Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I still feel like the capacitive buttons and lack of a horn on the center as the big misses, which I don't really see anyone praising.
Missing the horn during a panic reaction (expecting it to be in the middle of the wheel) is the one thing I'm really concerned about with that yoke...I know about the "mash the entire right hand side of the yoke" strategy, but if my hand is going instinctively to the center of the wheel I'll have to adjust. I guess that's where we rely on the autonomous driving protections to avoid needing to alert someone/something with the horn in the first place?

This is the kind of elitist crap that makes me not want to continue on these forums. It's a recurring theme here. People with enough disposable income to just pay with cash on a $100k+ car disapprovingly judging those who cannot do the same. I was not joking. I don't know if I can come up with another $6000+ between September and November. My credit is 802 and my unsecured debt is zero, so I could just throw it on a credit card but I won't. I have 4 vehicles at my disposal, so parking it for a few months is not a big deal. Granted, those other 4 vehicles combined are worth less than this purchase, but if I don't have the cash for the rims, I will wait.

I'm not living beyond my means. What I am doing is buying something I want for myself, for the first time in my life, and I have saved for several years to make it happen. I really want the Plaid, but I am a rational person who knows that would be a financial burden. A $100k loan payment is well outside my financial means, which is why I am putting down enough cash to make it a $55k loan, which is comfortably within my means.

This group here swings between "We should not complain about waiting because others have less" to "Dude you can't afford $7k rims? LOL."

Where do you draw the line? PPF can cost around $8k. If someone here says they can't afford that, I guess they are living beyond their means? What about those of us buying a LR because we can't afford the Plaid? Are we being foolish too? What about the MANY people here who have no business buying a 2 second vehicle, because we know they are too old or too timid to really appreciate it. Are they being foolish with their money as well?

I think I can afford a $100k car without living beyond by means, but I guess if I can't drop another $16k on PPF, ceramic coating, tint, brake repainting, and a second set of rims, I should just buy a modest Camry.

When I originally thought to but this car, it cost $70K. Then the refresh was announced and it went up by $12K. I re-evaluated my situation, and decided that is a bridge too far. SO I test drove the Model 3. I didn't like it. I then decided to drop the FSD, and save a bit more for the Model S. I ordered the vehicle with Tempest wheels, but I hated them. I realized it would bother me, so I switched to the Arachnids, and added more savings to the down payment. At that time, there was no mention of summer tires on anything.

This all happened before I had access to the owners manual, and knew about the summer tires. When I found out about the summer tires on the 21" I would have switched back, but by then it was a $500 increase in cost to go backwards, because of the price increase.

So here I am, with enough for a comfortable loan, and not enough for $6-7K to pay cash for rims. So I either cancel my order, or possibly park it for the winter. If I have to pay $7k for rims and tires, it will be parked. If I have better options by November, like a rim and tire package around $4k, I will drive it. Either way, I don't need anyone else applying their choices and judgements to my decisions.
Here to say that I am excited for you to get your car; I’m glad you’ve achieved a place in life where this is something you feel good about buying; and hope you get a ton of joy from it.

and generally speaking everyone on this forum should really take a moment from time to time and remind themselves they’re living their own one life and we are all very fortunate to be here instead of being a peasant in the Middle Ages or something. Spend your money the way you want and let others do the same…

Missing the horn during a panic reaction (expecting it to be in the middle of the wheel) is the one thing I'm really concerned about with that yoke...I know about the "mash the entire right hand side of the yoke" strategy, but if my hand is going instinctively to the center of the wheel I'll have to adjust. I guess that's where we rely on the autonomous driving protections to avoid needing to alert someone/something with the horn in the first place?
How do you guarantee road rage? Have someone cut you off, then as you attempt to smash the horn in anger, instead the wiper fluid sprays all over the car...

Also, I need to get something off my chest… I don’t like taking care of my car that much… some of y’all are putting these cars through college and stuff. I try to clean the bird poop off mine every few weeks. I appreciate you guys and your ridiculously nice looking cars but hope it’s okay to stay on here if I don’t Pay-Per-View my car…
I pay my local car wash 35 bucks a month so I have unlimited washes. I drive thru that thing whenever I'm home and I call it good!!

Since people are starting to take delivery of their 19 inch Plaids and Long Ranges, I figured I’d put out some feelers. If anyone is looking to sell their set of 19s, PM me. If you have one on order and want to sell when you take delivery, PM me as well. I am definitely looking to get a set for the northern winters. Thanks!

This is the kind of elitist crap that makes me not want to continue on these forums. It's a recurring theme here. People with enough disposable income to just pay with cash on a $100k+ car disapprovingly judging those who cannot do the same. I was not joking. I don't know if I can come up with another $6000+ between September and November. My credit is 802 and my unsecured debt is zero, so I could just throw it on a credit card but I won't. I have 4 vehicles at my disposal, so parking it for a few months is not a big deal. Granted, those other 4 vehicles combined are worth less than this purchase, but if I don't have the cash for the rims, I will wait.

I'm not living beyond my means. What I am doing is buying something I want for myself, for the first time in my life, and I have saved for several years to make it happen. I really want the Plaid, but I am a rational person who knows that would be a financial burden. A $100k loan payment is well outside my financial means, which is why I am putting down enough cash to make it a $55k loan, which is comfortably within my means.

This group here swings between "We should not complain about waiting because others have less" to "Dude you can't afford $7k rims? LOL."

Where do you draw the line? PPF can cost around $8k. If someone here says they can't afford that, I guess they are living beyond their means? What about those of us buying a LR because we can't afford the Plaid? Are we being foolish too? What about the MANY people here who have no business buying a 2 second vehicle, because we know they are too old or too timid to really appreciate it. Are they being foolish with their money as well?

I think I can afford a $100k car without living beyond by means, but I guess if I can't drop another $16k on PPF, ceramic coating, tint, brake repainting, and a second set of rims, I should just buy a modest Camry.

When I originally thought to but this car, it cost $70K. Then the refresh was announced and it went up by $12K. I re-evaluated my situation, and decided that is a bridge too far. SO I test drove the Model 3. I didn't like it. I then decided to drop the FSD, and save a bit more for the Model S. I ordered the vehicle with Tempest wheels, but I hated them. I realized it would bother me, so I switched to the Arachnids, and added more savings to the down payment. At that time, there was no mention of summer tires on anything.

This all happened before I had access to the owners manual, and knew about the summer tires. When I found out about the summer tires on the 21" I would have switched back, but by then it was a $500 increase in cost to go backwards, because of the price increase.

So here I am, with enough for a comfortable loan, and not enough for $6-7K to pay cash for rims. So I either cancel my order, or possibly park it for the winter. If I have to pay $7k for rims and tires, it will be parked. If I have better options by November, like a rim and tire package around $4k, I will drive it. Either way, I don't need anyone else applying their choices and judgements to my decisions.
Well said! You’re right and some of what I said crossed the line of arrogance. I recognize that and my apologies. Just because someone has money, doesn’t mean they can’t budget and spread out expenses. I totally get it.
Let’s blame my comments on frustration with waiting for our cars. It’s fun to be part of a series of cars that are the best around.
Heck, maybe I’d consider selling a body part for the new Tesla 😏. Cheers mate!

How do you guarantee road rage? Have someone cut you off, then as you attempt to smash the horn in anger, instead the wiper fluid sprays all over the car...
I have actually done exactly this. And I keep my cars clean, so the wipers or washers running pisses me right off. It didn’t lead to road rage though, but it did lead to a certain amount of sulking, I’m old and have a least a little self control now. The horn situation is not good.

Hey…as we all went from blank to getting our cars in the next couple months (with winter coming), what are ppf plans if at all? Front full package? Front half hood? Full car? Ppf and ceramic? Ceramic instead and only? Commando? Not asking to compare prices. I get the prices range all over the country from some k’s to lots of k’s.
Just asking for ppf plans is all, if any, to stay on topic point. If you’re planning on nothing, no need to pontificate why. Thanks. I keep wavering on nothing to full front and am thinking now full car for swirls, scratches etc. I don’t think it adds for resale. I’m getting black, plan on keeping for 10 years and am thinking going full, no ceramic or adding ceramic another time as it’s 1/8th the cost and serves a different purpose, and a discussion with my shop about bolstering rockers and splash guard areas now if possible while having them tint the windows too.
Here‘s an interesting video.
I'm thinking of doing a do-it-myself coat of ceramic to see how hard it is to do and whether it makes it wash off easier. Otherwise, commando!

I angrily wiped my windows at someone yesterday while reaching for the horn…I tried covering the whole side but then voice command came on. Still trying to build that quick reaction muscle memory.

I can’t remember the last time I touched my horn. It’s been freaking years. Just lucky I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️
We have same config and we‘re both east coast. Your RN is just ahead of mine. I mean, I’d understand the horn dilemma if you canceled the car. 😉

I'm thinking of doing a do-it-myself coat of ceramic to see how hard it is to do and whether it makes it wash off easier. Otherwise, commando!
It’s easy to do. Easier than waxing, actually.
1AF9F4CC-BADF-400F-8504-F52F1EB5A16F.jpeg

I can’t remember the last time I touched my horn. It’s been freaking years. Just lucky I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️
We have same config and we‘re both east coast. Your RN is just ahead of mine. I mean, I’d understand the horn dilemma if you canceled the car. 😉
Tell ya what...if I get my delivery before yours and find myself up your way (Boston, I think?) I'll swing by and let you try out the horn. ;)

Hey…as we all went from blank to getting our cars in the next couple months (with winter coming), what are ppf plans if at all? Front full package? Front half hood? Full car? Ppf and ceramic? Ceramic instead and only? Commando? Not asking to compare prices. I get the prices range all over the country from some k’s to lots of k’s.
Just asking for ppf plans is all, if any, to stay on topic point. If you’re planning on nothing, no need to pontificate why. Thanks. I keep wavering on nothing to full front and am thinking now full car for swirls, scratches etc. I don’t think it adds for resale. I’m getting black, plan on keeping for 10 years and am thinking going full, no ceramic or adding ceramic another time as it’s 1/8th the cost and serves a different purpose, and a discussion with my shop about bolstering rockers and splash guard areas now if possible while having them tint the windows too.
Here‘s an interesting video.

I did PPF on the front only. Doing a ceramic finish on the rest of the car by my detail guy. That will be twice a year maintenance. I got like 28% tint in all windows and like 70 on the windshield. Pics coming when there is a nice day without rain!

Picked up plaid Friday afternoon and drove the car pretty hard all weekend around the Chicago suburbs and overall pretty impressed. Pics below, but first quick review….

Positives: - A true family sedan that can burn anything, anywhere at any time. The acceleration is absolutely phenomenal. No other way to say it. Absolutely embarrassed by buddy off the line who was in his p100d. Found yoke very easy to get used to (I did watch a lot of YouTube views in preparation) but no challenges. Autopilot and specifically auto-steer are absolutely phenomenal. As a first time Tesla buyer it really beat my expectations and clearly showcases how far ahead Tesla is from all others in computer vision/AI/driverless tech. Was worried the cream interior would feel a bit old/dated, but adds a nice luxurious feel and the contemporary interior keeps it feeling modern and sporty. Bit fan of how open/wide the driver and passenger seats are. The old Model S’s felt tight on the inside to me, no longer a concern.

Disappointments: The sound system does not impress. I am coming from a 2018 Range Rover sport with Meridian and this sound system simply doesn’t compare in any way. Audio hardware is nearly commoditized and there is no excuse to sacrifice on audio/speaker quality for a car near $100k. Next, the rear seats have ZERO recline? I undersand if they would offer limited…. But ZERO? Paint is INCREDIBLY soft. I have 150 miles, already noticing chips. I’m primarily disappointed by the suspension and sound systems for something in the 150k range.

Now the fun part, pictures

Attachments

• B8071FB0-AE48-4F81-930C-EFA9F0DCD574.jpeg
    B8071FB0-AE48-4F81-930C-EFA9F0DCD574.jpeg
    836.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 7625F210-1385-457C-A553-D41F6B23ACC7.jpeg
    7625F210-1385-457C-A553-D41F6B23ACC7.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 6EB7670E-09AB-4571-AB95-E1048E500375.jpeg
    6EB7670E-09AB-4571-AB95-E1048E500375.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 8E6EDF29-D185-4B82-8615-86DA2BF8D972.jpeg
    8E6EDF29-D185-4B82-8615-86DA2BF8D972.jpeg
    721.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 6396DE8A-50EE-4DAA-BECC-99942BC50E68.jpeg
    6396DE8A-50EE-4DAA-BECC-99942BC50E68.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 59
  • C63E2784-8D12-4C00-A9ED-B2015A6BB4C5.jpeg
    C63E2784-8D12-4C00-A9ED-B2015A6BB4C5.jpeg
    647.1 KB · Views: 63

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Picked up plaid Friday afternoon and drove the car pretty hard all weekend around the Chicago suburbs and overall pretty impressed. Pics below, but first quick review….

Positives: - A true family sedan that can burn anything, anywhere at any time. The acceleration is absolutely phenomenal. No other way to say it. Absolutely embarrassed by buddy off the line who was in his p100d. Found yoke very easy to get used to (I did watch a lot of YouTube views in preparation) but no challenges. Autopilot and specifically auto-steer are absolutely phenomenal. As a first time Tesla buyer it really beat my expectations and clearly showcases how far ahead Tesla is from all others in computer vision/AI/driverless tech. Was worried the cream interior would feel a bit old/dated, but adds a nice luxurious feel and the contemporary interior keeps it feeling modern and sporty. Bit fan of how open/wide the driver and passenger seats are. The old Model S’s felt tight on the inside to me, no longer a concern.

Disappointments: The sound system does not impress. I am coming from a 2018 Range Rover sport with Meridian and this sound system simply doesn’t compare in any way. Audio hardware is nearly commoditized and there is no excuse to sacrifice on audio/speaker quality for a car near $100k. Next, the rear seats have ZERO recline? I undersand if they would offer limited…. But ZERO? Paint is INCREDIBLY soft. I have 150 miles, already noticing chips. I’m primarily disappointed by the suspension and sound systems for something in the 150k range.

Now the fun part, pictures
Given how soft the paint is, do you think ponying up the cash for paint protection film is worth it?

Given how soft the paint is, do you think ponying up the cash for paint protection film is worth it?
As someone who has driven numerous Teslas, it's a big yes from me. Paint is just too soft for my taking. But to each their own.

My Plaid is going straight from the Service Center to my local detailer for a full body wrap when I pick it up in a few days.

I agree with this although someone else's poor financial decisions to live beyond their means certainly isn't anyone else's business. However, if he were my kid, I would probably make his life quite painful for making some very stupid decisions with his money, lol. I would say there are other cars out there for you, son...and if you want an EV and a Tesla, there's the Tesla M3 or what about the VW ID.4? Much more practical, decent 260mi. max battery range and doesn't cost $100k+.
What the hell is a VW ID4???