Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good god, I hate that term. I'm old; 57. That probably explains it. SoCal based for 32 years. Upstate NY prior to that.
Funny how many people in their 50s think they’re old. Maybe 57 was old in 1821.
It’s not old in 2021.
One thing I've noticed on this forum as a 1st time Tesla buyer, the term "BRO" has been used more in one week than I have ever heard in my entire life (I'm 54) but really not a term I would refer to my friends as. Maybe West Coast in stuck in 90's :)

Let me explain. Early on, “bro” mostly referred to a male friend rather than just another man. Later, “bro” became associated with young men who spent time partying with others like themselves. Some identifiy the term "bro" as the one "defining feature" of the changing cultural attributes of manhood.
Oxford Dictionaries identify bros metonymously as those who themselves use the word to refer to others, such as in the example of "don’t tase me bro” in which the taserer is not a bro, but the tased is. The subculture is not defined consistently or concretely, but refers to a type of "fratty masculinity.”
In most cases, the word “bro” used by middle-aged men are those having a hard time adjusting to being middle aged men. Nope it’s East coast as well.

Last edited:
All this Bugatti talk had me reminiscing of childhood car fantasies. Besides the typical Ferrari and Lamborghini posters, I have a fond memory of a blue Bugatti EB110 on my teenager room’s wall. Then came the McLaren F1, etc. Classics in every sense. As an adult, I’ve seen many Ferraris and Lamborghinis in person, but only one Bugatti and one McLaren F1.
Don’t forget about that Porsche 959 😍

Back in 2018 and early 2019, I would bring my MS in for service and I would automatically get an S loaner car. I didn’t need to ask or do anything, it just happened. After the Model 3 ramp, Tesla could no longer provide the same type of service and they slowly started altering their offerings. They eliminated Tesla loaners and started offering cheap ICE cars as loaners. About 6 months later, they eliminated the ICE loaner cars and offered Uber credits. I don’t see any way around this at my service centers because they no longer have access to loaner cars. I would assume Tesla did this nationwide, but I can only speak to what I have experienced here in San Diego.

The good news is there really shouldn’t be that much service aside from any initial quality control issues you might have. In four years, I only brought my car in a couple of times. Once for a failed washer fluid pump, and the other times for some minor squeaks and rattles.

I still get Tesla loaners in Illinois. I make it clear I need one and they come through. I'm usually fine with waiting 3 weeks for an appointment just to get one and they aren't guaranteed anymore but I only have 1 car and my service advisor knows that I can't really do anything but wait while service is being done or get a loaner since I need to transport kids from school to home.

As with all things Tesla, YMMV by region.

If she’s a classy woman over 30, she’ll probably go with the Tesla. If she’s a young and dumb 20 something, then probably the Bugatti even if the guy is a db..

fyi on this point
6e5f5609-5be2-4447-8683-50b2d89fe868.JPG

So, I picked up my MS LR from the detail shop a couple of hours ago. I have had a couple of hours behind the yoke and here are my initial impressions.
  • The car is beautiful inside and out. The exterior with the more aggressive front spoiler and the wider stance from the large tires are a significant visual improvement. This MS interior makes me feel like I'm driving a nicer car than my previous P90DL. Even without the leather that I miss. The carpets are thicker and plusher, and the alcantara headliner is a nice ode to the Performance cars. All of the surfaces feel soft and high quality. I love the way the new center console slides to reveal the cupholder and storage bay.
  • The audio system has definitely improved with higher quality sound that is discernible. I wouldn't say it is a night and day improvement, but it definitely seems like a higher quality system overall with more speakers and more power.
  • The responsiveness of the screen is a huge step up, and the picture quality is fantastic. Seems like a massive upgrade. The visualization on the IC is amazing.
  • The new ventilated seats are much more comfortable than the Next Gen Recaros in my P90DL and the ventilation is powerful and cool to the touch. I know @omarsultan said the ventilation is cabin temperature, but it definitely feels cold to the touch, so I think it must include some cooling technology.
  • The suspension is a significant improvement, and the car feels smaller and handles much better than my previous MS. My P90DL didn't have adaptive suspension and I was always stuck with a very soft ride that suffered from significant body roll. I haven't driven a Raven MS, so I don't know how it compares to the newer cars. I'm much more comfortable pushing the car hard in the corners, and the car is flat, stable and predictable. My P90DL felt comparatively like a boat that I never really enjoyed pushing on windy roads. It is really nice having multiple settings for firmness and ride height.
  • The NVH levels are much improved and the car is much quieter inside. The dual pane glass all the way around makes a noticeable difference. The car is quiet, tight, and has no rattles. 👍 Many of my previous Tesla's have suffered from squeaks and rattles. This is a significant improvement.
  • The YOKE - some of you may know that this was a huge concern for me. The first few minutes of driving it had me worried, but I seem to be adjusting to it pretty quickly. You really need to learn how to drive with completely different habits. I see no reasonable explanation for eliminating a standard steering wheel, but - hey it looks cool! I can definitely live with it and I actually kind of like it on the freeway and on windy roads. I hate it for parking lots and U-turns, but I'm sure I will adapt quickly.
  • Performance - the LR is much faster than I was expecting. It doesn't pack the visceral punch my Ludicrous P90D did off the line, but from 60 up it feels like it pulls much harder than my Ludicrous car. Off the line my Ludicrous car felt like a slingshot or like being shot out of a cannon. This car is definitely software limited off the line, and feels more like a Performance Model 3 initially. Above 30, it pulls much harder.
  • I very briefly experimented with my Dragy. The first run 0-60 had 70% SoC and 3 people in the car, so wasn't an ideal situation. The car did 0-60 in 3.38 seconds or 3.16 with 1ft of rollout. My next run I did solo, and I achieved a 3.15 sec. or 2.93 with 1 ft of rollout, but this was slightly downhill so also not entirely accurate. I will definitely spend some more time tomorrow seeing what the car can do, and will post more Dragy results. Hoping to get a 1/4 mile time if I can find somewhere safe enough.
  • Aside from a couple of small issues with trim alignment, and paint defects, I see no serious issues. I have become accustomed to Tesla paint defects and this car is not immune. I do need to take the car to the body shop to have a clear coat applied to the bottom portion of the rear drivers side door. I also have some window trim that needs adjustment. I only have the car for two more days and then will need to drop it off at Tesla service.
Here are my official Dragy results and pictures of the car after tint. The car is still missing the Tesla logos because they are still at the paint shop getting painted gloss black.

View attachment 681777View attachment 681778
View attachment 681781View attachment 681782View attachment 681783View attachment 681784View attachment 681785
Thank you for the thoughtful write up. The LR is a great value.

So, I picked up my MS LR from the detail shop a couple of hours ago. I have had a couple of hours behind the yoke and here are my initial impressions.
  • The car is beautiful inside and out. The exterior with the more aggressive front spoiler and the wider stance from the large tires are a significant visual improvement. This MS interior makes me feel like I'm driving a nicer car than my previous P90DL. Even without the leather that I miss. The carpets are thicker and plusher, and the alcantara headliner is a nice ode to the Performance cars. All of the surfaces feel soft and high quality. I love the way the new center console slides to reveal the cupholder and storage bay.
  • The audio system has definitely improved with higher quality sound that is discernible. I wouldn't say it is a night and day improvement, but it definitely seems like a higher quality system overall with more speakers and more power.
  • The responsiveness of the screen is a huge step up, and the picture quality is fantastic. Seems like a massive upgrade. The visualization on the IC is amazing.
  • The new ventilated seats are much more comfortable than the Next Gen Recaros in my P90DL and the ventilation is powerful and cool to the touch. I know @omarsultan said the ventilation is cabin temperature, but it definitely feels cold to the touch, so I think it must include some cooling technology.
  • The suspension is a significant improvement, and the car feels smaller and handles much better than my previous MS. My P90DL didn't have adaptive suspension and I was always stuck with a very soft ride that suffered from significant body roll. I haven't driven a Raven MS, so I don't know how it compares to the newer cars. I'm much more comfortable pushing the car hard in the corners, and the car is flat, stable and predictable. My P90DL felt comparatively like a boat that I never really enjoyed pushing on windy roads. It is really nice having multiple settings for firmness and ride height.
  • The NVH levels are much improved and the car is much quieter inside. The dual pane glass all the way around makes a noticeable difference. The car is quiet, tight, and has no rattles. 👍 Many of my previous Tesla's have suffered from squeaks and rattles. This is a significant improvement.
  • The YOKE - some of you may know that this was a huge concern for me. The first few minutes of driving it had me worried, but I seem to be adjusting to it pretty quickly. You really need to learn how to drive with completely different habits. I see no reasonable explanation for eliminating a standard steering wheel, but - hey it looks cool! I can definitely live with it and I actually kind of like it on the freeway and on windy roads. I hate it for parking lots and U-turns, but I'm sure I will adapt quickly.
  • Performance - the LR is much faster than I was expecting. It doesn't pack the visceral punch my Ludicrous P90D did off the line, but from 60 up it feels like it pulls much harder than my Ludicrous car. Off the line my Ludicrous car felt like a slingshot or like being shot out of a cannon. This car is definitely software limited off the line, and feels more like a Performance Model 3 initially. Above 30, it pulls much harder.
  • I very briefly experimented with my Dragy. The first run 0-60 had 70% SoC and 3 people in the car, so wasn't an ideal situation. The car did 0-60 in 3.38 seconds or 3.16 with 1ft of rollout. My next run I did solo, and I achieved a 3.15 sec. or 2.93 with 1 ft of rollout, but this was slightly downhill so also not entirely accurate. I will definitely spend some more time tomorrow seeing what the car can do, and will post more Dragy results. Hoping to get a 1/4 mile time if I can find somewhere safe enough.
  • Aside from a couple of small issues with trim alignment, and paint defects, I see no serious issues. I have become accustomed to Tesla paint defects and this car is not immune. I do need to take the car to the body shop to have a clear coat applied to the bottom portion of the rear drivers side door. I also have some window trim that needs adjustment. I only have the car for two more days and then will need to drop it off at Tesla service.
Here are my official Dragy results and pictures of the car after tint. The car is still missing the Tesla logos because they are still at the paint shop getting painted gloss black.

View attachment 681777View attachment 681778
View attachment 681781View attachment 681782View attachment 681783View attachment 681784View attachment 681785
Thanks for posting the Draggy results, curious did you put in drag strip mode?

Tesla/Bugatti argument is silly. If you can afford a Bugatti you can easily add a Tesla to the stable as well. If Tesla will ever give you a VIN, anyway.

If you want max performance though, the choices are pretty limited these days. Plaid or a twin quad turbocharged 1500HP Lambo, it seems. Only one of those is in my budget and seats my whole family.

Last edited:
Does anyone here know how I can mute this gross and off-topic argument about whether women are mercenary or just stupid? For the record, most of us are neither - just like most men who buy $100,000+ cars aren't compensating...
My apology for not being more supportive of a fellow Tesla owner and enthusiast. I should have made this comment on your behalf rather than you having to do it. Thanks for the educational moment.
Mark.

Does anyone here know how I can mute this gross and off-topic argument about whether women are mercenary or just stupid? For the record, most of us are neither - just like most men who buy $100,000+ cars aren't compensating...

Great points. Is it still okay if a man is buying this vehicle to compensate? Asking for a friend...

I give up with my Bugatti thing. Bugatti is supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

The fact Bugatti merged with Rimac is proof that Bugatti obviously believes that to stay at the top, the path is through electrification of their cars. Let’s be honest, Rimac has not much else but its technology to offer as they only sold and delivered 8 cars in its existence so far.

Seeing some new people on thread asking questions that we all know. So to recap the last 2400 pages.

---Where are the cars???
---seriously, Elon said March its May, WTF??
--This is such nonsense they cancelled the plaid +. Seriously I'm done with Tesla!!!---after I buy the Plaid.
-- The delay? Must be --- a) Chip Shortage b) safety issue c) yoke not approved d) Shipping issues due to COVID disruption of global distribution d) Elon is crazy
---Need my car and this sucks because a) financing expiring b) sold my car c) car breaking down
---Screw Tesla and their customer service but Ill give them some more time because I heard the F-150 and other cars are delayed as well
--OMG an event in June!!
--ooo. what a car!!! congrats Omar!
---hey Omar can the car do ________________________
---Omar is a good dude!
----This yoke thing, I don't get it, Im worried about it and these blinkers are a pain. We will see.
---Ok, some cars coming in, please post your RN numbers and date of order and specs
---What the hell, there is no rhyme or reason for who is getting cars.
---This Car is AMAZING!
---Take pictures!! ----Thanks and congrats!
----Dragy, do dragy!
---Seriously, where is my car! This is killing me.
---look, I got my car and it is worth the wait! Sure Tesla the company sucks, but the car is worth it.
---Dont forget to update the Google Docs!
---Off topic *sugar*
---First LR is in!! same car but not as quick and seats don't keep thighs cool
---Plaid is not worth the extra money!
----Yes it is!!
----Wait until the competition get here. Tesla is doomed with its horrible Customer Service
----Competition is still 3 to 4 years away
---hey, is it me are all the cars being delivered have 21" wheels?
---What is the deal with no Red or CF trim being delivered.
---I got a date for July!
---My date went blank
---I got a date for August!
---My date went blank
---Ordered my car last week and got a VIN
---yeah um congrats on the VIN but I have been waiting since October since last year and no VIN
---Off topic *sugar*
----With EOQ, cars coming quickly but delivered randomly.
----So I switched my wheels to 21" and got a VIN two days later
----So I switched my wheels to 21" and have no VIN two weeks later
----is there a discount by ordering pre-refresh?
----Seriously, I have to get my car! I HATE TESLA
---Got my car I LOVE TESLA
----It is so fast! but is it "too" fast?
--- Is that a gap in fit and finish? Is that paint right?
---So much better than old S
----Should I tint and PPF??
----The Yoke? Yeah, you get used to it and hell, Ill say it, I like it!, The blinkers? Im hoping to get use to it.
----SA's have no clue what is going on
----Yep looks like no one getting 19" wheels until Aug, but likely September but possibly October.
------Off topic *sugar*

It's more likely that your son is just influenced by your interests. My 10 year old daughter knows what a Plaid is and what Tesla cars are. She also knows who I hate politically, and cannot stand Microsoft. All of these things are my values and interests. I don't talk to her directly about any of these things. Kids pick up on everything.
I can vouch for his point. It's not (only) about the parents interests, either. All of my 12 year old son's friends think my M3P is hot *sugar* and none of them are into cars. Most of their parents own typical crossover utes, so they're not from "car families" either. You wouldn't believe how many people that I barely associate with or even know indirectly (son's friends older brothers and their friends) were begging for rides soon after my purchase.

Seriously, Tesla had major street cred with today's youth.