Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah. I bet it demonstrates 3.1 quite easily. We are in traction limited territory with the plaid. Tesla has made plenty of cars that can do upper 2s at this point.
Plaid needs all the tricks it can come up with to nail a 1.99
I don’t think it’s a traction limit as much as it is a battery limit. If Plaid had better battery tech the carbon sleeved tri motors would gain 100+ more HP as advertised with the Plaid+. Also, in the dragtimes video one of the Tesla engineers said each motor produces 400 HP, but the battery is the limiting factor in not being able to achieve 1200 HP.

Reactions: HumanInput
I don’t think it’s a traction limit as much as it is a battery limit. If Plaid had better battery tech the carbon sleeved tri motors would gain 100+ more HP as advertised with the Plaid+. Also, in the dragtimes video one of the Tesla engineers said each motor produces 400 HP, but the battery is the limiting factor in not being able to achieve 1200 HP.
Not sure about this case but they are definitely hitting up against some traction limits. Basically you can't accelerate 0-60 any faster than you can brake from 60-0 and their times are almost the same.

Great explanation here:

A few updates on my order(s). First, I am only the messenger here. Second, we all know the SA’s are struggling to find info just like we are. Last, I think I can honestly say most of us are all on pins and needles waiting for a vin assignments and delivery dates. We spend way too much time on this site but I also appreciate everyone’s posts. Therapy will begin when we receive our vehicles.

I have two orders – here are the details:

Model S Plaid, white, black interior w/CF, 21 inch rims, and FSD. I originally ordered the plaid on battery day. I was told to cancel and order the new plaid when it was announced in Jan. My new plaid order took place for this vehicle on Jan 27th. The estimated delivery date has moved around a ton of times like everyone else’s. It now says June, again.

After watching some of the drone footage of the Model S sitting around in various areas, I noticed a lot of sliver S’s on the lot. On May 31st, I ordered another plaid but this time MSM with the dark wood trim, black interior, FSD, and 21 inch rims. This order has stayed as June for an estimated delivery date.

After the 11th time speaking with an SA, I was told that there is no way I will receive my white plaid until at least August, if not September, due to the shortage of CF and he also believes white paint is also hard to obtain.

He also said that there is a high probability that I will receive my Plaid MSM in the next two weeks. Basically, he told me to keep checking the order page for a VIN (which I do just a few times a day). I live in the pacific NW.

The wall connector charges at 34 miles per hour and the NEMA outlet with mobile connector charges at 23 miles per hour.

These values are always a little squishy, as they depend on the trim and the underlying constants.

I'm curious what @omarsultan's setup would display as the miles per hour rate, if he has a 48A setup at home, once it ramps up to 48A (with the climate control turned off; very important). I'm actually not sure which constant they use to display these values (and not sure whether that resulting rate number is actually accurate (does it reflect the ACTUAL miles added per hour) due to aforementioned weirdness with the constant - though pretty sure the time until charge complete prediction is, once the rate settles down).

BTW, can anyone familiar with SMT captures tell me what the prior "Full Pack When New" value was for a 2020 Model S (Long Range or whatever) or 2021 Model S Performance? Something like 103kWh-105kWh, or what? I guess that's about what it looks like from EPA results (103-104kWh) so maybe I'm answering my own question.

Last edited:
Not sure about this case but they are definitely hitting up against some traction limits. Basically you can't accelerate 0-60 any faster than you can brake from 60-0 and their times are almost the same.

Great explanation here:

The Rimac Nevera can achieve 0-60 in 1.85 seconds, but will cost you a little more 😜. I’m just saying I don’t think traction is an issue yet.

Well you ordered in June and lots of others have ordered way further ahead of you. Most of us can't get even an estimate.
Yeah, I agree. It still feels poopy when the site tells you June or August, then your account confirms that after placing the order, committing on a six figure car, and then the SA reaches out to you a week later to introduce herself and give an estimated date of October. You can’t walk into any other dealership without someone at your side within 5 minutes trying to sell you every single car they have on the lot 😄

This is an interesting question. The plaid lists as a feature the carbon sleeve rotors but is silent on the motors for the LR. I don't think the LR would see a unused motor sitting there but was a little surprised to see the dual rear motors sharing a housing. What will the motors in the LR be?

The website shows both skateboards. The LR version clearly shows a different setup - and it's much lighter. There isn't a third motor.

You can just palm the right side of the yoke and it also honks. TBH not sure why the wasted a button of it on the touch portion instead of just making the center of the yoke a horn.
I assume by "right side" you mean the side which is on the right when traveling straight. The problem is, that at the time you need to honk, that side might be anywhere, left, up, down, or anywhere in between. Plenty of times when backing up I've hit the right thumb wheel trying to mute my radio, simply because it was on the left at the time.

Reactions: Elixir and Droschke
So this is all under software control, e.g. the equivalent of fly by wire where there is no direct mechanical control. You are just providing inputs into the computer controlling the wheel position. There is every reason to believe that a software update down the road enables the yoke to work however you want. Including variable ratio so no turning past 90 degrees is ever required.

RT
Who told you the Model S is fly-by-wire? Everything we know so far says it is not.

A few updates on my order(s). First, I am only the messenger here. Second, we all know the SA’s are struggling to find info just like we are. Last, I think I can honestly say most of us are all on pins and needles waiting for a vin assignments and delivery dates. We spend way too much time on this site but I also appreciate everyone’s posts. Therapy will begin when we receive our vehicles.

I have two orders – here are the details:

Model S Plaid, white, black interior w/CF, 21 inch rims, and FSD. I originally ordered the plaid on battery day. I was told to cancel and order the new plaid when it was announced in Jan. My new plaid order took place for this vehicle on Jan 27th. The estimated delivery date has moved around a ton of times like everyone else’s. It now says June, again.

After watching some of the drone footage of the Model S sitting around in various areas, I noticed a lot of sliver S’s on the lot. On May 31st, I ordered another plaid but this time MSM with the dark wood trim, black interior, FSD, and 21 inch rims. This order has stayed as June for an estimated delivery date.

After the 11th time speaking with an SA, I was told that there is no way I will receive my white plaid until at least August, if not September, due to the shortage of CF and he also believes white paint is also hard to obtain.

He also said that there is a high probability that I will receive my Plaid MSM in the next two weeks. Basically, he told me to keep checking the order page for a VIN (which I do just a few times a day). I live in the pacific NW.
Right there with you on the Plaid MSM, and a little north in the Seattle area. Here's hoping!

-HF

Just got off the phone with him, changing the order will result in $10,000 price increase.

This kind of stupid *sugar* doesn't make any sense. Tesla wants to sell any many Plaid this QTR as they can. Why would they penalize someone who wants to be able to get the car this QTR? Idiotic. I'd call a national number. Your SA might be full of *sugar* (probably is).

Right there with you on the Plaid MSM, and a little north in the Seattle area. Here's hoping!

-HF
So good to see some PNW representation on here! :D

My own Blue Plaid *white interior* is solidly listed as June. It was blank for a long time but switched to June the day after the event and has stayed there so far. Fingers crossed all our dates stick!

This kind of stupid *sugar* doesn't make any sense. Tesla wants to sell any many Plaid this QTR as they can. Why would they penalize someone who wants to be able to get the car this QTR? Idiotic. I'd call a national number. Your SA might be full of *sugar* (probably is).
What happens if I order another car, except this one with Wood Trim. Can I take whichever comes first, and just cancel the other? Besides the $100, is there any other financial risk to me?

I ordered my Plaid the morning of June 10, showing August since that day, no changes. Maybe Canadians get more love since they're gouging us on the exchange rate? At the current rate of approximately 1.21 the Plaid should cost 157 but it actually costs 170. That's even more profit to Tesla than FSD.

There are no incentives for us ( at least in Ontario), and taxes are 13%.

• Informative
Reactions: HumanInput