Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright folks, I have some interesting updates to share. After getting nowhere with the standard SA route, I activated my network and got some "insider" information. Here's what my contact told me:

1. Tesla has not produced any new S models with 19" in Q2 for "business reasons" (read, higher profit margin on the 21s to close the books as strongly as possible).

2. Red paint has been produced in small percentages relative to other colors, but carbon fiber is in very short supply (I think we already knew this, but still good to hear it confirmed).

3. Until you have a VIN assigned, don't pay any attention to the estimated dates on your account page, it really doesn't mean much. Getting a VIN assigned is much more likely to come with a narrow set of dates (e.g. 17-19 July) by which there's a much higher likelihood of sticking.

4. There is a production planning meeting happening tomorrow, so I'll hopefully have more information to share on Friday as to the status of my order, which is being "prioritized" (whatever this means).

That last one was interesting, and it sounds like SAs across the US are not kept abreast of the outcome of such meetings. My contact should be able to share some of the details late tomorrow.

cc @Drew-MS @2021plaid etc.
Looking forward to more on this

I remember when I placed my refresh order

BB1EF8D8-B61E-43F7-8CAE-B101EF7BA21E.gif

Only to then be on the delivery roller coaster for all time

4E7DF947-14E5-4B53-99DA-ECF0446E3005.gif

You guessed it…still “July.” 🤪

Day 5 for MSLR. LOVE MY CAR !! Some good stuff so far: 👍
  • Great driving through suburbia, crowded LA streets, freeways and mountain roads so far. Not going for speed but loving having that acceleration when needed.
  • No problem programming 2 garage doors on Homelink
  • Dashcam worked with a verbal command of "Launch Dashcam Viewer." It doesn't always understand my husband's voice tho
  • I REALLY like the FSD lane changes on SoCal freeways!
  • Nerdy me --> the 9:3 hand position are my standard so yoke feels awesome, and yes easy 1-hand driving with hand on center console. Also, I don't miss the stalks at all! Having buttons on the yoke felt normal from the get go
BUT - some worries: 👎
  • Small passenger door alignment issues noted at acceptance to be fixed later
  • Trunk gap looked okay at acceptance, but slipped on Day 2. Now only closes with manual hold at the end. Not going to be able to use it until service in a few weeks (next available appointment time)
  • Today with icky message after parking in garage - "Parking brake functions degraded - Parking brake may not apply or release" and "Automatic vehicle hold disabled - Use brake pedal when stopping." I put car back on, nudged forward/backward a bit and the alerts went off. But still not happy to see that come up.
Has anyone else had error messages with brakes??
Need to know my car will stop when I need it to...
No, but it looks like it's limited to the parking brake, so hopefully its it is something simple.

Although I agree with your sentiment, it must be a regional thing. Here in South Florida, I quite often see older men in their 60’s-70’s racing around in hot rods (many looking for some fun challenges) so to speak…Porsches, Vettes, Ferraris, MB AMGs, BMW Ms, Dodge SRTs, Cadillac CTS-Vs, Teslas, etc. We have a lot of Northeastern transplants here in S FL and they all seem to always try to outdo each other. Kind of sad actually. Me? I’m 52 so not quite there yet but I just like fast sports cars! I could care less what other people have; I’m happy for them if they’re enjoying their rides no matter their age. 😉😎
I’m 75 and I certainly would have been content with the refreshed LR and it‘s new speed, UI,etc. But I would always be thinking what would a Plaid, the fastest production car on the road be like. I have not been disappointed; a little freaked out at times with the car’s rocket response, but very happy i bought the car.

I’m buying the plaid simply because it’s the faster production car on the planet. That simple. I do not have three lives like in Asteroids. I’m using this 1, for enjoyment.
Whether you have a Plaid or LR, have one on order, or are dreaming about one like me..... If you heard in your head the deep 'duhh-duhhhhh-duhh-duhhhhh' of the Asteroid theme, you are still a nerd (like me) 😆 😆 😆

Totally agree, and for most of us here, I don't think $50k would break the bank. However, I think it heavily depends on whether the person places much values in "all that" extra stuff. To some people, it's definitely a tremendous values; it's such a huge jump forward, and for those people, the $50k extra is definitely worth it for them. For some, it really doesn't matter to them as they would probably never use the extra stuff past the honeymoon period. I'm one of the latter group of people, I just don't think I'll take advantage of the extra stuff and would rather keep the $50k in my bank account :)
With that said, I'm so happy to see many people who enjoy their Plaids and LRs and still can't wait to get mine, whenever that is...
Yep for sure. It's cool, don't get me wrong, I just don't care about it. I'd probably launch it with each of my friends, scare the crap out of the wife a few times, then not really do it again (or I'd just immediately crash :D)

That said, I totally understand why "proper car people" (I'm definitely not a proper car person, I just want a Tesla for the tech) would be excited by this, and I do think it's super cool and quietly hilarious having a family sedan be faster that all these specced out super cars. I hope you guys get many years of joy out of it and I'm hyped for you all to get racing and having fun :)

Although I agree with your sentiment, it must be a regional thing. Here in South Florida, I quite often see older men in their 60’s-70’s racing around in hot rods (many looking for some fun challenges) so to speak…Porsches, Vettes, Ferraris, MB AMGs, BMW Ms, Dodge SRTs, Cadillac CTS-Vs, Teslas, etc. We have a lot of Northeastern transplants here in S FL and they all seem to always try to outdo each other. Kind of sad actually. Me? I’m 52 so not quite there yet but I just like fast sports cars! I could care less what other people have; I’m happy for them if they’re enjoying their rides no matter their age. 😉😎
You're getting mighty close to home with your comments sir!
:)

I think the 19’s aren’t being delivered because somethings wrong with them or the way they perform. There seems to be hundreds in the Temp lot. And $4500 extra for 21’s being a business decision…nah….red paint is worth 2500 and cream interior 2K. That’s $4500 extra. If those silver wheels were good, I would take mine and powder coat them the color i want. And those hub caps, don’t care what color they are, I could never drive the S with those Fugly caps. IMO. rant off
Careful, I said the exact same thing and got disliked :p
I am really wondering what the heck is up with 19" Surely it can't just all be for profit. I mean so many cars with 19" wheels were produced and literally parked in a side lot. They could've easily delivered those to increase the profit and no. of deliveries last quarter so I personally do not buy the profit margin bs. What's better? Making 4500 on a six figure car or delivering more units where each unit brings in six figures? Tesla simply produces them in batches and 21" happen to be the first batch or easy to manufacture batch. May be the tempest wheels compromise the Plaid performance and Tesla is re-thinking them. I can't think of any other reasonable reason for them to be having several of these cars with 19" wheels just parked under the sun with no future in sight.

I touched on this earlier with my comments on launch but my take on either the Plaid or LR will be the HUGE increase in "normal" driving enjoyment and interaction with other cars.

For some it is not but for most it is rare to actually put something in launch mode, line up with an XYZ and do the whole hole shot racing thing. Most of us drive these things on a daily bases and treasure the times when we are first in line on the far right lane facing a three lane merge (to the left). My current car is superb in these conditions, the LR much better as it will pull at higher speeds and the Plaid simply stupid fast. No drama. No prep. No sweat.

Most of the launching and racing and YouTube videos will fade but four years from now all you folks will still be spiriting away from traffic lights or installing your car in that gap a lane over with ease all with an enormous grin on your face. I think this is the truly special nature of what Tesla has done and continues to do. Best of both worlds. Great press today and fantastic car thought ownership.

@2021plaid......Brooks just said on youtube that his best 0-60 so far in the street is 2.04 seconds

He also said that he does not think the car can get into the 8's without weight reduction and needs to be trapping 156 mph. I have nor given up on my 155 mph yet... 😁
selling all TSLA this morning p. This is unacceptable. Elon!!!!!! Fix or do somefink!!!

You're getting mighty close to home with your comments sir!
:)
See you out there! Want to race (if your 're getting the LR of course...would be pointless to race Plaid against Plaid imho) with my Plaid? Wait...wait...got to wait a couple min. for Cheetah Mode while stopped at a red light despite all the folks behind us honking their horns, LOL. j/k! 😜

Reactions: Ormond and TNGuy99
See you out there! Want to race (if your 're getting the LR of course...would be pointless to race Plaid against Plaid imho) with my Plaid? Wait...wait...got to wait a couple min. for Cheetah Mode while stopped at a red light despite all the folks behind us honking their horns, LOL. j/k! 😜
LOL pending you got the Plaid this year? :oops: 😂