Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
brakes - utter crap - and not up the task of a vehicle that can easily accomplish more than 180 mph - OMG they are sooooo bad
  1. he said if they fix the brakes they wil have the BEST 4 door lux sports sedan on the market
  2. you can soo easily drive this car too fast for the brakes to meet you expectations - he predicts people will die because of this - the car is sooooo fast, but you can’t stop it.
It's because they're not red. Duh

They are coming!

They are coming!
Loving see write ups with information that was known in this thread for a day or more 😂 At least we are all in the right place to hear the latest and greatest updates!

So, went on a vet run and was scouting back roads, so I did mange to squeeze in one run with the Drag--had to let off at the end as a car was coming in the opposite direct (you can see where) and the road was not smooth, so I maybe a bit a loss of traction from that. I ts kinda funny I am being critical of the time, tho :)

View attachment 674217

I still think this is really good for a first run!!! All of these results will have some statistical variance. Definitely can see where you left off in the dip in G's. You are absolutely missing some tenths! I fitted a straight line to you acceleration (above 45 mph you can clearly see it). Right around 45 mph you start to decelerate. Judging by the plaid power curves, this is the area where the power comes in and boosts the performance compared to old model. So I think you are likely there.

Based on what you have shown there is strong evidence this car can achieve a 2.2 without the 60 ft roll-out!

Last edited:
My Lr is supposed to do 3.1 second 1/4 mile. I’ll be happy if they just deliver it. If it end up 4.1
Seconds that will be .4 seconds faster than my 2016 MB AMG-GTS that I paid 165,000 bucks for.
I generally do not go faster than 100 mph on highway. So I am just looking forward to owning a great electric sedan.
I haven’t drag raced a car
Since I wAs 17 years old. Had a custom Custom Camaro with a 454 cu in engine putting out 500 hp. It would do 1/4 mile
In 11.3 seconds at 130 mph.I just want to have my new LR
Car delivered. It has been 6 months to the day since I ordered it. I am trying to do the right thing in buying a more Environmentally friendly ev for the first time. I wish the Porsche Taycan had more range. It probably is more fun to drive quickly through some windy
Road than my sedan will feel.
Btw: I owned a new 1971 Lamborghini miura. Super fast and super
Fun. Ac leaked on my lap but that was almost
Expected. But back then, the 4 door
MB 600 6.9 litre sedan did 1/4
Mile faster Than Lamborghini. Bit Lamborghini was a hell of a lot
Mores Fun to drive

Rant off. Just want my new car soon. I’m 67 years old. I want it before I die. Maybe my age is making me cranky
Interesting car resume. If this is your first electric, and especially your first Tesla, you are going to be in for a HUGE surprise. I started on this train in 2012 with a P85 test drive and can tell you without a doubt that EVERYTHING changes with these cars.

For instance, simply being able to flat foot launch the car out of your garage (if you are inclined to do such things) is unheard of. There is no oil temp to concern yourself with. Soooo much nonsense simply falls to the wayside leaving you a much purer driving experience.

It is true that you can not beat physics and this is a heavy monster (think Maranello) but just remember that lap time is made on corner exit and nothing (on street tires) beats this thing on exit :)

Last edited:
A friend of mine who just got a Taycan RWD sent me this from the taycan forum. Good stuff!

“very knowledgable Performance shop owner today reported on his personal experience with Plaid - track driver - champsionship racer - his shop services/tracks every make/model of car you can imagine, and they have deep experience with most brands (including Tesla) - and he is not a Tesla fan even though he’s in silly-con valley - but sees the writing on the wall with EV
  1. fastest car he’s ever driven - mind blowing (his words) - he’s driven everything (including dragster, La Ferarri, Tesla Model S, Taycan, Cup Cars…)
  2. plaid changes things no doubt based on his 45 min test drive - this is a benchmark vehicle for the entire industry
  3. acceleration is unlike any car on the market
  4. steering/suspension ALL new - all better - really really good in his opinion
    1. steering feel excellent (Porsche quality - his words)
    2. suspension - tight, but compliant - excellent ride quality with great balance for stiffness for performance
    3. handling as good as it gets for a car this big - equal to Taycan if not better
    4. because of the dual motors and software in the rear end acceleration through corners is best on the market right now - grip, feel, and split of power given the dual independent motors on the rear end allow this vehicle to handle like nothing else on the market, both at low speeds and high speed cornering - it’s an infinitely variable limited slip differential virtualized in software - this car can do things no other vehicle can do for handling at any speed.
  5. handling light years better than anything on the market (including Taycan which he’s personally a lot of seat time)
  6. software - order of magnitude fast/better/more control and easy to use than previous Tesla software - will once again set a benchmark for the industry to attempt to catch
  7. did I tell you it was quick - mind blowing quick
  8. he spent an hour going over the car exterior and interior - build quality dramtically improved vs. the 100’s of Model 3 and S’s he has inspected/upgraded/experience over the years
  9. brakes - utter crap - and not up the task of a vehicle that can easily accomplish more than 180 mph - OMG they are sooooo bad
    1. he said if they fix the brakes they wil have the BEST 4 door lux sports sedan on the market
    2. you can soo easily drive this car too fast for the brakes to meet you expectations - he predicts people will die because of this - the car is sooooo fast, but you can’t stop it.
  10. Still not a track car, but able to hang with _ANY_ sports sedan on the market and embarass it greatly
  11. The plaid inspected on a mechanical lift shows a complete redesigned suspension and other components…
His Bottom Line: Best 4 door sports sedan on the market - if they fix the brakes there is nothing to complete with it.

Did I tell you he hate’s Tesla and Elon?

lesson here is: the Plaid is not the model S, and bears little if any resemblance to the pit-falls we are all so familiar with the Model S. The exterior may have not changed that much, but the drive train, suspension are all new and better/best across the board…interior fit/finish and materials are also substaintially better in his assessments (his customer base include bentles, aston martins, porsche’s ferrari’s, lambos, audi’s, jags, land rovers etc - he is in good position to recognize build quality and materials)

My impression in the postings on this thread are from people who have no first hand experience with a Plaid…just my $0.02

One should take a wait and see approach and actually evaluate the Plaid product, rather than just assuming it’s a souped up Model S.”

What we fanpeople think and feel on this forum is nice but of lesser importance. Do not get me wrong, it's enjoyable to spend time with folks that share your interests when something new like this is happening. But, and it is a very big BUT, having this kind of write up on a Porsche oriented forum is more than rare. Do not underestimate what Tesla has done here. As much as they changed the world with Model S showing what can be done and, if done, will be accepted, with Plaid they have put a nail in the coffin of the high end sedan market. Putting the suspension under the (admittedly old) skin and combining it with far more adaptive power delivery dynamics (torque vectoring) then allowing the whole package to pull to over 150 mph will simply stop everyone else in their tracks and have them completely rethinking their offerings moving forward.

Tesla did it with the electric car concept. Gone are the I8s of this world having been replaced with the e-Tron GTs and like. Tesla is single handedly responsible for that. I see Plaid having a similar impact on the overall high end sedan market. Time will tell.

For those lamenting the death of the +, I find myself better understanding the decision given the Porsche Forum write up.

Why produce a one off with single piece casting (integral battery) using different cells and produce it along side the LR and Plaid when the Plaid works as well as it does? I know that was Elon's logic but, ya know, he tends to be a little over enthusiastic and thus I take what he says with a grain of salt. It is not so much a conscience thing but I do find myself discounting a lot of what he says when I evaluate paths forward. Seeing the information from someone that does not have a dog in the fight, or may even have a dog on the other side, is a much more credible source.

I may not like loosing the 520+ miles of range but I think I am perfectly happy with where this current update journey has taken me. Thank you Tesla.

What we fanpeople think and feel on this forum is nice but of lesser importance. Do not get me wrong, it's enjoyable to spend time with folks that share your interests when something new like this is happening. But, and it is a very big BUT, having this kind of write up on a Porsche oriented forum is more than rare. Do not underestimate what Tesla has done here. As much as they changed the world with Model S showing what can be done and, if done, will be accepted, with Plaid they have put a nail in the coffin of the high end sedan market. Putting the suspension under the (admittedly old) skin and combining it with far more adaptive power delivery dynamics (torque vectoring) then allowing the whole package to pull to over 150 mph will simply stop everyone else in their tracks and have them completely rethinking their offerings moving forward.

Tesla did it with the electric car concept. Gone are the I8s of this world having been replaced with the e-Tron GTs and like. Tesla is single handedly responsible for that. I see Plaid having a similar impact on the overall high end sedan market. Time will tell.
I agree, I don't see how anyone buys an M5, E63 or RS6 now. I am honestly really pissed off at Tesla over this whole debacle. I have gone to those dealers to check out the cars, but they really don't hold a candle to even the P100D let alone the plaid.

On another note, does the Plaid actually have a different suspension than the Raven S's? I'm hearing conflicting reports with some saying the suspension is amazing, but then other folks have claimed it feels very similar to even the original air suspension.

I still think this is really good for a first run!!! All of these results will have some statistical variance. Definitely can see where you left off in the dip in G's. You are absolutely missing some tenths! I fitted a straight line to you acceleration (above 45 mph you can clearly see it). Right around 45 mph you start to decelerate. Judging by the plaid power curves, this is the area where the power comes in and boosts the performance compared to old model. So I think you are likely there.

Based on what you have shown there is strong evidence this car can achieve a 2.2 without the 60 ft roll-out!
I'm no drag expert, but what you say makes a lot of sense. The best time predictions for this car, and any car, has to be measured under more or less ideal conditions with someone with experience generally and then in particular with the car and wheel/tire setup. If you went out with a Bugatti or Lamborghini or Porsche and did some 0-60 runs on a regular road with a regular driver, I would assume you would find the same thing.

I agree, I don't see how anyone buys an M5, E63 or RS6 now. I am honestly really pissed off at Tesla over this whole debacle. I have gone to those dealers to check out the cars, but they really don't hold a candle to even the P100D let alone the plaid.

On another note, does the Plaid actually have a different suspension than the Raven S's? I'm hearing conflicting reports with some saying the suspension is amazing, but then other folks have claimed it feels very similar to even the original air suspension.
There were a few comments about the balance of air spring and damping being a bit out of balance but the take away from reading more of the Tycan Forum was that the suspension itself is significantly different in addition to the dampers. The air springs remain which may be the common link some are detecting.

When handling nuts say the primary advantage of Model S is now gone, I tend to believe them. There is no reason why Tesla could not do it. Elon knows how to find good help and BMW/Audi/Porsche have been doing it for years. There have been significant personnel changes in the suspension group. It seems perfectly logical that Tesla used this opportunity (driven by the new motor units) to completely update their suspension geometry and bring it current with, or even exceed, the state of the art in street car handling. If they have one of the two primary dings on the car will have been addressed (handles like a 5000 lb pig and lays down over 40-60 mph). Of course they have also addressed the other ding along with some of the more minor ones (panel fit, interior quality, etc.) judging by the write up.

edit
There are some members quite adept at IPC sleuthing. Perhaps they can shed some light on difference in upper and lower a-arms and such. This should tells us how much of Raven has migrated to Plaid.

IPC
Illustrated Parts Catalog

Reactions: jaguar36
I just got a very interesting call from Tesla in Fremont, the first communication I've had from Tesla since my placing my order btw. Guy asked me if I was interested in taking earlier delivery of my Plaid by swapping from Carbon Fiber to Wood Interior trim. And I said "absolutely". I would have already done this since they starting offering the black ebony wood with the black interior. But I didn't want to get hit with the price hike from current pricing etc. So.. He says he will get my order updated and they will get back with me soon when I have a VIN assigned and that I should now be looking at delivery by the end of June (Nashville). WooHoo!

Edit: Just got an email from Tesla confirming the update and my order details have updated in my account as well!
Back to a “Estimated Delivery: June 22 - June 28” this morning after being blank for a looong time. Like most of you, I would have almost laughed at this based on past experiences with the monkey... But idk? Feels like it might be happening this time.

Fingers crossed for a VIN today?! 🤞🏻😃