Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the summer performance tires like the Pilot Sports wear out incredibly quickly. I’ve never gotten more than 12k miles out of them, and that adds up really quickly if you drive a lot. With the minimal amount of rain we receive here in drought country, I prefer the summer performance tires to All Seasons. You don’t really have any twisty back roads or mountain passes in South Florida, so I‘m sure you don’t really realize the full benefit of regular Pilot Sports unless you track your cars. Here, summer tires are a significant upgrade in performance.

My LR order is still Blank and both Plaid orders still say June. That is one bogus algorithm they are using to calculate delivery dates.
12k mi is like 7-8 months of driving for me in S FL so I’ll likely be on my 2nd set of tires next Spring, 2022, lol. So yeah, likely Michelin’s new Pilot Sport EV tire or Pilot Sport A/S…which they should have in the proper size for the 21” Arachnid wheels I believe; I used those on my last 2 cars…one had 21” wheels and the other had 22” wheels.

Reactions: EVonly
We didn't try removing it. I assume it was just held on with more double-sided tape.

There weren't any holes. I was feeling around and couldn't find the bolts in the same place I felt just a few days earlier on our 2017 Model S. Erik got down and confirmed: "No bolts. I got on my hands and knees to look. Its a completely different bumper so they had to completely redo the piece."

@Aleks0404 , View attachment 676798 shows the new model, not the old one that wrapped around and was bolted on.
Liked the video. Keep up the great work.

I know, I know.AMG-GTS is a environmentally unfriendly gas guzzling vehicle. The Plaid (even my Long range) is faster 0-60 than the MB. I recently sold my AMG-GTS and I must say I really do miss the sound and feel of that car. It was as rock solid doing 190 on the highway as it was doing 70 mph. Every time I hit the start button the sound of that engine warmed my heart. Oh and Mercedes service is great. Nice loaner cars or sitting areas if you wanted to wait (at least at my MB dealer in NJ)
This will be my first EV snd Tesla. I am very excited but I have many fond memories from some of my ICE sport cars. I am hoping that my new S will create wonderful memories also.
But unlike MB, Tesla is by far the worst company I have ever tried to buy a car from. Ordered Dec, promised mid February delivery. Then mid May. Then tried to call HQ and get the real scoop on my delivery. Guess what. There is no one there to respond to customer requests. The SA's at the local stores are given no real information, so they are forced to guess or lie about what is happening with you car. Then you look at your order on the account page. sometimes you will have an estimated delivery date while other times that info disappears. I recently had ED of 6/21-6/30. Then no ED. Last week I had ED of June until Thursday. Friday no ED, just blank until this morning with the account page showing ED of July.
You can not believe anything Tesla tells you regarding delivery or any of the conjecture on what is delaying your car. Anyone you might speak with from Tesla just don't know anything..

There have been so few real deliveries, that it is difficult to find any true pattern to how and why they decide to deliver a car to anywhere. I also sold my main car and installed Tesla's wall charger so I would be ready for my February delivery. Fortunately we have an extra car that I have been driving over the past 6 months.
I can only imagine how wonderful the Tesla service will be. You can only make an appointment through the Tesla App I believe.
But Tesla is the only real EV game in town.

The most reliable info you will find is on this forum. but even here, take everything with a grain of salt (this color or interior is not being made, or Florida will get priority over California, or the 19" wheels or lack of ordering Full Self Driving are holding up your order) and put you at the back of the line.
BTW: What area do you live?

Again, I am excited about my new S and am sure I will enjoy it. However there are a lot of ?????? for me.

Welcome to the Tesla family and the Tesla way. 😃
I can vouch for the service process so far even though I shouldn’t have needed it. I bought a model 3 this month and took delivery with a few imperfections. I was told to ring up the service center on my app which I did and reference the pick up and send a couple photos. Service center reached out through the app set up an appointment within a couple days. Showed up for my appointment they had a loaner ready for me. They told me it would be a week but had it done the Monday after the Friday I dropped it off. The work was two paint imperfections surprise surprise.

can confirm i was told the same, so probably just assume December-ish.
Based on experience, my guess is they will start calling reservation holders and ask them if they want to switch to the 21 inch wheels. After a week they will cancel the 19 inch wheels and force you to switch to the 21 inch wheels or take your money go home. If you wait to decide they will raise the price of the wheels by $1000 the next week. Not bitter or anything. 😂

Your paying just 1024 a year insurance on a new model S plaid ?
That’s the current quote but I’m old and have all my insurance with USAA.

Attachments

• 6F17BD4F-95B1-447D-A270-840A64EEA67D.jpeg
    6F17BD4F-95B1-447D-A270-840A64EEA67D.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 58
Exactly. They can’t use the old tempest wheels for numerous reasons. The car is wider and wheels have a different offset now. They need to use the new tempest wheels for a wider track, handling and to fill the wheel well. That’s probably why no 19’s have been delivered yet.
Any data on that "different offset"? Was hoping to use my current wheels. Never mind; I see its been answered. Thank you.

Last edited:
I posted earlier that I was the lucky recipient of a Vin this morning. I schedule a pickup of my Model S LR Black/Cream 21” FSD for Monday. At about 5:20pm today I got a call from an SA in Mt. Kisco telling me that he sees my reservation for Monday but its not scheduled to arrive until Tuesday and wanted to ensure that I can take delivery Tuesday or Wednesday for obvious reasons. He did say the truck was coming straight from Fremont to Mt. Kisco so its possible it arrives earlier than expected.

This SA seemed to know what he was talking about. I told him I was super excited to get my hands on the car and a little surprised I am getting it so soon. He said they received a Plaid today that they delivered to their customer and on the truck that my car is on, is a whole bunch of LR’s.
Mt Kisco will be my pickup (4th car) but i do not even have a date. RN1146 Black LR...congrats and love to hear your experience over there.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Well, another update after having my previous VIN removed. I got an email about noon today with a new VIN. This one seems to be official since an email was sent when it was assigned. I also got a text and email to schedule an appointment for pickup about 6 hours later.

Tentative pickup on June 28th, but holding the excitement till the keys are in hand.

Good luck to everyone else waiting on a VIN

Thank you for the update and congratulations! This has to be one of the first Plaids to be delivered out of Nashville. I don't live in Nashville, but that's where I'll take delivery of my Plaid...when I get my VIN in the year 2042. This is the path I chose, the path covered in carbon fiber - a.k.a. unobtainium.

Are you able to wait a few months, you can get the electric transit in Q4!!!
That’s going to be our family hauler (we just had our 6th child last month!). 127 miles of range won’t cut it….have my fingers crossed Tesla will develop a Cybervan. My 2017 S90D has the jump seats but with 8 now - that’s no longer an option for our big family. Just thought it was interesting that I’m being forced to be equally patient with a late Ford as I am with this refreshed Model S!

There is no way I would buy a 127 mile range EV for our family, especially in the absence of a Supercharger network.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Just curious did people get a text or email about their VIN or did they log in and see it first? Just curious if refreshing and checking is pointless if text and email are near immediate

Mine showed up on the account and then a few minutes later rec'd a text from delivery.