw, “most likely” is pretty presumptive with this car when it comes to a wild-ass guess. I think people should cool it with this “confident speculation”, lest we get another round of massively disappointed people over features Tesla never even said the car would have.

Your fantasy and imagination is not reality. The car comes with a yoke. Let’s not “most likely” anything until there’s something real to back it - and that means more than manipulating website CSS or a random article showing test mules.
Most likely I’m right. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
And here's some people's reactions after driving PLAID and comparing it to their Ludicrous S. Essentially biggest noticable difference is that it just keeps pulling harder on the top end. And that's compared to a Performance S, which is still a step above the new LR S. The test pilot driver stated in the video that it's pulling around 1.3 to 1.4 G's, effectively being pushed back harder than you are sitting down.

My wife won't even ride Pirates of the Caribbean because the drop is too scary for her. I don't think she'd love this feature.

Tesla's non-performance models haven't ever come with any sort of 'go faster' mode (besides not defaulting to 'chill' lol) before so I'd assume the LR will not either. Right now it looks like the 3.1 is without rollout. That certainly isn't a guarantee but then why differentiate it on the website from the Plaid (which is with rollout).
This assumption is not supported by the facts we have seen on the LR. The website states that the car comes with Insane acceleration and the test mules had Insane listed as an option in addition to the Chill, Sport, and Drag Strip modes.

The LR and Plaid can both be driven in the most aggressive driving mode at all times which is Insane and Plaid respectively. You just wouldn't activate drag strip mode because that is the Max Battery Power option that takes time to warmup. Also, anyone that has a performance model with Ludicrous will know that the max battery power mode can not be used at all times because it makes the car sound like a helicopter with fans spinning so loudly that people ask you what is wrong with your car.

IMG_0635.jpg

Last edited:
This assumption is not supported by the facts we have seen on the LR. The website states that the car comes with Insane acceleration and the test mules had Insane listed as an option in addition to the Chill, Sport modes and Drag Strip mode.

View attachment 672353
If I find out 3.1 seconds is only obtainable by performing some prep ritual, that I will never do, I may have to reevaluate the purchase. Not that I would feel betrayed or bitter, I just want an honest assessment of what I can expect at a red light.

It does, about 12%. Well discussed on the range gate threads. There was a lawsuit that made the EPA include this

Looking over that rangers shoulder, when he wasn't looking, I saw 290 wh/mi EPA consumption on the ToolBox:View attachment 672351
I lied, I am back. That (290Wh/mi) is the constant that DOES NOT include the charging losses, though. Haha. The EPA rating for your 2015 85D car is 33.7kWh/100mi. (100MPGe)

That 290Wh/mi is presumably the internal charging constant used by the car, for displaying miles added/kWh added, etc.

I suspect it is around the same for this new Model S Plaid, which is pretty good given the tires it is equipped with compared to the 2015 85D.

Off topic, so my last post here until there is more info on the battery...

It's surprisingly difficult to find one quick definitive link (I might have missed it). But you can look around at various articles, and it's mentioned in numerous places. If in doubt, you can go to the EPA document lookup, which has ALL the information on the test done on the car (not available for this one - yet). And then calculate the numbers yourself. You'll find that if you calculate the numbers that they align with the MPGe numbers on the Monroney, as long as you include the charging losses.

For example, Model 3 SR has a range of 263 miles and took 62.2kWh to charge up: https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51461&flag=1

That's an MPGe of 263mi/(62.6kWh/33.705kWh/Ge) = 142MPGe

That is exactly what it is listed as:

Yes, the charging losses depend on amperage, etc. They typically seem to assume the maximum charge rate for the vehicle since that is where efficiency is best. Obviously they're totally different for Supercharging (though they are still there on the Supercharger side).

It makes sense to include them in the rating, because the losses are large, and otherwise there would be no incentive for manufacturers to keep them as low as possible.

Anyway, I'll sit on the sidelines now.
Thanks. I get it’s off topic, but then 95% has been too, and a lot of us are very curious as the the battery size...

One more data point from my 2015 P85D. It shows 36kwh/100mi, which is 2.777. Range 253, when divided by 2.777 is 91kwh. Battery size is a known 85kwh, so that gives a 6.6% estimate of charging losses. Using that figure, the earlier calc indicates a battery of 107kwh. I suppose the 85kwh size could have been a rounded number, the EPA standard could have changed in six years, but doubling seems unlikely. If anything you’d think charging tech would be increasing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• D31DA3E6-9A5F-49AE-BBF4-54F8D4A05CF1.jpeg
    D31DA3E6-9A5F-49AE-BBF4-54F8D4A05CF1.jpeg
    603.7 KB · Views: 40