Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@omarsultan Greatly appreciate your sharing so much info on your car - your car looks really nice!
Not sure if it's been discussed already, but how much does road/outside noise leak inside the car while on the highway? I test drove a MX last year, and it seemed that outside noise was louder than other cars.

I know they advertised new refresh to have noise cancellation to address this issue. I was wondering how much is it actually resolved.

PS Go Eagles!
Go Eagles!!

Thanks for the window sticker image. That answers a bunch of questions I had. I have a few more for you when you get to post again:

1) Did your car come with the 110V home charging cable and the adapter to use with non-Tesla charging stations plugs? These 2 accessories have saved me quite a few times on long distance trips.
2) Have you tried connecting your car to the mobile hotspot on your phone? If so, does it reconnect automatically when you start the car in drive next time after exiting? I have to manually reconnect to my mobile hotspot every time I put the car in D in my 2019 Model S.
3) Wondering if they made any changes to the dimensions of the glass roof. I had purchased a 3rd party mesh net to reduce the heat from the sun for my Model S, and want to reuse it in my new car if possible.
4) How noisy is the pedestrian warning system? My car did not come with it, so am wondering if you can hear it from inside the vehicle.
5) Have you tried plugging in a USB drive with music files to one of the USB ports and playing them? Any thoughts on how you like the music interface on the new screen?
6) The user manual says that the new car comes with a USB drive in the glovebox for the dashcam? Can you confirm if you got it in your car?

Again, thanks for your replies and congratulations on your Plaid. It looks fantastic!

No, they didn’t. @lowtek is incorrect. The MCU has not been changed since 2019, SXM was standard equipment on all Model S. Up until now, in fact, the FM radio and XM have been on the same physical component, so either you had both or none. Of course there’s a chance that this has been changed for the refresh, but it’s in fact physically impossible with MCU2 to have FM but NOT have SXM. I think he’s confusing the revised MCU2 upgrade for people who paid the $2500 upgrade but didn’t get the radio module - Tesla eventually let you buy the radio board and have that installed separately for $500, but that was not for factory-delivered MCU2 Model S’s.

Not sure what this sentence means, but curious. Could you elaborate?

OK, brain trust, between screen refreshes, take a look at these two pics and tell me what you you think this is for. There is panel below the diffuser on the vehicle centerline. Removing it shows....nothing. Possible plans for a hitch receiver?

View attachment 673267

View attachment 673268
Nice! I was going to ask you to open this panel.

I do believe there will be a tow package option for the Model S. The online configurator has some code for one but does not currently have a price assigned to it, or a tow rating assigned (says X,XXX lbs from what I recall).

At the very least, having a pre-cut panel there is nice for aftermarket hitch solutions.

There is also still some assets for a round wheel option. A few months ago someone figured out that changing the ST0Y option code to ST03 produced an image with a round wheel, but that was later removed. What is still in the configurator assets though are small images of a yoke and round wheel that would fit in a circle button like the kind used for paint, wheels, and interior.

This was a 2017 with the sunroof, I believe, maybe that’s the difference. But it is a glass roof. There absolutely is an antenna, you can’t have SiriusXM without it. It’s a patch antenna, nothing that extends, but it needs a direct sky view to operate, which needs to be installed in the roof, so that‘s why the pano may prevent it. The actual FM/XM hardware is the same part, however, or was up until he refresh.

SXM was unavailable on the glass roof option when that first came out, was only available on the panoramic sunroof originally. Later on they re-located the antenna to make it standard on the glass roof option.

SXM wasn't something you could ever select (well maybe back in 2012). But its availability depended on what roof option you chose and what time the car was manufactured.

Answer: it varies, but most of them have significant track time. One of the guys posts regularly about running his Senna and P1 there. I mean, CJ Wilson was there and he's raced and run a freaking Porsche 919 LeMans Car. Bruce Canepa was there, Jonny Liberman, etc. There were some people who know there business. Most, though, are just driving "fast".

But none of them are Randy Pobst. In a track modified Model S Plaid to boot..

I have a friend who has brought his Model S, Model 3 and now Taycan there, in addition to 911 GT3 (two) and GT3 Cup to several NorCal tracks including Laguna. His P100D (pre Raven) was absolutely terrible on the track. Wouldn't last a lap. The Model 3 was better from power, but absolutely toasted the brakes. Even upgraded brakes weren't great. And after about 5 laps, it cut power. His Taycan does not cut power until there's under 30% battery remaining. PCCB's means no brake fade, even at 5,000 lbs. But it's a MONSTER on the straights. He's arriving over 10 MPH faster than the GT3. But the GT3 smokes it through the corners. He has data, we have discussed extensively.

I would expect the Plaid to be a monster on track, when set up by someone who knows how. We're certainly entering a new dimension of the performance car. Rimac has just obliterated all the ICE records and most pundits are stating that that's the last time that ICE cars hold the records it took.

But on track, there's no substitute for lightness. And people will tell you, it's often times more fun to drive a slower, better handling car, at the limit than an high HP monster. AMG's were always known for all go, no turning. In a way that's what the plaid and other EV's remind me of now. Need to get the weight out. But it's coming.

Thanks for the insightful comments. I found this video more interesting than the in-cockpit view posted earlier today - not only does the Plaid overtake the P1 pretty easily, but it also seems to take the final corner with a better line (than the P1). I'm not sure we can rule out its handling ability as inferior just yet.

SXM was unavailable on the glass roof option when that first came out, was only available on the panoramic sunroof originally. Later on they re-located the antenna to make it standard on the glass roof option.

SXM wasn't something you could ever select (well maybe back in 2012). But its availability depended on what roof option you chose and what time the car was manufactured.
This article gets into the details of it. I wasnt aware it was added back as standard equipment.

Thanks for the insightful comments. I found this video more interesting than the in-cockpit view posted earlier today - not only does the Plaid overtake the P1 pretty easily, but it also seems to take the final corner with a better line (than the P1). I'm not sure we can rule out its handling ability as inferior just yet.

Not going to get the 348 mile rated range driving like that. Well, maybe the tires will last 348 miles. Maybe. 😂

This stuff about the "glass" roof not having the XM antenna is **incorrect**. In late 2018, the sunroof was discontinued and the pano roof was the only option available from then on. Shortly after the Raven refresh, ALL model S and X included SXM capability. The "glass roof no / sunroof yes" "rule" USED to be correct; until late 2018/early 2019 with the Raven introduction.

People in here are quoting things that "used to be true", perhaps when they bought their car, but it has since changed. Post Raven, all S/X included SXM capability.

Post MCU-2 there was NEVER an "add on board". You're probably thinking of MCU 2 retrofits into pre-2018 MCU 1 cars which require a $500 antenna adaptor to bring back FM and SXM capability on those models. SXM on a factory MCU2 S/X never, ever required an add on board.

There was a period of time in which having a pano roof affected whether or not you had the SXM antenna. But this was NOT the case post-Raven (late 2018 early 2019). You're working with old info. As @BPeter said above, it was later relocated to be present on the glass roof as well. This is correct.

Source: Me, Dec 2018 delivery, XM was a go/no go for me. Switched between having glass vs pano sunroof; both of my VINs at the time had sxm.

Anything post MCU2 did not have any sort of add on module whatsoever, and if you're referring to MCU2 retrofits, that's a wiring harness, not a module. The SC or MT will set the "has_sirius_xm" option flag in MCU2 using the service or "tool" utility (via the ethernet port below the mcu) after getting the retrofit's "radio restore" hookup ($500), but there's no module at all and never has been for factory MCU2 units.

Last edited:
This article gets into the details of it. I wasnt aware it was added back as standard equipment.

This is regarding the infotainment (MCU) upgrade for older Model S/X vehicles.

By default that upgrade does not include the new radio tuner that is required for MCU2 to receive radio. The $500 gets you the new tuner hardware that will let your new MCU2 receive FM and XM. XM is also only available with this if your car has the XM antenna, so those original glass roof cars wouldn't get XM when installing this radio.

This stuff about the "glass" (pano) roof not having the XM antenna is **incorrect**. In late 2018, the sunroof was discontinued and the pano roof was the only option available from then on. Shortly after the Raven refresh, ALL model S and X included SXM capability. The "pano roof no / sunroof yes" "rule" USED to be correct; until late 2018/early 2019 with the Raven introduction.

People in here are quoting things that "used to be true", perhaps when they bought their car, but it has since changed. Post Raven, all S/X included SXM capability.

Post MCU-2 there was NEVER an "add on board". You're probably thinking of MCU 2 retrofits into pre-2018 MCU 1 cars which require a $500 antenna adaptor to bring back FM and SXM capability on those models. SXM on a factory MCU2 S/X never, ever required an add on board.

There was a period of time in which having a pano roof affected whether or not you had the SXM antenna. But this was NOT the case post-Raven (late 2018 early 2019). You're working with old info.

Source: Me, Dec 2018 delivery, XM was a go/no go for me.

Correct. FYI when Tesla/posters say "pano roof" they usually mean the panoramic sunroof, which is the one that opens. Glass roof is the one that does not open but doesn't have the cross bar.

The glass roof originally did not have XM, but later did. Pano roof always had XM.

This stuff about the "glass" (pano) roof not having the XM antenna is **incorrect**. In late 2018, the sunroof was discontinued and the pano roof was the only option available from then on. Shortly after the Raven refresh, ALL model S and X included SXM capability. The "pano roof no / sunroof yes" "rule" USED to be correct; until late 2018/early 2019 with the Raven introduction.

There was a period of time in which having a pano roof affected whether or not you had the SXM antenna. But this was NOT the case post-Raven (late 2018 early 2019). You're working with old info.

Source: Me, Dec 2018 delivery, XM was a go/no go for me.

My bad then! Thanks for the update! I'm glad they added that back after the Raven. I rode in a 2019 S that also didnt have it but must have been right before that was added back.

@omarsultan Greatly appreciate your sharing so much info on your car - your car looks really nice!
Not sure if it's been discussed already, but how much does road/outside noise leak inside the car while on the highway? I test drove a MX last year, and it seemed that outside noise was louder than other cars.

I know they advertised new refresh to have noise cancellation to address this issue. I was wondering how much is it actually resolved.
One of the things I am really pleased about is how low the noise floor is, even without the active noise canceling. The "acoustic" glass helps, but I would guess they did some other things with the chassis. We also have a Model X P90D and agree I wish it were quieter.

One of the things I am really pleased about is how low the noise floor is, even without the active noise canceling. The "acoustic" glass helps, but I would guess they did some other things with the chassis. We also have a Model X P90D and agree I wish it were quieter.

To be honest this is one of the things I’m most looking forward to actually experiencing, and one of the biggest selling points I think the wife will like. Currently driving an Acura with pretty bad road noise.

I'll be especially interested to hear (literally) how it is at 80-90mph. Just did yet another road trip in our X (2019 raven blahblah), and the noise above 80 is very noticeable, mostly from air passing over the car. In some of the western states, I hope my Plaid S will be able to cruise those 85mph zones in relative silence!

To be fair my M3P is noisy as hell, but the ANC in my Airpods is a cheap fix there... :)

That's great to hear.

Do you have any rattles or any other annoying noises in the car? My S has always had way more rattles, ticking, or other noises than I would like. Service even tried to fix it multiple times but gave up and said they're not going to try anymore.

@omarsultan Thanks for the additional photos on smugmug. I find myself refreshing that page just as often as this thread to see what new photos/videos you have posted 😂 I really appreciate the quality and up close shots of the interior.

What's the highest you've charged it at and what was the range estimate after doing so? Also, have you tried the different steering feel options like comfort vs. sport?