Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently that’s when the customer service was 5 star platinum, or so some people say
Actually it never has been. Delivery people had far more time then, so service was stellar although there were very few service facilities and no mobile service.
After Model S ramp began in earnest, late 2014 and the P85D arrived there was much more volume. Still there were long waits to get a car and delivery issues were frequent. None of that really bothered very early adopters, but when Model 3 arrived the volumes rose vary rapidly and the world changed. Frankly I think the buggiest issue has been breakneck growth. There has been massive effort to reduce maintenance and increase reliability, and that has worked very well.

The order management and delivery problems have stayed. They were improving rapidly during 2019, but the moment Covid-19 hit, followed with supply issues and staffing problems all the progress came to naught. Since then growth continued, quality has mostly been excellent and Shanghai ramp has mostly been smooth.

Now, though, with things like 4680's, refresh Models S and X coming with all the rest, we have chosen to order right into that reinvention.

If some of us are more patient than others, it's probably because many of us have large enough capital gains on TSLA, realized or not, that we're conditioned to understand why and how these issues arise and we fully expect them to be solved. That, bluntly, was not true for any of those on my summary list of silly technological innovations that I chose to buy before they were even remotely perfected.

I'm convinced that all this will be far better a year from now when Shanghai, Austin and Brandenburg are all in production and the 4680 and Gigapress challenges have been largely met.

One that happens I think we'll have Model Y style introductions rather than Model S and X ones. Of course I'm an optimist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine what people had to go through that have been ordering cars from Tesla back in 2012. I hope they are still alive and did not break mentally.
Tesla Service was incredible in the early days--it all kinda broke when the Model 3 showed up and they got crushed under the volume.

Maybe I've missed it somewhere in the forum, but has anyone actually received a Long Range with 19" wheels? If so, what's it like? Is it worth the wait? I'm about 2 weeks from moving past the sunk cost fallacy of the 9 months I've been waiting and dropping Tesla from my life entirely. This entire process is absolute madness.
No one on this forum as far as it has been reported. There seems to be 19s delivered that are not apparent test mules.

Tesla Service was incredible in the early days--it all kinda broke when the Model 3 showed up and they got crushed under the volume.

Yeah, they also need to avoid ridiculous service visits for items like installing Homelink to Model 3/Y which they could do in the build process instead, all the retrofits being offered, etc.

Good grief a couple of you really act like school children.

On topic: finally called my SA after 4 months of quietly waiting and religiously following this thread. I do not have a VIN or EDD on my profile, but I am in the build plan and should expect delivery in August or early September. MSLR, MSM, Cream, 19s, no FSD ordered April 1st to Dallas. Fingers crossed this holds. Will cross-post to LR-specific break off thread.

Your optimism is admirable, however, not a single 19 has been delivered and there is not a single indication they are or will be in production as of now. And nobody on this forum has been able to get even a confirmation of 19s in production from their contacts. I do not see things changing anytime soon. All these delivery dates juggling is pure bs on Tesla's part and most everyone here knows it. May be we will get an update on 19s in September but as of now I definitely see it as a serious issue with 19s either due to car's performance not being on par with 21s or there is a parts issue that Tesla is not acknowledging. Proper communication is their kryptonite and I wish they'd be more upfront about it but at this point we can only wait and speculate.
Personally, I suspect they simply started production with 21s and sticking with one configuration is more efficient, as opposed to there being some "problem" with 19s. The only "problem" here has been their early lies about the car being in production back in January and ready for delivery in February. As for why they started production with 21s, that would be because they are the more expensive and showier choice. At this point, the backlog must be very long, because I suspect the large majority of purchasers chose 19s.