Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love to see thinking people's cars, in a appropriate color. My car on the left...

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_100634607_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210619_100634607_HDR.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 95
I keep seeing negative comments on brakes.
I was amazed that my very first P85 had better brakes than a Maranello (shorter stopping distance and slightly better initial bite/feel).

Street car brakes are best when they provide very good modulation and feel in the area they are most likely to be used (not threshold braking) and yet still have enough power to haul down the mass when on ABS. Most people do not threshold brake and even fewer do it when their heart rate is up so ABS performance is key in emergency situations.

What street car brakes do not need at the expense of the above is thermal capacity or the drag of high thermal rejection. As a result, you can get just about any street car brakes to fade if you try hard enough; some easier than others. Porsche strikes a fantastic balance between street and track. Tesla seems to lean more towards street.

I've got almost 100k miles on my P90DL and I've just barely raised a finger nail's worth of lip on the OD of the rotor. For a street car, I really do not want any more rotor mass or cooling drag. Both of those things you rarely need but pay for all the time. It seems to me that Tesla hit the nail on the head perfectly for the intended use.

If I were going to track the car, a set of aluminum hats with floating Brembo or Performance Friction drilled rotors combined with a good set of pads would seem the most likely solution. It still does not address the thermal rejection portion of the equation but would dramatically extend the useful track life of the system.

You can never have too much in the way of brake spares - http://www.lolachampcar.com/images/Generic Spares/Some Rotors.jpg

Of course you could simply just use less brake. Ya know, they only slow you down :)

In closing, I was told by a very old hand that braking is the last thing you learn. He was right. I used to destroy a set of rotors at Road America in a weekend when I started and, by the end, was down to about a quarter of the degradation. I just needed to relax which is a little easier said than done.

Back on topic Still Blank
could not disagree more. This car has THOUSAND HORSEPOWER. It needs good brakes. Having said that, I have not driven it. But the reports i have heard from pretty experienced individuals is they are not great.

Erm, that's not true. I've gotten a car within 4 days of placing an order. It was a car already in TX.

could not disagree more. This car has THOUSAND HORSEPOWER. It needs good brakes. Having said that, I have not driven it. But the reports i have heard from pretty experienced individuals is they are not great.
Are you planning on driving 170-200mph in your Plaid? If not, then I bet the brakes are decent for everyday driving with occassional spirited driving; they still are Brembro brakes...rotors should probably be drilled or slotted but I bet the brakes are still decent. For tracking, that may a diff story though.

Are you planning on driving 170-200mph in your Plaid? If not, then I bet the brakes are decent for everyday driving with occassional spirited driving; they still are Brembro brakes...rotors should probably be drilled or slotted but I bet the brakes are still decent. For tracking, that may a diff story though.
Brembo or not, drilled / slotted don’t mean much in isolation. I’ve not driven / tested the Plaid. I will trust those who have, and race drivers who have driven the car as well. As well as ,y own experience with my M3P.

BTW, Brembo makes white label brake calipers for all sorts of OEMs. So just having the name “Brembo” alone means nothing.

Last edited:
time for an update:
Emails only correspondence:
2/8---TESLA--"Congratulations, Your TA (Tesla Advisor)
2/22---ME--"Hi TA, question about Insurance and no VIN"
crickets
2/25---ME--"Hello?"
2/26---TA--"Sorry been busy. will email you back when we take delivery"
4/19---ME--"Elon not making your life easy at this point."
crickets
5/24---ME--"Hi SA/TA, You still around? Any updates on the MS LR deliveries?
crickets
6/14--ME--"Hi SA, You still around? Any updates on the MS LR deliveries?"
crickets

No Delivery Date on account page
Just to say - I’ve had a lot of engagement With the SA and a note just received about status - and to say my Tesla account shows blank ..

See this post

So i guess it does depend on the SA and maybe when one ordered - but i only ordered like 3 weeks before ..

Will be an interesting end of June delivery run

Reactions: EndlessPlaid