Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although this is NOT my new MS Plaid (this is actually someone else's LR), I thought I would post up a rendering pic of what my car will look like with my new forged 21" Signature Monoblock SV104 (Brushed Black Triple Tinted) although my brake calipers will likely remain black for now (although I may change the color at some point). Same 21 x 9.5 & 21 x 10.5 with exact oem offset but approx 10lb lighter than the 21" Tesla Arachnid wheels.

So, again, if anyone is interested in a full set of my brand new upgraded 21" oem Tesla Arachnid wheels for $2k, here's the posting in the TMC Marketplace FS: Brand New OEM 2021 Model S Plaid/LR Arachnid Wheels (not including tires or tpms) ...might make a NICE SET OF WINTER WHEELS for someone's MS Plaid/LR. If no takers on those, I'll sell them on eBay in early Oct; guessing someone (not on TMC) will buy them for at least $2,500-$3,000. So, I'll reserve the 21" Arachnids for TMC members until 10/1/21. If not sold by then, they go up on eBay.View attachment 696638
So you’re going with forceps over lobster forks?

Yeah I don't know if I'll have the funds for a second set of rims and tires before the temp drops below 40. I may have to park it for about 4 months, and then get some winter tires for the next year.
I’m confused as to how someone that is buying a $100k car, doesn’t have a few grand for wheels and tires to the point where their car would sit for four months? 😳. I’m all for spending money, but if I can’t get tires and spend freely on whatever I want, whenever I want, then I have no business buying a $100k car. Blows my mind. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah I don't know if I'll have the funds for a second set of rims and tires before the temp drops below 40. I may have to park it for about 4 months, and then get some winter tires for the next year.
Another benefit of living in Texas. We don't change tires every season! Good lord, there would be some days we'd change between summer to winter tires three times in a day!! Today I literally drove down the county road in the rain while the pasture 10 feet away was sunny and clear!!

Kustom Koatingz in Voorhees, NJ. In the end, I think they used lumar, or luminar, or something like that? Ultimately, the installer matters 80% and the material matters 20%. My installer had access to all of the brands and chose the one he did based on his experience with using them all. I trust him completely. The stuff they used DOES seem clearer and more glossy than the suntek which was on my M3P.
I completely agree with you. I never bothered with PPF on my AMG, so I don't have much knowledge in the area. But the delivery delay has allowed me to become somewhat educated on the topic. I absolutely agree with the installer being most important. I'm meeting with A-Plus near me here in MD next week. I intend to have them walk me through everything from A to Z regarding their methodology and choice of products. I do like like that they use XPEL products as my research on that brand has been good thus far.

They also use Crystal Serum Light for ceramic coatings. Another well-received product based on my research. I also appreciated the fact they are appt only on Saturday's and happily answered my preliminary questions yesterday when I called them.

This is a sizable economic investment. We should be inquisitive and use our judgment to best determine whether a shop is worth getting our money.

That all said, I wouldn't hesitate to drive to NJ to use Kustom Koatingz if for some reason I'm not comfortable locally.

I completely agree with you. I never bothered with PPF on my AMG, so I don't have much knowledge in the area. But the delivery delay has allowed me to become somewhat educated on the topic. I absolutely agree with the installer being most important. I'm meeting with A-Plus near me here in MD next week. I intend to have them walk me through everything from A to Z regarding their methodology and choice of products. I do like like that they use XPEL products as my research on that brand has been good thus far.

They also use Crystal Serum Light for ceramic coatings. Another well-received product based on my research. I also appreciated the fact they are appt only on Saturday's and they answered and happily answered my preliminary questions yesterday when I called them.

This is a sizable economic investment. We should be inquisitive and use our judgment to best determine whether a shop is worth getting our money.

That all said, I wouldn't hesitate to drive to NJ to use Kustom Koatingz if for some reason I'm not comfortable locally.
The one thing I can say about XPEL products versus the others is that when placed side by side, XPEL seems to have more orange peel in the PPF itself. You are probably unlikely to notice if you weren't comparing side by side, but when compared directly it isn't subtle. That aside, it is a very well respected product.

PPF is very often done by using pre-printed patterns for a given car. This often/usually leads to visible seems around the edges of those patterns. They can be (and should be) enlarged by small percentages so that edges can actually be wrapped around panels, but many shops can't be bothered since this takes a whole lot more time. The *other* way PPF is done is in bulk. Not a pattern, just a huge sheet, applied and trimmed. When done this way, it can be made to be completely invisible, with all edges wrapped. Of course, this is where the installer matters. The place that did mine will do it either way. I opted for the "custom" install which basically allows them to take the car apart and individually wrap each panel (as much as possible, they don't go overboard). The price goes up since it takes so much more time, but the results are outstanding. My M3P was done by another shop with patterns, and I regretted it.

Remember paint correction isn't necessary if you're adding PPF. I definitely hear you about the car, though. 😂
Agree but my challenge is chances are higher it’ll need some correction if it takes a month to get an appointment because the edd’s can’t be predicted to align with an immediate ppf appointment.

Last edited:
The one thing I can say about XPEL products versus the others is that when placed side by side, XPEL seems to have more orange peel in the PPF itself. You are probably unlikely to notice if you weren't comparing side by side, but when compared directly it isn't subtle. That aside, it is a very well respected product.

PPF is very often done by using pre-printed patterns for a given car. This often/usually leads to visible seems around the edges of those patterns. They can be (and should be) enlarged by small percentages so that edges can actually be wrapped around panels, but many shops can't be bothered since this takes a whole lot more time. The *other* way PPF is done is in bulk. Not a pattern, just a huge sheet, applied and trimmed. When done this way, it can be made to be completely invisible, with all edges wrapped. Of course, this is where the installer matters. The place that did mine will do it either way. I opted for the "custom" install which basically allows them to take the car apart and individually wrap each panel (as much as possible, they don't go overboard). The price goes up since it takes so much more time, but the results are outstanding. My M3P was done by another shop with patterns, and I regretted it.
A-Plus has a machine to cut the patterns. I'll ask about the custom approach you mentioned. A full PPF with them starts at $6,000 on their site. I would hope at that price the result includes wrapped edges around a partial tear down and is invisible.

I’ve never had a car before that deserved any type of special treatment, but like you I’m planning to keep car for 10 years most likely. I am planning to do PPF and ceramic coat-ceramic pro silver+. I had originally planned to just do full front PPF, but after reading how there are no flaps and the chips we’ve seen on others cars, I’m really thinking about full PPF.

The place I plan to use has recommended a PPF with ceramic coat embedded in the urethane. Not sure if I should then also do ceramic on top or just stay with the PPF. Any thoughts?

I also plan to tint windows-Llumar F1 Pinnacle, 33%. And black out badges.
If the PPF comes inbuilt with a ceramic coating on top, then no need to get another coat. Check out Suntek Reaction or Stek dynoshield. Both are glossier than other films on the market.

Last edited:
I know I'll get my answer as soon as I see my car (Real Soon Now), but I'm really curious: is the refresh blue any different from the blue of all other Teslas from the past few years? Whenever I see a blue Tesla on the street it's a dark, somewhat boring (to me) shade. But some of these photos make it look a lot lighter than that; this one, for example, makes it look a lot closer to the World Rally Blue of my WRX that went off-lease in January. But is that just an artifact of the photos?
Here is a comparison of 2 2021 MSLR and LR+. The colors look the same between the refresh and the plus.
3157EDEB-446D-4E75-8690-0FA99486C8FD.jpeg
7E2DC146-F56E-44C4-8431-0E71BCCA01B8.jpeg

So you’re going with forceps over lobster forks?
These are the same wheels I'm getting but on @kgoroway 's blue MS Plaid; got mine to match the exact 21" oem Arachnid sizes and offsets. So, whatever you want to call them I guess. btw -- Brooks @ Dragtimes.com is now running his red MS Plaid on these exact wheels as well. Super aggressive and nice concave design...I think they look great on the MS Plaid, not to mention a 10lb unsprung weight reduction per wheel so 40lb total less! 🔥:cool:👍
Signature Monoblock SV104 pic1.jpeg

Signature Monoblock SV104 pic2.jpeg

Signature Monoblock SV104 pic3.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m confused as to how someone that is buying a $100k car, doesn’t have a few grand for wheels and tires to the point where their car would sit for four months? 😳. I’m all for spending money, but if I can’t get tires and spend freely on whatever I want, whenever I want, then I have no business buying a $100k car. Blows my mind. 🤦‍♂️

Joking right?

We may have to stage an intervention regarding living beyond ones means 😂
This is the kind of elitist crap that makes me not want to continue on these forums. It's a recurring theme here. People with enough disposable income to just pay with cash on a $100k+ car disapprovingly judging those who cannot do the same. I was not joking. I don't know if I can come up with another $6000+ between September and November. My credit is 802 and my unsecured debt is zero, so I could just throw it on a credit card but I won't. I have 4 vehicles at my disposal, so parking it for a few months is not a big deal. Granted, those other 4 vehicles combined are worth less than this purchase, but if I don't have the cash for the rims, I will wait.

I'm not living beyond my means. What I am doing is buying something I want for myself, for the first time in my life, and I have saved for several years to make it happen. I really want the Plaid, but I am a rational person who knows that would be a financial burden. A $100k loan payment is well outside my financial means, which is why I am putting down enough cash to make it a $55k loan, which is comfortably within my means.

This group here swings between "We should not complain about waiting because others have less" to "Dude you can't afford $7k rims? LOL."

Where do you draw the line? PPF can cost around $8k. If someone here says they can't afford that, I guess they are living beyond their means? What about those of us buying a LR because we can't afford the Plaid? Are we being foolish too? What about the MANY people here who have no business buying a 2 second vehicle, because we know they are too old or too timid to really appreciate it. Are they being foolish with their money as well?

I think I can afford a $100k car without living beyond by means, but I guess if I can't drop another $16k on PPF, ceramic coating, tint, brake repainting, and a second set of rims, I should just buy a modest Camry.

When I originally thought to but this car, it cost $70K. Then the refresh was announced and it went up by $12K. I re-evaluated my situation, and decided that is a bridge too far. SO I test drove the Model 3. I didn't like it. I then decided to drop the FSD, and save a bit more for the Model S. I ordered the vehicle with Tempest wheels, but I hated them. I realized it would bother me, so I switched to the Arachnids, and added more savings to the down payment. At that time, there was no mention of summer tires on anything.

This all happened before I had access to the owners manual, and knew about the summer tires. When I found out about the summer tires on the 21" I would have switched back, but by then it was a $500 increase in cost to go backwards, because of the price increase.

So here I am, with enough for a comfortable loan, and not enough for $6-7K to pay cash for rims. So I either cancel my order, or possibly park it for the winter. If I have to pay $7k for rims and tires, it will be parked. If I have better options by November, like a rim and tire package around $4k, I will drive it. Either way, I don't need anyone else applying their choices and judgements to my decisions.

These are the same wheels I'm getting but on @kgoroway 's blue MS Plaid and I believe his are 20"; got mine to match the exact 21" oem Arachnid sizes and offsets. So, whatever you want to call them I guess. btw -- Brooks @ Dragtimes.com is now running his red MS Plaid on these exact wheels as well. Super aggressive and nice concave design...I think they look great on the MS Plaid! 🔥:cool:👍 View attachment 697016
View attachment 697017
View attachment 697018
These are 21 inch.

This is the kind of elitist crap that makes me not want to continue on these forums. It's a recurring theme here. People with enough disposable income to just pay with cash on a $100k+ car disapprovingly judging those who cannot do the same. I was not joking. I don't know if I can come up with another $6000+ between September and November. My credit is 802 and my unsecured debt is zero, so I could just throw it on a credit card but I won't. I have 4 vehicles at my disposal, so parking it for a few months is not a big deal. Granted, those other 4 vehicles combined are worth less than this purchase, but if I don't have the cash for the rims, I will wait.

I'm not living beyond my means. What I am doing is buying something I want for myself, for the first time in my life, and I have saved for several years to make it happen. I really want the Plaid, but I am a rational person who knows that would be a financial burden. A $100k loan payment is well outside my financial means, which is why I am putting down enough cash to make it a $55k loan, which is comfortably within my means.

This group here swings between "We should not complain about waiting because others have less" to "Dude you can't afford $7k rims? LOL."

Where do you draw the line? PPF can cost around $8k. If someone here says they can't afford that, I guess they are living beyond their means? What about those of us buying a LR because we can't afford the Plaid? Are we being foolish too? What about the MANY people here who have no business buying a 2 second vehicle, because we know they are too old or too timid to really appreciate it. Are they being foolish with their money as well?

I think I can afford a $100k car without living beyond by means, but I guess if I can't drop another $16k on PPF, ceramic coating, tint, brake repainting, and a second set of rims, I should just buy a modest Camry.

When I originally thought to but this car, it cost $70K. Then the refresh was announced and it went up by $12K. I re-evaluated my situation, and decided that is a bridge too far. SO I test drove the Model 3. I didn't like it. I then decided to drop the FSD, and save a bit more for the Model S. I ordered the vehicle with Tempest wheels, but I hated them. I realized it would bother me, so I switched to the Arachnids, and added more savings to the down payment. At that time, there was no mention of summer tires on anything.

This all happened before I had access to the owners manual, and knew about the summer tires. When I found out about the summer tires on the 21" I would have switched back, but by then it was a $500 increase in cost to go backwards, because of the price increase.

So here I am, with enough for a comfortable loan, and not enough for $6-7K to pay cash for rims. So I either cancel my order, or possibly park it for the winter. If I have to pay $7k for rims and tires, it will be parked. If I have better options by November, like a rim and tire package around $4k, I will drive it. Either way, I don't need anyone else applying their choices and judgements to my decisions.
PREACH!!!!