Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though you had signed the lease, there's a start date for lease which is typically the day when you collect the car. Leasing company may have the right to change the lease rate based on market conditions or your monthly payment based subject to vehicle cost. I don't think Leasing company would like to take a hit... You are lucky if they are able to maintain even the same monthly payment.
Residual is a percentage of MSRP, his MSRP didn’t change so the lease terms are the same. He wants the higher MSRP so a higher residual with a $10,000 cap reduction.

Residual is a percentage of MSRP, his MSRP didn’t change so the lease terms are the same. He wants the higher MSRP so a higher residual with a $10,000 cap reduction.
Precisely. The bank cannot raise my lease payment. The leased amount has not changed. I bought the car at the set price, pre-increase in MSRP. What has changed is the residual value, thereby reducing the spread between cap cost and residual (The whole enchilada that I pay for pre-tax).

It should go down. If not, I’ll switch to finance the car and realize the $10,000 “appreciation“ that way. Problem is then I get stuck paying full tax and I don’t plan on keeping the car behind 3-4 years tops). Florida only taxes monthly x duration on leases)

Trying desperately to discuss such things in the other thread (but replying here one more time too, just to be able to provide link below, as a reminder to others):
Model S Plaid Battery Details, sourced from EPA Docs, Vehicle Observations, & Supercharging/Charging data

My best guess is 500V max pack voltage for the new pack, and I thought we knew the prior pack was 400 (~403V, 96x4.2V)?

But in my reading of the manuals, there is so much slop on how Tesla specifies nominal voltage, the new pack could be higher (or lower) than 500V max.

A detail to be worked out.
”full” packs in Tesla have been 96s since the original model S. Tesla makes max voltage about 4.15V at 100% SoC and 3.7V is nominal for NCA cells. So max voltage in “full” Tesla packs is 398.4V and nominal is 355.2V.

plaid changes this. 450V implies 108S, the number of parallel cells will decrease proportionally. So the outgoing Model S pack was 96s86p and the new one will be something like 108s76p. This would imply a decrease in cell count from 8256 cells to 8208 cells. Of course this is just guesswork. But guesswork that can’t be more than a few percent off.

It’s interesting that none of the serial string counts that give near 450V are divisible by by 8256 so cell count almost certainly changed

Last edited:
Precisely. The bank cannot raise my lease payment. The leased amount has not changed. I bought the car at the set price, pre-increase in MSRP. What has changed is the residual value, thereby reducing the spread between cap cost and residual (The whole enchilada that I pay for pre-tax).

It should go down. If not, I’ll switch to finance the car and realize the $10,000 “appreciation“ that way. Problem is then I get stuck paying full tax and I don’t plan on keeping the car behind 3-4 years tops). Florida only taxes monthly x duration on leases)
Well no. You didn’t buy the car. The residual is set to the sale price of the car which in your case hasn’t changed. You get the same payment you agreed to instead of an increase.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
OK, I have to admit I am losing track of the open questions, so.....one more spreadsheet :). Add you question and TMC ID and I'll post the answers back here and tag you. As I said, most of the questions are good and make me curious about the answers too, so I don't mind doing this. My only ask is to keep this this thread--if a question does not have a TMC username, I will ignore it:

The manual indicates that by selecting comfort mode for the yolk steering it changes the ratio and makes it “easier to steer.” Have you tried that and does it really make any difference to you on long drives?

”full” packs in Tesla have been 96s since the original model S. Tesla makes max voltage about 4.15V at 100% SoC and 3.7V is nominal for NCA cells. So max voltage in “full” Tesla packs is 398.4V and nominal is 355.2V.

plaid changes this. 450V implies 108S, the number of parallel cells will decrease proportionally. So the outgoing Model S pack was 96s86p and the new one will be something like 108s76p. This would imply a decrease in cell count from 8256 cells to 8208 cells. Of course this is just guesswork. But guesswork that can’t be more than a few percent off.
Happy we have folks here that know these cars a lot more than I do.
I simply know how to charge em and drive (and smile.) 🤩.

Here’s a bit off topic to keep this party rolling...

I signed to lease my Plaid before the $10,000 price increase. Post price increase, my residual value should have increased about $5,000 roughly (50% of the $10k increase). Shouldn’t that be reflected in an adjusted lease payment? My payment should go down roughly $140 per month over 36 months. I emailed my SA and I’m holding my breath.
What is your lease payment?

OK, I have to admit I am losing track of the open questions, so.....one more spreadsheet :). Add you question and TMC ID and I'll post the answers back here and tag you. As I said, most of the questions are good and make me curious about the answers too, so I don't mind doing this. My only ask is to keep this this thread--if a question does not have a TMC username, I will ignore it:

What do you mean losing track? Is this not your full time job now? 😀

Well no. You didn’t buy the car. The residual is set to the sale price of the car which in your case hasn’t changed. You get the same payment you agreed to instead of an increase.

In my experience, that is not the case. When you lease a car, the MSRP is a fixed amount from the manufacturer based on the optioned model you chose. You don’t change that. The “sale price” of the car is the MSRP less any cap cost reduction (dealer cash, factory incentives, down payments, etc) and more any add-ons (wear and tear agreements, maintenance plans, etc). This final amount is the “sale price” or amount financed. The difference between that figure and the residual value is the chunk of what I’m paying for over 36 months, adding in the money factor, rental charge, sales tax, etc). Residual Value is the percent of M S R P. My MSRP went up $10,000. Hence the chunk I have to pay for just got smaller.

The manual indicates that by selecting comfort mode for the yolk steering it changes the ratio and makes it “easier to steer.” Have you tried that and does it really make any difference to you on long drives?
Check out Tesla Raj’s video at the 29:00 mark. The driver talks about how much easier it is to drive the yoke (with one hand) if you are in comfort mode.

Last edited:
In my experience, that is not the case. When you lease a car, the MSRP is a fixed amount from the manufacturer based on the optioned model you chose. You don’t change that. The “sale price” of the car is the MSRP less any cap cost reduction (dealer cash, factory incentives, down payments, etc) and more any add-ons (wear and tear agreements, maintenance plans, etc). This final amount is the “sale price” or amount financed. The difference between that figure and the residual value is the chunk of what I’m paying for over 36 months, adding in the money factor, rental charge, sales tax, etc). Residual Value is the percent of M S R P. My MSRP went up $10,000. Hence the chunk I have to pay for just got smaller.
This has a negative impact too because if your residual is higher, it means your lease buyout option essentially incorporated the $10,000 increase, no?

I was planning lease-to-buy, or if much better options come out, trade in the lease to upgrade.