Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last years MS total production as under 30,000 so less than 750 a week. There maybe more demand with the refresh
There absolutely will be. Problem is this production SNAFU is cutting in to their monopoly on higher performance long range EVs. So that’s 25,000 units (assuming 50,000 annual) that they’ll never sell. By the time they get up and running full speed and catch up with the backlog they’ll have far more serious competition. What a shame.

Don't kill me Omar, but, a couple things I noticed regarding fit and finish on your Model S...

1) the white trim behind the yoke seems to be a little off on the right side, it doesn't connect all the way. I'd keep an eye on this to make sure it doesn't come loose/get worse.

2) it might be worth a service center visit to have them readjust your trunk. The right side gap is probably twice the size or so of the left side.

View attachment 673483
View attachment 673484
I measured, the trunk gaps are equal--was probably standing off center a bit.

Not to stray off the topic of the thread [1] but I think you're neglecting some important bits of reality on this.

The basic issue is that there's a bunch of noise outside the car, including some generated by the car, that passes through (for example) the windows, and you have to listen to it, right?

View attachment 673498

... so one thing that Tesla can do is have better sound-insulating materials, such as "acoustic glass", to attenuate those sounds:

View attachment 673511

... that's OK, but not good enough, because this is an expensive car and if you can't hear a mosquito fart while driving 100mph, what's the point? So they're going to cancel the sound. ANC isn't anything new, and it's come a long way in the last couple of decades but basically if you have a sound wave, and add to it an identical but inverted sound wave, the result is very quiet [2]:

View attachment 673514

... if we take the black wave and invert it, then add the inverted wave to the original one, we get zero (let's ignore my sloppy image editing).

That's great, and for that to work, we need to get exactly the set of frequencies that you are hearing - as you say, right next to your eardrum - then invert them and play them back with perfect fidelity at the exact instant that the actual waves hit your eardrum.

That would be cool, but it's also physically impossible, because:
a) The speakers generating the anti-noise are some distance (maybe half a meter? less? more?) from your eardrums, and
b) There's additional delay because the DSP has to process the sound and then poop it back out to the car's amplifiers.

There's additional things at play here; the DSP, being clever, is also going to have some awareness of sounds that the speakers are not able to faithfully reproduce, so it may attempt to ignore those or treat them differently. It may also be on the lookout for specific frequency bands or types of sounds, e.g. emergency sirens, car horns, and people speaking, and not attempt to cancel them. As others have noted, some types of noise are relatively easy to cancel; others are much harder. Let's ignore all of that and just look at our basic oversimplification:

View attachment 673519
If we take the sounds right at your ears, send them back to a computer, have it invert them, then play them back from speakers that are half a meter from your ears, what you'll hear is a muddled mess because the anti-noise that reaches your ear is actually the inverse of something you heard a couple of milliseconds ago. That doesn't seem like a lot, but what you end up with is weirdly white noise with odd gurgling and jingling sounds, and other effects that you don't want.

If the microphone is just before the speaker, then that delay is minimized (and, being known, can be accounted for) and the speakers are more likely to play something that's out of phase with the reality of now, rather than the reality of a couple of milliseconds ago, relative to your ears:

View attachment 673520

This all seems very excessive so I'm going to stop now but ... I'm going to speculate that if there are microphones on the seats near your shoulders, they're not doing the primary work of active noise cancellation because they're on the wrong side of the speakers to be useful. They could be used to help the system distinguish sounds that shouldn't be canceled (e.g. people speaking), or be for something else altogether.

[1] who am I kidding?
[2] This is some high school level oversimplification but it works well enough. We're not going to the moon here.
Here's how I would do noise cancellation.

1. You make the assumption that noise signature (frequency and amplitude) is changing slowly.

2. The microphones detect noise by scanning the measured sound, and observing which frequency bands have energies that are more or less constant (over some time set by the algorithm). That's the background noise.

3. A waveform that approximates the noise is generated, inverted, and sent out to the speakers.

4. A feedback loop adjusts the amplitude and frequencies of the generated noise so the the levels detected is minimal.

5. Speech from passengers vary over time and not not interpreted as noise.

Not to stray off the topic of the thread [1] but I think you're neglecting some important bits of reality on this.

The basic issue is that there's a bunch of noise outside the car, including some generated by the car, that passes through (for example) the windows, and you have to listen to it, right?

View attachment 673498

... so one thing that Tesla can do is have better sound-insulating materials, such as "acoustic glass", to attenuate those sounds:

View attachment 673511

... that's OK, but not good enough, because this is an expensive car and if you can't hear a mosquito fart while driving 100mph, what's the point? So they're going to cancel the sound. ANC isn't anything new, and it's come a long way in the last couple of decades but basically if you have a sound wave, and add to it an identical but inverted sound wave, the result is very quiet [2]:

View attachment 673514

... if we take the black wave and invert it, then add the inverted wave to the original one, we get zero (let's ignore my sloppy image editing).

That's great, and for that to work, we need to get exactly the set of frequencies that you are hearing - as you say, right next to your eardrum - then invert them and play them back with perfect fidelity at the exact instant that the actual waves hit your eardrum.

That would be cool, but it's also physically impossible, because:
a) The speakers generating the anti-noise are some distance (maybe half a meter? less? more?) from your eardrums, and
b) There's additional delay because the DSP has to process the sound and then poop it back out to the car's amplifiers.

There's additional things at play here; the DSP, being clever, is also going to have some awareness of sounds that the speakers are not able to faithfully reproduce, so it may attempt to ignore those or treat them differently. It may also be on the lookout for specific frequency bands or types of sounds, e.g. emergency sirens, car horns, and people speaking, and not attempt to cancel them. As others have noted, some types of noise are relatively easy to cancel; others are much harder. Let's ignore all of that and just look at our basic oversimplification:

View attachment 673519
If we take the sounds right at your ears, send them back to a computer, have it invert them, then play them back from speakers that are half a meter from your ears, what you'll hear is a muddled mess because the anti-noise that reaches your ear is actually the inverse of something you heard a couple of milliseconds ago. That doesn't seem like a lot, but what you end up with is weirdly white noise with odd gurgling and jingling sounds, and other effects that you don't want.

If the microphone is just before the speaker, then that delay is minimized (and, being known, can be accounted for) and the speakers are more likely to play something that's out of phase with the reality of now, rather than the reality of a couple of milliseconds ago, relative to your ears:

View attachment 673520

This all seems very excessive so I'm going to stop now but ... I'm going to speculate that if there are microphones on the seats near your shoulders, they're not doing the primary work of active noise cancellation because they're on the wrong side of the speakers to be useful. They could be used to help the system distinguish sounds that shouldn't be canceled (e.g. people speaking), or be for something else altogether.

[1] who am I kidding?
[2] This is some high school level oversimplification but it works well enough. We're not going to the moon here.
Love this level of discussion and your graphics. I know just enough to know what I don't know so I appreciate those who know more or explain better lol.

@omarsultan, sorry if the cabin camera was already covered (I searched).

What are the details? Lens size, location, blocked by mirror, any other features different than Model 3/Y? Just the one I assume?
Did you see this picture on @omarsultan ’s Smugmug?

91A2F57B-57C4-4347-A965-A9BE4C820DA5.jpeg

All the ANC conjecture made me remember a lecture years ago where they had a Benz computer engineer come to Cal Poly(go Mustangs) to discuss computers in cars. One item coding for active sound cancellation in automobiles. Fascinating stuff, massive number of lines of code. The amazing thing is the story he told they almost got arrested because the system worked to well. They did not hear the police siren. They actual had to make a sub-routine loaded with emergency sirens sounds from all over Europe.

Did you see this picture on @omarsultan ’s Smugmug?

View attachment 673529
Thanks. Hard to tell from that picture exactly due to unclear depth/dimensions, but looks like a slightly (?) larger lens than Model 3 and perhaps less obscured by the mirror (less clear).

(Really hoping at some point that I’ll be able to go back to having both hands on the wheel when driving, which is currently difficult to do without upsetting AP. I assume Model S Plaid still has torque sensing and not wheel touch sensing. Anyway camera capability is potentially key here, and may also enable other safety enhancements to help mitigate impacts of distracted driving. We’ll see.)

Reactions: EVonly
Anyone here took delivery of a black interior Plaid S yet that can share some photos/videos? A lot of videos and photos online for the white/carbon fiber but haven't found any for black. Have to say though the carbon fiber looks a lot better in the actual videos and photos than Tesla's configurator which makes it look like a fake sticker...
Yes, we all know a guy, but he has been MIA since he took delivery. He is probably busy grinning ear to ear driving his new Plaid and doesn’t really have time to check in with us anymore.

@Atomadam - People are jonesing for some pics of your black interior Plaid.

See, now I have you answering questions for me :) #success
For my contribution to hitting 2000 pages. I now understand why Omar says his location is Northern California. If we knew what city he was in we would be in his front yard when he wakes up waiting to ask him questions. One item, I grew up in Mt Shasta California (which is Northern California). I hear people in Stockton say they are from Northern CA(300 miles south of Mt Shasta).