Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After being jerked around for six months and deciding I may not be able to live with a yoke, I decided to take a little trip down to Porsche to test drive the Tacyan 4s. Sadly, my friends, I can verify that nothing comes even close to the MS. Even my original 2012 MS was breathtaking to accelerate, corner and handle. The Porsche, a supposed sports car, felt downright sluggish compared to the MS. Heck, my just-sold MX felt quicker and more agile.

At first, I thought it was because I wasn't in Sport or Sport+ mode. So, I kicked those on and noticed the car making a faux engine noise (silly), and, at one point, I saw a message telling me that HVAC was being shut off to preserve performance. Yes, you read that right. And, it's 93 degrees where I am. This was their 130k trim level. To get closer to the MS, you go way up in $ from there.

Ummmm, no thanks.

It's like the Tesla Gods are taunting me: "I told you you would never love anyone like you loved me. Don't try that again...."

Yeah. I hate Tesla as a company, but I think their cars are by far the best, so that's why I'm sticking this out. I don't want to drive a substantially worse car just because I think Elon Musk is a fraud.

It does lower overall cost in purchasing, logistics, and manufacturing complexity. That be what they were going to when axing the red.
RIP red calipers
For anyone who is currently a Tesla owner, assuming you bought it new from Tesla, did you have the same debacle experience last time with the delays, uncertainty, no delivery dates, SA issues, etc? Or is this an isolated incident due to maybe rona? Chip shortage? *insert another reason here*
No, everything went smoothly and delivery would have been on the date on the original date of delivery, but I was out of the state on a job. I was kept informed of all necessary information.

Sure okay, BUT what about all those buttons & functions on the new yoke steering wheel? If you swap out the steering wheel (not a Tesla steering wheel that can somehow match up all the buttons & functions), wouldn't that basically not allow you to do anything (or less functions, like the L & R blinkers for example) from a different steering wheel? I would say that Tesla has to be the one to give new owners the option of a different, round Tesla steering wheel with ALL the functions as seen on the yoke steering wheel, correct?
That’s why I was seriously thinking that adding a filler piece on top of the yoke would be an easy way out. Glued, screwed, welded or even taped. Could be made out of lexan, epoxy, acrylic or wood.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVonly
Yea I figured a .1 or so. And more of a dramatic impact in the 1/4. Without the roll-out I think our expectation should be 2.2s 0-60. I am more interested in the quarter mile number frankly, but I like when we can see the cars meeting their advertised spec.
I’ve mentioned here in the past. My early P100D was my all time fav car. I’ve owned about 25 cars (mid 40s) and I’d say 15 of them were considered very fast:
a Hennessy Venom 650R Viper, Acura NSX, several Porsche Turbos, several AMGs (CL65, CLS 63, ML63, E63,) 2 BMW M5s, an Audi S8, Callaway Vette sc with 735whp. Most had ECU tunes (or more.)
All of these cars would have gotten absolutely roasted by my P100D from any speed until about 80mph. After 80 is when the P100D would lose its advantage.
The plaid is on another level and I’m happy with all the videos I’ve seen so far. Super impressive 😍. Really curious how much TQ the plaid has.

TSportline has a pretty extensive steering wheel offering for the Model S. The steering wheels are quite expensive, but they give you a $650 core credit when you return your factory wheel. I’m sure they will offer something for the refresh in the next few months.

Model S Steering Wheels
Very good to know... but the refresh steering wheel has so much going on (blinkers etc) so it may be a pain in the ass to change out the wheel. I’d like an attachment of some sort idk.
Edit: I’ll be very impressed if they come out with a wheel for the refresh. The prior model s was relatively simple in comparison.

I've got a lower RN number as well and ordered 4 days after you. But who among us who are pre-refresh purchasers haven't been told "you have priority once the cars are ready to be delivered"? Given that subsequent RNs have dates and I don't, I take no stock in promised timelines. The many people who've said that it gets real when a VIN is issued have a point.
I have been told same things I don’t believe any of it. They will deliver whatever will get paid for in full before end of quarter. Fair and customer service is bug on the windshield for Tesla. The windshield is making shareholders happy.

Yeah. I hate Tesla as a company, but I think their cars are by far the best, so that's why I'm sticking this out. I don't want to drive a substantially worse car just because I think Elon Musk is a fraud.
Pretty extreme. A fraud ? Because Tesla’s customer service sux ass ? Because our cars are late ?

That sounds like an elegant solution on a $100,000 luxury automobile!
Yes, but it’s Tesla doing. Elon said it was due to visibility or maybe his dreaming of full self driving. Yoke is not the way to go. I am watching Grand Prix of Detroit, they have steering wheel that comes close to Tesla yoke but there is a horizontal piece to grab to if need be. They turn three quaters at most. Never cross their hands. yoke , as designed, is asking for trouble. I can see someone going strait in a turn, while trying to grab piece of the wheel that is not there.
Also, Plaid is more like $150k, few hundred less (save yoke) and it would be been perfect. I am really hoping wheel will be an option.

Last edited:
Bad news LR folks.

My delivery date just got pushed to “July” this morning after staying at “June” for a while.

I think I’m probably one of the first in line for the LR.

[Pre refresh order, RN1143, Picking up from Fremont]
I just checked again and it is still showing, ”Estimated delivery: June”. But i’m not keeping my hopes up.

Yes, but it’s Tesla doing. Elon said it was due to visibility or maybe his dreaming of full self driving. Yoke is not the way to go. I am watching Grand Prix of Detroit, they have steering wheel that comes closets to yoke but there is a horizontal piece to grab to if need be. Yoke, as designed, is asking for trouble. I can see someone going strait in a turn, while trying to grab piece of the wheel that is not there.
Also, Plaid is more like $150k.
Those drivers are also superhumans with much quicker ratio racks than road cars have, they don’t go 2.5 turns lock to lock. It’s solving a problem that doesn’t exist in a road car for a reason I can’t quite figure out yet… free marketing?

That’s why I was seriously thinking that adding a filler piece on top of the yoke would be an easy way out. Glued, screwed, welded or even taped. Could be made out of lexan, epoxy, acrylic or wood.
Sorry, that's not for me...to cheapen the car and make it look like it's a tacky add-on mickey-mouse solution. Tesla needs to make it right and give its customers the option to change the steering wheel for a round one (at no charge I might add). Just saying.

My June delivery date went to July as well - pre - refresh order Massachusetts delivery, but your right July is almost here
12/11 order (RN 1142)… estimated delivery changed from June to July after the Plaid delivery event. Still at July.

I agree that July is just around the corner… but end of July is at least 6000 - 8000 additional posts on this forum… 😵‍💫