Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May not be a problem with the proper training and skills.

Imagine doing that while pouring a glass of tea with your other hand.

I'm not afraid of yokes. Used them before.

What an incredible pilot! Thanks for the link.

Much angst over the yoke around here. I've spent far too much time over the last 15 years playing rally racing games. My hands are pretty much glued to the 3 & 9 positions except for shifting and handbrake application. I operate the steering wheel the same in real life. In order to make this work, your driving position must be set up properly. Here are my tips for that:
  • Get your seat bottom set to correct height, tilt and fore/aft so legs are comfortable and can operate the pedals easily.
  • Then adjust seat back and steering wheel; yes they should be comfortable but you should be able to cross your arms and hold the wheel on the opposite sides (i.e. 180 degree turn in steering wheel or right hand at 9 and left hand at 3) and still be able keep your shoulders on the seat back. Getting this distance to the steering wheel correct is the key. Now you should have 360 degrees (+/- 180 degrees from straight) of comfortable rotation of the steering wheel without ever letting go of the wheel.
When more than 180 degrees is needed (i.e. parking lot maneuver), simply let go with the bottom arm (the upward moving hand) when you reach 180 degrees and use the heel of the other hand ( the downward moving one) to spin the wheel as much as needed.

There are two exceptions to 3 & 9 for me: resting one hand on the wheel when AP is engaged (and the yoke actually looks more comfortable for that), and when reversing a trailer where I use only one hand on the wheel in the 6 o'clock position.

Here's a video of racing in Dirt Rally 2.0, watch the hands, they're almost always at 3 & 9 or operating the shifter/handbrake. Rarely, one touches the bottom half of the wheel, never the top. Watch any number of good rally sim racers, you'll find the same.
(No, that's not me, I race in VR and I've never recorded any of my races, but if you race in DR2 my user name at Codemasters and on Steam are the same as here.)

What an incredible pilot! Thanks for the link.

Much angst over the yoke around here. I've spent far too much time over the last 15 years playing rally racing games. My hands are pretty much glued to the 3 & 9 positions except for shifting and handbrake application. I operate the steering wheel the same in real life. In order to make this work, your driving position must be set up properly. Here are my tips for that:
  • Get your seat bottom set to correct height, tilt and fore/aft so legs are comfortable and can operate the pedals easily.
  • Then adjust seat back and steering wheel; yes they should be comfortable but you should be able to cross your arms and hold the wheel on the opposite sides (i.e. 180 degree turn in steering wheel or right hand at 9 and left hand at 3) and still be able keep your shoulders on the seat back. Getting this distance to the steering wheel correct is the key. Now you should have 360 degrees (+/- 180 degrees from straight) of comfortable rotation of the steering wheel without ever letting go of the wheel.
When more than 180 degrees is needed (i.e. parking lot maneuver), simply let go with the bottom arm (the upward moving hand) when you reach 180 degrees and use the heel of the other hand ( the downward moving one) to spin the wheel as much as needed.

There are two exceptions to 3 & 9 for me: resting one hand on the wheel when AP is engaged (and the yoke actually looks more comfortable for that), and when reversing a trailer where I use only one hand on the wheel in the 6 o'clock position.

Here's a video of racing in Dirt Rally 2.0, watch the hands, they're almost always at 3 & 9 or operating the shifter/handbrake. Rarely, one touches the bottom half of the wheel, never the top. Watch any number of good rally sim racers, you'll find the same.
(No, that's not me, I race in VR and I've never recorded any of my races, but if you race in DR2 my user name at Codemasters and on Steam are the same as here.)
Yap, went to two driving school and you get screamed at if you are not doing 3 & 9 hand position.

The only way to take advantage of the faster charging capability is to utilize a V3 Supercharger that is capable of changing at 250 kW. These are quickly being added to the network, but they are still few and far between. Most V2 Superchargers are only 120 kW and some have been upgraded to 150 kW, but these chargers generally share the power between an a and b charger so if a car is plugged in next to you then your charge rate is cut in half.

The only V3 Supercharger I have ever been to is in Hawthorne, CA next to SpaceX and the Tesla design studio. The charging speeds were incredible. In 15 minutes, I went from a pretty low state of charge to 80%. Barely had enough time to get my Starbucks.
@EVonly Dont you live in San Diego?

That’s why I was seriously thinking that adding a filler piece on top of the yoke would be an easy way out. Glued, screwed, welded or even taped. Could be made out of lexan, epoxy, acrylic or wood.
Clip on the yoke on both hand areas and then just a front/back on the center for stability since there is no horn function there. Easy but will take sometime to style.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Clip on the yoke on both hand areas and then just a front/back on the center for stability since there is no horn function there. Easy but will take sometime to style.

I am always quick to rush to provide a mechanical solution to such problems...

But, proper training and technique need to be looked at first, not a bandaid.

Shame on Tesla after thousands of hours of mule testing, not to provide guidance.

Despite that, confident the early adopters will show the way.

In your opinion, Better than Teslafi? Does it have pack capacity like SMT?
I like because it seems a more modern implementation and the app is nice, plus one sub covers as many vehicles as you have. Here is there pack health report (wife's X):
Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 9.59.36 PM.jpg

Hey @omarsultan, when something is playing exclusively in the rear screen (Netflix, YT), the audio still uses the entire speaker system or is there dedicated sound for just the rear passengers? It sounds obvious that it would be the former but just looking for confirmation.
Dunno--will check tomorrow

@EVonly Dont you live in San Diego?

That’s good to know, but I only Supercharge when I drive out of town. I don’t really have a need to Supercharge locally. I will definitely give that Supercharger a try when I get the MS just to test the speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: HumanInput
Funny you should ask--this is how I spent part of my afternoon. :)

I think it handled really well on the road for a performance sedan--the low CoG, good chassis dynamics, active suspension and large contact patch all contribute to a fun driving experience on winding back roads. You are not going to overcome physics and be able to throw it into a corner like a 911 and dynamics likely suffer from using an air suspension, but I think for most folks, its a well handling car.

View attachment 672833
The actual numbers say the plaid does overcome physics and can be thrown into a corner faster than a 911.
I’ve watched many Laguna seca hot lap videos. The plaid went around turn 1 at 47mph, which was a few mph faster than all the 911 Turbo S tested (including a 2021,) a 2020 911 GT3 RS, Ferrari F8 Tributo, and Lamborghini Huracan Evol

With deliveries becoming real, I wonder how long it’ll be before we see @Tsportline or another company create the Plaid Mode logo decal as an aftermarket option 🤩 We know all Plaid orders are ready for maximum peacock 🦚
And 20” wheels in the new size: 9.5”- Front and 10.5”- Rear.

Last edited:

Elon joked about almost having 420 miles of range: “In the Dual Motor configuration, it got a 412-mile range… 420 give or take.”
412 miles of range was indeed what Tesla was advertising since starting to take orders for the new Model S in January. However, last night, just a day after Musk’s presentation, Tesla has updated the Model S online configurator to change the Model S Long Range’s advertised range to 405 miles:

1623567248706.png