Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that’s just nuts. I guess you won the bet on ordering the right combo. $10k more is rough though… What are the first few digits after MF in your VIN?
How do you not have a VIN yet is beyond me. You don't even have white interior which seems to be the hold up at this point. I think it's fairly obvious that Tesla is literally prioritizing orders which 10k upcharge over the older reservations

Here's some perspective after I read about what traditional dealerships are doing, while we wait for our cars and Tesla ups the prices of the cars 5k every month or so.

1. Honda is no longer allowing 3rd parties to take over leases. Honda lease vehicles must be traded into Honda dealerships or bought outright by the lesee.

2. Dealerships are marking up cars thousands of dollars over MSRP. I've read as much as demanding 10k over MSRP. Not negotiating, straight up saying if they can't pay 10K over MSRP then the shopper should just leave.

3. Dealership inventory is mostly prebought, and anything not already claimed is what's fetching these absurd numbers.
This whole thing has gotten really interesting to me because I've been looking at just paying off my lease and selling the car privately. I'm not looking forward to the hassle of doing so but the difference in price is at least $12K and that would pay for my window tinting, winter wheels and tires and I'd still pocket $5K or so. Weirdest car market I've ever seen to be sure.

I also received my first specific date range this morning. It says Sept 11-30.

2/5/21 order date. Plaid / MSM / White Interior / CF / 21" Wheels / No FSD

Located in Bay Area.

Since a bunch of us got specific dates this morning, is this reason to be excited??!
Getting annoyed now...January order date with same spec but with FSD. No EDD yet.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
How do you not have a VIN yet is beyond me. You don't even have white interior which seems to be the hold up at this point. I think it's fairly obvious that Tesla is literally prioritizing orders which 10k upcharge over the older reservations
Until supply outpaces demand, not doing this just throws away money for Tesla. It sucks that they are doing it, but it makes sense for the company. For every customer they alienate, another customer praises how quickly and easily they got their car. Also, for every customer that cancels their discounted price order, another customer buys that car at a higher price.