Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fellow Florida resident,
I COMPLETELY agree with everything you just said. I just can't get that power curve out of my mind. talk about area under the curve! What curve...LOL! I peak power all the time (except lower speeds). I said this the other day I never thought this was possible to have that kind of instantaneous power. This is a gamechanger, and an engineering marvel. Not sure everyone fully realizes this yet. This car is going to devastate a lot of multi-million dollar cars.

Also, good observation on the power curve at the lower speeds.
Anyone know what the actual AWD TQ is for the Plaid? > 1,000 lb-ft AWD TQ?

Does anyone know if switching your Plaid order (Not new orders) to Wood Trim from Carbon Fiber will result in faster delivery? @omarsultan, when were you asked to switch, because originally wood was not even an option.
Mine was a new order--I had an LR and my store called and said I could get a Plaid in June. I think that is always a useful question to ask: if you change up config (color, trim), does that help things.

Picture is from Whole Mars Blog on Twitter...
Thanks. No information of course there. Some mention in a tweet that the range was so close to 420, of course.

Very confusing. I don’t understand all the range variants...we have Monroneys showing 348, tons of articles saying 390, and this data suggesting 418. I’m sure it is available on Reddit or somewhere but don’t want to track it down...

Would be great to see someone just post the projected range from the app or whatever, or just concurrent SoC % and rated miles (distance and energy display).

It doesn’t really matter of course since it likely doesn’t change the pack capacity at all.

Last edited:
I’m sure one could get acclimated to the yoke, but would you want to if you didn’t have to?
I like the idea of maintaining fidelity to the vision that Elon and Franz cooked up, so I guess I am committed. My fear was that the yoke is going to be an unworkable mess and that has not proved out. If Tesla offered to come swap it for a refund wheel tomorrow, I would decline. I am also an Apple dude, so I am used to having disruptive change thrust upon me. :)

Very strange that the engineers could not get the ANC to work prior to your car’s delivery. Active Noise Cancelling has been available in other cars for many years. This isn’t bleeding edge tech we are talking about here.
It happens all the time. In my day job, we have features that are built and ready to go and just miss the release cut-off, or it might be code-complete but still Neds to go through integration testing, etc.

On the subject of power.....
Looking at the HP curve from the delivery event (powercurve.jpg), all performance cars are following roughly the same curve slope after the P85 for the initial launch and first tens of MPH. The two primary distinctions between the P85, PxxDL and Plaid are the point at which the curves plateau and the plateau profile.

The P85 runs in the 450 hp range, the P100D in the 630 hp range and now the Plaid at 1050 hp.
The Plaid curve has a SLIGHTLY lower initial slope in comparison to the Performance and seems to be spot on the P100D.
The Plaid lays down a little bit on power as speed builds where the others simply fall off.

Watching all the videos and listening to Brooks, It occurs to me that-

The initial power delivery is likely traction limited from the P100D onward. The batteries with higher voltage can source more power at the same current levels so there is likely more power available than can be used at slower speeds. Basically, the slope of the post P85 curve is likely the sane limit of every day street car traction using very advanced traction control. There are small improvements in 0-60 but these likely will not register on the butt dyno. Brooks said as much when he said the big difference is that it keeps pulling. (addition here - the PLAID's power curve climbs in the 40 mph to 60 mph range while the others plateau. This alone will improve the 0-60 but on the tail end as opposed to the launch end. This is very useful.)

The ability of the Plaid battery to maintain that slope is the most interesting part for me. Tesla must have significantly reduced the pack's internal resistance (in combination with the higher voltage) to allow them to pull that level of power from the pack for an extended period of time. This improvement will show up as range as well as improved supercharging performance.

Coming from a P90DL, I expect the new car to launch a bit harder than my current car. This is not all that important as I have not done a running foot stab launch of my car in years. It was fun a few times in the beginning but gets old fast. In short, it will be a wash for me in my driving style.

What I see as incredibly useful is the inprovement in acceleration through 80 mph. This car will be unlike anything most of us will have driven on the street when it comes to pulling at higher speeds. It will be unlike anything any of us has driven on the street when it comes to the instantaneous availability of that power. No battery heating needed. Just leave it in PLAID and it will always be there for you. That, for me, is game changing.
This....so much this....

My Model 3 performance smokes almost anything off the line (save for a Performance model s)...but "suffers" from 60-100mph.

I had a charger hellcat...and that this was unreal from 60-120mph....just pulled hard at that range. I agree with you...the increase in power at that range/speed is awesome and frankly very useful on highway driving.

Has anyone considered because they had battery safety kinks that they are purposely limiting the battery via software right now until those are fully figured out? Thus, the battery is a bit larger than what they are letting people use today?

Maybe they are adding some optimizations to the cooling system or who knows. They are being really weird about it.

Has anyone considered because they had battery safety kinks that they are purposely limiting the battery via software right now until those are fully figured out? Thus, the battery is a bit larger than what they are letting people use today?

Maybe they are adding some optimizations to the cooling system or who knows. They are being really weird about it.
Could be done to keep more buffer and limiting the charge rate

I've ordered my LR on 1/21, bay area, paying cash. I had June for 4 days, back to blank.
Mine is gone too, SOB!

Reactions: HumanInput

Everything being discussed so far is available capacity from EPA; the energy until vehicle shuts off (there is no more available energy or buffer after that since the car turns off). Tesla can and has increased available capacity in the past - but very dependent on the situation. It is either there or it isn’t.

Frankly, nothing would surprise me with Tesla at this point. It is interesting Franz wouldn’t answer the question about the 4680 being used in the s/x..

@omarsultan - you said the sound system is "flat" are you just saying by default? But the sound is high quality right? Does it sound premium?

I'm not an audiophile so something like "this is the best stock sound system I've heard" works enough to describe it if you would plz. 😉

TL;DR Yes, it rocks -- it is probably the best system stock system I have listed to

Out of the box, it ddi not seem biased in any direction (i.e. bass-heavy) and there is +/- 8 dB on the equalizer, so lots of flexibility to tailor to whatever folks listen to.

Frankly, nothing would surprise me with Tesla at this point. It is interesting Franz wouldn’t answer the question about the 4680 being used in the s/x..

Yeah the whole thing is weird. What do they have to hide? "We used the 18650s that have updated chemistry to be more efficient" ok and we can move on, but that's not what's going on here.

That has occurred to me too--the secrecy is weird and if you are not going to talk about it at your big reveal event, when?

That has occurred to me too--the secrecy is weird and if you are not going to talk about it at your big reveal event, when?

I think the secrecy is good news. To get that power curve, they had to do something extremely clever and innovative. And likely competition sensitive information at the highest level.

I like the idea of maintaining fidelity to the vision that Elon and Franz cooked up, so I guess I am committed. My fear was that the yoke is going to be an unworkable mess and that has not proved out. If Tesla offered to come swap it for a refund wheel tomorrow, I would decline. I am also an Apple dude, so I am used to having disruptive change thrust upon me. :)

It happens all the time. In my day job, we have features that are built and ready to go and just miss the release cut-off, or it might be code-complete but still Neds to go through integration testing, etc.
What they should've done was to make the 1/2 steering wheel yoke thing a no-cost (or perhaps a $1,000 upgrade or whatever?) option with with the regular round (but stalkless) steering wheel standard. Many people like us would've just opted for the regular, round stalkless steering wheel at time of order. My SA, his mgr, and the RM have all said currently there is no option for a regular, round steering wheel so we're basically stuck trying to re-learn how to drive with a new steering wheel...stupid, imho but I am willing to try it.

If I absoluetly hate it and feel it's a bit dangerous and cumbersome to use, I will likely sell the Plaid toward the end of the year or next year to buy a Lucid Air GT, MB EQS AMG (?) - except at least in pictures, I cannot stand the exterior looks of the EQS, or other EV. We'll see...I'm sure I will love how the MS Plaid drives and how fast it is but there are other factors which can affect how satisfied and happy you are driving an everyday vehicle 40-200 mi. per day like I do.