Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Scottsdale SA’s have no clue about any 19” delays. Said I could switch to 21’s but would loose my 2K pre-refresh discount and go to back of the line. I’m pretty sure that’s not true. Tesla please call and offer me 21’s. Because if it’s October till we see 19’s I’ll probably wait for a Jan 22 model. Hate to buy end of year models unless it comes with a 10% discount.
Had the same conversation with the SA’s in Fresno. They didn’t even know there was an issue with the 19’s and said if I made any changes I would lose the 2k and my place in line. I’ve seen others get different responses, which actually is all the more frustrating 😤

Need I remind people that things suck elsewhere as well. Ever tried to buy a Gt3 or Gt3RS brand new from Porsche or the new hot Ferrari (or the Corvette C8)? This is a racket. Long time customers get to cut the line, dealers involved in shenanigans over allocation and what not. If you want the new hot car without any inside connections, you have to go on the used market where these cars sell for way more than sticker. It's a disgusting market for those not in the "club".

Look at the bright side, at least Tesla is not playing that game. And they could. Just limit the production of Plaid models and watch the fireworks! Tesla is building the cars and will sell to anyone at sticker. The delays is a small price to pay compared to getting a GT3 (that also has delays btw).
I'd agree if there was anything orderly about the process, but there isn't. It manages to be worse than a VIP list by being so disorganized. Setting expectations, however disappointing they may be to us pleebs, is preferred to giving false hope and failing to deliver on it.

Chill mode 0-60 for @Crazy Cabbie
Screenshot_20210705-084449_dragy.jpg

Last edited:
I'd agree if there was anything orderly about the process, but there isn't. It manages to be worse than a VIP list by being so disorganized. Setting expectations, however disappointing they may be to us pleebs, is preferred to giving false hope and failing to deliver on it.
Yeah I know. My 3 was built in production hell and delivered in delivery hell. I had people receiving their car that had ordered 900+ days after me. Day1 reservation were supposed to have a special something. We got a drawing and a Mattel toy car (some people didn't even get the toy car :) ). People that didn't care at all and simply put in their order years later got their cars before me/us.

It should be much better.

I finally got a VIN yesterday on my Plaid for delivery July 16- July 20. I bought a M3P last week because I needed a car and got sick of waiting since January 15th. I am going to go look at the Plaid, but I think I’m sticking with my 3. It’s a fun little car, and I can revisit the Plaid purchase later on down the road. My timing has always sucked.

Can guys with reservation numbers RN114[6-7]xxx update the sheet with current delivery ETA? For the first time, I got a data range July 17-24 but VIN not assigned yet. I don't want to get too excited without seeing VIN number in the profile.
My order number is #RN11468 andI would love, truly love, to update the sheet with a EDD but there is none... blank since beginning of May... I had a shot at a MSM/Black/21" out of Vegas EOQ (had a VIN and everything!) but I couldn't get flights to work (it was super last minute.) The SA in Vegas changed my orig config (MSM/Black/19) to match what they had - when it didn't work out, the config did not revert to the original - it kept the 21s.. I left them thinking I had a better shot with the 19s. Now fretting that the change in config has put me at the back of the queue... sigh...

Need I remind people that things suck elsewhere as well. Ever tried to buy a Gt3 or Gt3RS brand new from Porsche or the new hot Ferrari (or the Corvette C8)? This is a racket. Long time customers get to cut the line, dealers involved in shenanigans over allocation and what not. If you want the new hot car without any inside connections, you have to go on the used market where these cars sell for way more than sticker. It's a disgusting market for those not in the "club".

Look at the bright side, at least Tesla is not playing that game. And they could. Just limit the production of Plaid models and watch the fireworks! Tesla is building the cars and will sell to anyone at sticker. The delays is a small price to pay compared to getting a GT3 (that also has delays btw).
Tesla acts in good faith. I would rather deal with Elon Standard Time than a scuzzy dealership salesperson any day of the week.

Lola, spot on. In fact I was just thinking about how to articulate what you just said, and you did it wonderfully. My executive summary: Tesla's (i.e., Elon's) priorities do not place pre-delivery customer service as a high priority. That's a business decision. We may not like it, but that's just the way it is. I do not personally find that it's a worthwhile application of my time/resources to biatch about it. Life is too short. I'm going to soon be receiving a car that is orders of magnitude nicer than any car I've ever been expecting to be able to own. That is SO much more significant than the fact I've had to wait 8 months so far. Besides, I've always needed to work on my delay of gratification, so that's the sliver lining...
@lolachampcar @lzolman I agree
well executed innovative product unavailable elsewhere + superior service system > customer commitment failures, especially after you get your vehicle!

Personally, I find that it’s all about expectation-setting at the time of ordering. If someone placed an order in, say, early June, and Tesla shows delivery of June, I could understand the frustration when July rolls around and the person doesn’t yet have delivery of their order.

Of course, for people who ordered in late January when Elon stated “in production, deliveries next month”, and who saw their deliveries get pushed back many months, the frustration might understandably be much larger, in relative terms.

But it’s difficult to tell a person that “my frustration is justifiably larger than yours because I’ve waited longer, so you shouldn’t be frustrated”, because every person is different and reacts to a different degree to a situation.

Long story short, I find that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if they feel like they’ve been treated unfairly, then no one can deny that feeling for them.

Ultimately, it’s really Tesla’s poor expectation management (and Elon’s excessively optimistic timelines) that create frustration among their customer base. This is relatively easy to fix, in my humble opinion.
Well said.

Part of my frustration was that i expected an April delivery based on the "currently in production" quote from Elon.... And yet, here i am.... Still with a blank date and no end in sight

About the C8 Corvette........I know this story all to well. Some dealerships are charging like 20k-30k (or more) over MSRP. The only way to get one at MSRP is wait like 6-9 months. But now, not even that as GM shut down C8 production for the remainder of the year! Now watch what happens to those wanting a C8, what a nightmare. And who knows what to think about a C8 Z06 and if it ever even really comes out. I really wanted that car and had my heart set on it, but happy to now get something that is much faster and that I can use everyday.

Like you said, Tesla is not playing any MSRP games (thankfully!) like is happening with other car manufacturers.

I don't see a delivery date for my reservation anywhere in my account info while soome of you seem to have this information. Where can I find this info?

I did, however, get an email after my order that indicated a June delivery date, it didn't specify the year though.
Unfortunately, you can’t find your delivery date because you don’t have one. Many of us here are in the same boat. If you see ‘I’m still blank,’ that means I don’t have an estimated delivery date “EDD.”