Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who has driven numerous Teslas, it's a big yes from me. Paint is just too soft for my taking. But to each their own.

My Plaid is going straight from the Service Center to my local detailer for a full body wrap when I pick it up in a few days.
That sounds like a pretty decent idea. I've also been looking at the XPEL Stealth PPF and thinking it would be a really good look as well as do a fairly good job of keeping the original paint in good condition.

I've never done anything like that before, so I'm not sure how much that kind of thing would cost. Assuming I did the whole car, do you have a ballpark idea as to what that kind of thing costs?

Reactions: impastu and Drew-MS
That sounds like a pretty decent idea. I've also been looking at the XPEL Stealth PPF and thinking it would be a really good look as well as do a fairly good job of keeping the original paint in good condition.

I've never done anything like that before, so I'm not sure how much that kind of thing would cost. Assuming I did the whole car, do you have a ballpark idea as to what that kind of thing costs?
Price depends on the location. Ball park would be anywhere between 5.5k to 8k for the entire car.

I can’t remember the last time I touched my horn. It’s been freaking years. Just lucky I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️
We have same config and we‘re both east coast. Your RN is just ahead of mine. I mean, I’d understand the horn dilemma if you canceled the car. 😉
Come to L.A. for 10 minutes and you'll fall in love with your horn all over again. 😵‍💫

Like others have posted here, price varies on your geo, but assume somewhere between $6k-$9k (e.g. I hear OCDetailing in CA charges on the high end of that spectrum).

After wrapping a few of my cars, I've learned that before price and brand of PPF considerations, is the expertise and care of the installer doing the work. That is the most important deciding factor, above all. After checking out reviews of your local detailers, I would drive around or call those that appear to be high caliber, and ask probing questions to see how they approach doing wraps. I think you will soon find after speaking with a few of them, you'll be able to discern who are the "fast & quick" and those who lean more to an attention to detail.

Also, some consumers are obviously eager to get their car quickly back. Fair to assume a full week to do a full body wrap, full tint, and ceramic coating.

Picked up plaid Friday afternoon and drove the car pretty hard all weekend around the Chicago suburbs and overall pretty impressed. Pics below, but first quick review….

Positives: - A true family sedan that can burn anything, anywhere at any time. The acceleration is absolutely phenomenal. No other way to say it. Absolutely embarrassed by buddy off the line who was in his p100d. Found yoke very easy to get used to (I did watch a lot of YouTube views in preparation) but no challenges. Autopilot and specifically auto-steer are absolutely phenomenal. As a first time Tesla buyer it really beat my expectations and clearly showcases how far ahead Tesla is from all others in computer vision/AI/driverless tech. Was worried the cream interior would feel a bit old/dated, but adds a nice luxurious feel and the contemporary interior keeps it feeling modern and sporty. Bit fan of how open/wide the driver and passenger seats are. The old Model S’s felt tight on the inside to me, no longer a concern.

Disappointments: The sound system does not impress. I am coming from a 2018 Range Rover sport with Meridian and this sound system simply doesn’t compare in any way. Audio hardware is nearly commoditized and there is no excuse to sacrifice on audio/speaker quality for a car near $100k. Next, the rear seats have ZERO recline? I undersand if they would offer limited…. But ZERO? Paint is INCREDIBLY soft. I have 150 miles, already noticing chips. I’m primarily disappointed by the suspension and sound systems for something in the 150k range.

Now the fun part, pictures
Enjoy your new car and drive it in good health! Thank you for posting the photos!

I think the "soft paint" issue was directly addressed by Elon several years ago.
IIRC Elon was surprised by the subject and commented that the paint was a standard product - not
"softer" than industry standards.

Perhaps someone here can dig it up in old posts - 2015 maybe? I couldn't find it.
Irrespective of what Elon claims about his cars not being soft, I've heard countless independent body shops and independent pro detailers talk consistently about the issues they see first hand with Tesla paint. If it was just one or two complaining, I'd be more doubtful. But man oh man, it is such a consistent theme I keep hearing from those I speak with. Not to mention the wear & tear I see myself on my cars.

o_Oo_Oo_O well then! I guess the beauty of ever shifting delivery estimates is more time to save up for the PPF...
This is my first car to get a PPF. For other cars, its always been remorse after seeing rock chips on the hood. For my MS, I decided to get full frontal PPF and was reasonably happy with the choice until I found out the hard way that the front is not the most impacted area 😭
The rear panel and the rocker panel is getting hammered with chips coming from the front tire due to the wide body nature of the rear section, which is sticking out to take all the heat. I don't think a PPF will hold up in that section long term and installing mud flaps will mitigate the problem to a large degree.

Like others have posted here, price varies on your geo, but assume somewhere between $6k-$9k (e.g. I hear OCDetailing in CA charges on the high end of that spectrum).

After wrapping a few of my cars, I've learned that before price and brand of PPF considerations, is the expertise and care of the installer doing the work. That is the most important deciding factor, above all. After checking out reviews of your local detailers, I would drive around or call those that appear to be high caliber, and ask probing questions to see how they approach doing wraps. I think you will soon find after speaking with a few of them, you'll be able to discern who are the "fast & quick" and those who lean more to an attention to detail.

Also, some consumers are obviously eager to get their car quickly back. Fair to assume a full week to do a full body wrap, full tint, and ceramic coating.
Super helpful response here. Having driven beaters all my life I feel like I need a crash course in protecting and maintaining cars now that I'm actually about to own a car worth protecting and maintaining.

Also, I need to get something off my chest… I don’t like taking care of my car that much… some of y’all are putting these cars through college and stuff. I try to clean the bird poop off mine every few weeks. I appreciate you guys and your ridiculously nice looking cars but hope it’s okay to stay on here if I don’t Pay-Per-View my car…
Are you me?
Agree with you on some people treating their cars as their first born but hey, to each his own.

Super helpful response here. Having driven beaters all my life I feel like I need a crash course in protecting and maintaining cars now that I'm actually about to own a car worth protecting and maintaining.
Thanks.

If you care about protecting your car, the most common tip I tend to hear from professional detailers: avoid automatic car washes like the plague. For some perspective, watch this pro detailer take his brand new Tesla thru a local car wash. Ouch!