Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey @omarsultan . Can you drive for two hours and let us know how the yoke is for long drives.. then can you go the grocery store and fill up the trunk with groceries. Try half drygoods and half produce with three six packs of beer so I can see how it looks. Then accelerate to 53 MpH and see if battery life is affected with and without the groceries. Please do so while playing music, classic rock please, and meause how the sound compares at 53 MpH, 45mph and 31 mph. Meanwhile please fill the frunk with as many backpacks filled with books as you can and see if the rear screen can play you tube videos while the air system is growing strong. Also can you do three 360's in a row out of the autoshift position. Thanks!
Seriously Omar is too nice to answer all the questions patiently and post pics and videos everyday since delivery while other plaid owners are busy enjoying their cars. Thank you for all you are doing. Others need to be considerate as I’m sure he is busy and has a job to do to pay for the plaid lol

Just a thought. Can't you download the XM app on your phone and just play it through bluetooth system?
I was going to offer this as a suggestion. While the sound quality is crap for music it is a great option for news and sports. For me, I like ESPN U for college sports when I'm out doing property inspections. The benefit is that I can start a show (usually Full Ride in the morning) and then pause it when I get out for inspections and then pick up where I left off when I take off for the next property. You can also fast forward through commercials. My ICE has XM and I can't (or am too dumb to figure how to) forward and skip commercials like I can with the app. When I'm in the ICE I still use the app.

I'm so confused as to how noise cancelling works when the microphones are inside the car. On my headphones the mic is on the outside of the speaker area because that is the sound it is measuring/cancelling. What frequencies does it choose to cancel when the sounds/notes are mixed in with talking/music?

Hey @omarsultan . Can you drive for two hours and let us know how the yoke is for long drives.. then can you go the grocery store and fill up the trunk with groceries. Try half drygoods and half produce with three six packs of beer so I can see how it looks. Then accelerate to 53 MpH and see if battery life is affected with and without the groceries. Please do so while playing music, classic rock please, and meause how the sound compares at 53 MpH, 45mph and 31 mph. Meanwhile please fill the frunk with as many backpacks filled with books as you can and see if the rear screen can play you tube videos while the air system is growing strong. Also can you do three 360's in a row out of the autoshift position. Thanks!
Also, will it float, is it bullet proof, and can you hose out the interior after field dressing a rhino?

I have a glass roof 2020 Raven ... I added XM ... it was just a little box they plugged in up near the frunk ... they didn't install any antennas ... perhaps it's integrated into the little box, dunno 🤷‍♂️

You can only get it if the antenna already exists. It’s bizarre that you didn’t have yours included in 2020. It absolutely was a standard option then. It almost seems as if yours was left out by accident?

Reactions: BPeter
@omarsultan - not to beat a dead horse, but I think once thing we’re missing is the list of “source switches” in the settings control panel, not the band of apps at the bottom of the screen. If this shows SXM but is ”grayed out”, we may know this is open for a future software enablement.

I'm so confused as to how noise cancelling works when the microphones are inside the car. On my headphones the mic is on the outside of the speaker area because that is the sound it is measuring/cancelling. What frequencies does it choose to cancel when the sounds/notes are mixed in with talking/music?
Noise cancellation works best on continuous background noise within set frequency bands, like engine noise inside planes. Same thing inside cars, where the microphones listen to such sustained background noise and the speakers output the same sound but in opposite phase, to effectively cancel the noise. Hence the microphones inside the cabin to measure sounds that the occupants would hear. Speech and music have a wider variety of sound frequencies that are less susceptible to noise cancellation techniques.

You need the sounds that's inside the cabin to be cancelled. No point to cancel outside noise that doesn't makes into the cabin

If you don't already have one, would be great if you could find someone who has a Dragy device (or similar precise tester) in your area and do some solo actual launch (0-60, 1/8th mile and if possible 1/4 mile) testing to be the first one with accurate results outside of Tesla that you could then post here.

I am surprised we have not seen more internet data on this type of thing given this is the fastest production car of all time. Once DragTimes gets their car...we will know a lot. I am predicting that all of Tesla's performance claims are spot on.

Noise cancellation works best on continuous background noise within set frequency bands, like engine noise inside planes. Same thing inside cars, where the microphones listen to such sustained background noise and the speakers output the same sound but in opposite phase, to effectively cancel the noise. Hence the microphones inside the cabin to measure sounds that the occupants would hear. Speech and music have a wider variety of sound frequencies that are less susceptible to noise cancellation techniques.
Yes but isn't there a difference in that engine noise inside a plane is measured outside of the 'space' where the sound is produced (the speaker on the headphone)? I mean, if you listen to someone talk while wearing ANC headphones their voice is a bit muddled because the headphone is cancelling out some of the tone from the speaker. I might definitely be missing something here but it seems really weird the ANC system would also be cancelling 'noise' (sounds) produced inside the car's cabin (which seems unavoidable?).

Last edited:
Omar, question from another Omar......regarding sound and insulation. On our current S and X (both '17 vintage), if you are on a phone call using bluetooth the whole darn conversation is clear as day from the outside. Do you know if this is still an issue in the refresh? Or, anyone, if this was addressed in later years?

Last edited:
Yes but isn't there a different in that engine noise inside a plane is measured outside of the 'space' where the sound is produced (the speaker on the headphone)? I mean, if you listen to someone talk while wearing ANC headphones their voice is a bit muddled because the headphone is cancelling out some of the tone from the speaker. I might definitely be missing something here but it seems really weird the ANC system would also be cancelling 'noise' (sounds) produced inside the car's cabin (which seems unavoidable?).
Very valid questions. Noise cancelling algorithms can be easily tuned to hear noisy sounds of set pitch and volume, for example wind and tire noises inside the cabin in and cancel them. The same sustained sounds would be cancelled if the music system produced them inside the car. The idea is to catch the noise where it is heard, not where it is produced. ANC is also tuned for closed environments, just like headphones that are sealed around the ears, and would be non effective if the windows were open in the car.

Yes but isn't there a difference in that engine noise inside a plane is measured outside of the 'space' where the sound is produced (the speaker on the headphone)? I mean, if you listen to someone talk while wearing ANC headphones their voice is a bit muddled because the headphone is cancelling out some of the tone from the speaker. I might definitely be missing something here but it seems really weird the ANC system would also be cancelling 'noise' (sounds) produced inside the car's cabin (which seems unavoidable?).

Basically you need to measure the noise you want to cancel as close as possible to the speakers that will do the canceling. It wouldn't work to measure the sound a distance away from the speakers because the phase of the sound waves has to be aligned just right for them to cancel out and the phase is different at different points in space and also varies according to frequency. If they could put microphones and speakers right where the sources of noise were and produce sufficient volume they could theoretically cancel noise out at the source but that's probably not as practical as using speakers and microphones inside the car.

I figure it will be a competitor that eventually files the lawsuit for unfair business practices / false advertising.
Interesting legal theory. You do realize said competitor will have the burden of proving the amount of money it lost as a result of Tesla promoting ANC before enabling it? Keep in mind, courts routinely dismiss these types of lawsuits because they are too speculative.

New video from @gabeincal How many S's?
It’s exciting to see all the new Model S vehicles, but the Multi-coat White and Red seem to be almost non-existent. Some have speculated that the white isn’t being produced because it is a free color and the red doesn’t necessarily increase profit because of extra labor. It seems like these two colors would just slow down production due to the extra multi-coat step that is required in the painting process.

If your production line is only producing cars in the low 100’s per week, you would obviously want to eliminate any bottlenecks in the production process. Multi-coat paint might be one of those bottlenecks. Is this a reasonable assumption? How much more labor intensive is this multi-coat process?

Last edited:
Best. Post. Ever. Literally took me five minutes to read because I was laughing so hard!!