Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more “not available at delivery but activated later via OTA” feature? Boy I sure hope features like this are just disabled and not absent (hardware-wise) in these early builds. It would suck so hard to wait so long to get a car only to see all these additions in newer cars literally a few months later…
When I took delivery of my MS in March 2017 there were MANY things that became software enabled over time - and some took a long time, including:

rain-sensitive wipers;
seat retract on exit;
most if not all of the enhanced autopilot features, and even the autopilot on roads only worked to 35 mph for a while;
self-park;
summon;

All kicked in between a few months to at least a year after purchase.

The seats have full ventilation with 3 different fan settings.
Check out Brooks video at 19:48

In the manual as well:

"Touch the driver's side seat icon to adjust seat heaters for the driver. The seat operates at three levels from 3 (highest) to 1 (lowest). To choose between heating or cooling, touch the associated Heat or Cool icon. The seat icon displays twisting lines that turn red (heating) or blue (cooling) to corresponding with the set level. Auto, which displays when the climate control system is set to Auto, warms or cools the front seats based on cabin temperature.

When I took delivery of my MS in March 2017 there were MANY things that became software enabled over time - and some took a long time, including:

rain-sensitive wipers;
seat retract on exit;
most if not all of the enhanced autopilot features, and even the autopilot on roads only worked to 35 mph for a while;
self-park;
summon;

All kicked in between a few months to at least a year after purchase.
Software enabled features like EAP, summon, self park etc, I agree are not a concern and I expect Tesla to continue providing these awesome upgrades for years to come.

My main issue is with stuff that necessarily require hardware to accomplish, like an actual heating element for heated windshield, or the thin strip based ambient lighting. I just hope these sort of things aren’t skipped in the early builds just to start appearing later this year.

This looks interesting ….

B5EE5C50-00AE-4300-88D6-532A429A01DC.jpeg

Yeah, it certainly looked like from the Tesla test drive videos from the Plaid Delivery Event, the driver just simply put it into Drag Strip Mode (already set to Plaid Mode) and waited maybe 5-10 sec for it to be ready and just hit the accelerator full throttle. I would imagine that just leaving it set as default to Plaid Mode for full power whether you use it or not is just fine (as long as it just stays in that mode without having to switch it every time...can't imagine tthey would make you switch it into Plaid mode every time).
At least one picture showed the display saying 5 minutes to full performance or something like that. So those launches weren't at full power.

I don't think anyone here expected a LR in June. I think they haven't even finished designing the car yet. I view the 25 "delivered" cars as prototypes for beta testing.
I can tell you I expected my car in June. I ordered last October. The only thing beyond Ludicrous, is getting a LR before you die of old age.

Dude…. I have a pre-refresh order with a 1136.. RN and I don’t have a date. Moral of the story is these dates don’t mean much.
RN 1142XXXX, S LR, MSM/Cream. 12/05 order date. 4th estimated delivery dates disappeared (June as of last Sunday, now nothing). Really want this car and have a ton of patience, but I am about done. Just looking for a little transparency and a ray of hope I see this thing before Elon makes it to Mars……..

Last edited:
Reactions: TNGuy99 and Drew-MS
One more “not available at delivery but activated later via OTA” feature? Boy I sure hope features like this are just disabled and not absent (hardware-wise) in these early builds. It would suck so hard to wait so long to get a car only to see all these additions in newer cars literally a few months later…
If the windshield is heated you should be able to clearly tell. My Land Rover has one and you can very clearly see the heating element lines if you look hard enough. If they are missing, a software unlock isn’t going to happen.

Dude…. I have a pre-refresh order with a 1136.. RN and I don’t have a date. Moral of the story is these dates don’t mean much.
👍
That would explain a 2.7 sec 0-60mph run logged by Brooks (although they had 3-4 men in the car).
Having 3-4 people makes a huge difference. I noticed it big time in my P100D. The car didn’t feel nearly as quick.

Last edited:
That's great but it'll be cool to know what's the 0-60 without putting the car in Plaid mode. Kinda frustrating because I don't know the 0-60 of my 2020 performance S in Ludicrous mode and frankly putting the car in Ludicrous+ is a pain and not practical at all of you are trying to show the launch to someone. Cheetah mode and Ludicrous+ is basically useless. I was hoping Plaid won't need 50 minutes to heat up the battery but it seems like that isn't the case. That's why I am interested in seeing if someone actually kept their S in Ludicrous+ mode all the time.

I've left mine in L+ accidentally for a few hours. I was driving around town and a few parking lots. I realized my mistake when I looked down and the average wh/mi was something like 580 while I was driving 10mph at the mall.