Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it back a little late from the tint shop. I’ll try and take some more tomorrow when the lighting is a bit better.

Attachments

• 51B75FB7-2527-4E72-8801-790A2EF2015C.jpeg
    51B75FB7-2527-4E72-8801-790A2EF2015C.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 98
Instead of regurgitating, I’ll add something new. I hit some back roads and one thing I noticed is that the car limits power until the steering wheel is straight. So coming hard out of corners it is restricted. Still fast, but there will be no oversteering very easily.
More feedback like this please! I would love to hear more about corner handling, less about straight-line acceleration. Thank you, and congrats!!

More feedback like this please! I would love to hear more about corner handling, less about straight-line acceleration. Thank you, and congrats!!
I found the corner handling to be excellent. It’s no lightweight and you won’t forget that. But it’s very composed, the steering it’s nice enough, although not overly communicative. The car is very,very planted. I find the ride to be superb in any setting.
I don't have a ton of miles on it so these were all first impressions. And my last S had 19’s so the 21’s and Michelin’s are a big upgrade in regard to handling Compared to the 19’s.

The car is so fast that the regen braking can’t even sort of keep up with the required deceleration for a tight road. I think I’ve used the brakes more in 30 miles in this car than 12,000 in my previous LR! The brakes feel fine, BTW. Nice modulation…nothing special, but also not lacking.

I’ll know more tomorrow but the Autopilot seems to work better. Smoother overall. But I need more time to validate that initial assessment.

Nah. When your car comes you’ll decide if it meets your standards. Doesn’t matter what mine looks like or anyone else’s. I hope yours does meet your standard so that you can thoroughly enjoy it because it really is a next-level product!
It does matter, it’s another data point to see whether or not teslas overall build quality is getting better or worse.
You said camera angle was playing tricks and making it look worse, ok, so post a better angled photo to show that’s it’s not as bad as it looked.

My standards aren’t all that high, but I also don’t want to spend 100k on a car that looks as bad as yours does in that photo. No offense of course, you’re not the one who made that car.

Alight guys - White on White with 21 in wheels and Walnut delivered and wow - better than expected. Drag Strip mode launch is just insane. Fit and finish were incredible and nothing short of amazing. Better than expected - love UI of the screen, games updated tonight.

Just a few things to figure out:

(1) What controllers are best to pair for gaming
(2) How to connect bluetooth headsets to back screen - I successfully paired airpods with car but can't get anything to play through them
(3) Haven't driven enough miles to calibrate full self driving
(4) Waiting for noise cancelling speakers to be activated and screen tilt to come in update
Congrats

#2 waiting on a SW update

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The car is so fast that the regen braking can’t even sort of keep up with the required deceleration for a tight road. I think I’ve used the brakes more in 30 miles in this car than 12,000 in my previous LR! The brakes feel fine, BTW. Nice modulation…nothing special, but also not lacking.
Good point, I noticed this too. OTOH, I also find the car poised and communicative, so feel comfortable going easy on the brakes.

Handling and braking is probably what I’ll notice most. I’m coming from a 2018 Carrera S that I’ve pushed around Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway, Willow Springs, etc. Porsche brakes don’t mess around and they’ll stop you on a dime consistently, predictably, and won’t fade lap after lap. Of course they handle just as good as the stop and you can whip them around like nothing. It’ll be a big change - I’m not expecting Porsche like handling and braking from the Plaid as it’s an entirely different car. I just hope it’s not a night and day difference. In any case I’m sure the 1000+ HP will more than make up for it 😂

So, curious for those who have taken delivery - were there any promises or comments about the things that are not working, including:
1. the Active Noise Cancellation;
2. the tilt screen (Still don't know how it will work unless it also extends it out from the dash);
3. the key cards (reports are they don't work); and
4. SIRIUS XM?
D4erik on YouTube has a video with the screen and mechanism which shows it can tilt and extend from the dashboard. Just not enabled in software yet.

Gorgeous!!! As hard as it is to wait for the red, I just love how this looks more than anything else 😍
@HumanInput I took delivery today. I think it’s unfair I got your car before you but it’s a beaut!

View attachment 679478
No harm, no foul. When would you like to deliver it back to me? 😁 It looks epic, happy to see people getting these and hoping for more red production!

Ok no more photos of red plaids. I can’t take it anymore 😭 Kidding, congrats!
I heard our cars are on the production line next 😎 And, by “heard,” I mean “wish.” 😓

@HumanInput

They’re done and on their way 😜

Tonight was my first drive home I saw car carriers loaded with model S cars. South bound San Jose on 101 - 3 S cars per carrier. All whites and reds.

Funny, i saw a trailer with white and reds as well. Must have been the same one since you are in santa clara as well.

Hey guys. Have had my model s Plaid since Friday. And WOW couple questions wondering if any one knows answers
1) I can’t get my messages to show up from my iPhone. I enabled (in Bluetooth settings) just like in wife’s Y and nothing. Anyone have a fix?
2) calendars very busy shows ALL my calendars on my iPhone just want it to show one? Anyone know workaround

All, I took delivery (earlier than expected) yesterday and would like to give some first impressions.

I know this should be it's own thread in a different forum, but I think this thread is the most active of all, so I thought I'd start this here. This is a quick list of thoughts and I will update. Preamble: I have been driving Tesla since 2012 and my last car was a 2018 MX (old MCU).
  • Interior fit and finish very nice
    • seems more refined than prior MS
    • only thing that seems a bit cheap is the cloth portion of the door
    • my center console is also malfunctioning. The top sliding door worked for about an hour. Now, it won't stay open or half-open. It just slides all the way shut when you let go of it. Have service technician coming to my house next week
  • Doors require a little more oomph to close than I was expecting
    • that said, I am coming from MX that has doors that close themselves
  • Exterior looks sharp
  • Driving experience is amazing. No surprise there. Fast, smooth, corners better than anything I have ever driven
  • Software and hardware are great
    • huge step up from my MCU MX. Interface good and operating system is snappy and responsive
  • Yoke experience:
    • So far, I would describe my opinion of the yoke as "tolerant". Simple, 90 degree turns are easy and kind of fun. But in most cases, it requires you to be actively aware of the steering wheel position. It's not hard or terribly awkward, but it requires more mental effort than I would like. I always considered Tesla's to be so easy to drive that they almost drive themselves (no pun intended, and am not referring to FSD. Just referring to the ease of driving). Having the yoke almost negates that experience. In prior Tesla's, running errands and driving kids to and from practice were never a chore. I actually looked forward to driving. So far, I don't quite feel that way. I feel like the driving experience requires more mental energy and work because of the yoke
    • If given a choice, hands down I would choose a round wheel
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
      • Don't want to be heretical, but these are both very bad. As many have speculated here, Tesla took something elementary and made it hard. We all learned around the age of 15 how to use turn signals and we now have to rewire our brains to do something that used to be really intuitive. Is it doable? For sure, but like the yoke, it requires more mental alertness and concentration than it should. Detracts from the joy of driving.
      • A lot of people like to point out how Elon and Steve Jobs are great at telling us what we like. We don't always know it until we have it in our hands. That's great for iPhones, but not when it comes to handling a vehicle that is capable of going 200 MPH. Keep it simple and safe.
    • Horn:
      • terrible design decision, IMO. There is room in the middle of the yoke for a horn. Why not just make it honk? I have had two situations in which a horn was necessary. One of them was a close call, cause my right hand was not exactly where it needed to be to honk the horn. I can see this being a problem.
    • Park, Forward Reverse selection
      • My car is still "calibrating" (whatever that means), so I can't let it guess my direction yet. Using the screen is fine, but an unnecessary PITA, IMO. I have once swiped down when I meant to swipe up. Fortunately, no cars were behind me.
  • Getting in an out of the car is harder than I remember on my old MS's. This is not specific to MS Plaid. It is more a function of my age and the fact that I got used to SUV dynamics.

Overall, the car is awesome, but I lament the amount of mental focus it takes to drive. I will give it more time and update, but I am not 100% certain I will be keeping this car.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think it's important to balance the enthusiasm with reality. All this is one dude's opinion based on 24 hours experience, so keep that in mind.
Update on above: I am getting used to the yoke. I would even venture to say that most of the time, it's fun and relaxing to use. It's cool to be able to see the area where a wheel would normally be situated.

I tolerate the stalkless turn signals and they are not terribly hard to use. I don't mind gear shifting either.

At this point, I think my biggest concern with all the basic driving changes is a situation in which you might have to act suddenly from an unexpected situation (car backing out of a driveway in front of you or something). Otherwise, I will admit that I seem to be adapting to all the new technology.

Yeah, now I'm wondering if I should debadge mine, lol. 🤔 😜 I'll probably just leave it and have the badge blacked out but this definitely makes me think twice; I don't mind some spirited driving now and then but I don't want to be challenged everyday...not that I see that many Lambos, McLarens, Ferrari's, Porsche 911T-S, GT-Rs, MB AMG-GTs, BMW M5's, etc on a daily basis although they're all over S FL.
They know better by now.

A bit sad and pathetic but I will admit to you all that I named my car, after much thought I choose Speedbird 1, a tip of the hat to the call sign of the British Airways Concorde flight between my original hometown (london) and my new one nyc) … sorry, there you go, I admitted it…haters don’t hate ! Anybody care to share theirs or am I the only sad one here?
Red's Randy Sister

With people having some of these erratic dates like September, October, and stuff, makes me question why there are still people with blank dates. How does that system work or make sense? I don’t think a single person with a straight up blank date has gotten a car yet, only the people with the dates all over the place.