Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early morning newsflash! Tesla makes an aggressive move in the poker match:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 9-29
RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 22-30

Will Tesla show its cards and give the later order a VIN?
Will MarcG call Tesla’s bluff and expect the dates to swing massively again tomorrow?

Stay tuned to find out! :)
Quick update from today (and summary of the week) before I call it a night:

RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 10-30

So back to the original dates from early last week (again).
Summary of the week:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020
8/10/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/11/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/12/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/13/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/14/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/15/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29

RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021
8/10/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30
8/11/2021 - EDD: Sep 13-30
8/12/2021 - EDD: Sep 19-30
8/13/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30
8/14/2021 - EDD: Sep 22-30
8/15/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30

Interesting how the original order has stuck to the same date range all week, while the more recent order has been bouncing around.

Not sure what to make of this.. probably means absolutely nothing. But it keeps me {and hopefully, you!) entertained :)

I think the extent a person wants to protect/maintain one's car is like paint colors... it is totally a matter of personal preference. Where one person sees micro-scratches as a total non-issue, another person may see it as blasphemy on a six-figure car. To each their own.

I just know after 100k miles on my existing Model S, I want a full wrap on my next one. 👍
You mean swirls :) once you start to notice them on your paint you’re done for!
I know, I have 6 swirls on my soon to be 7 year old S 😑

This will be our 5th Tesla and will also be the 5th time to do full PPF. 3 of our last 4 also had ceramic coating and I didn’t do that to our 2019 Raven Refresh S.

Sold it pretty quick but we will certainly do both to our Refresh S.

Ceramic coating is definitely worthwhile but 2nd to PPF.
I'm seeking advice from the community, especially from experienced folks such as @boonedocks @jebinc @sflgator @kgoroway. I'm very interested in applying the ceramic polish and bedmaker treatment of the full body every few months because I will treat my plaid like my 4th child. But also concerned about chip accumulation, which the ceramic polish won't resist. PPF appears a compelling option, but is there a benefit to completing a ceramic polish coat series ahead of PPF? Does PPF bead water like wax? What are the proper clean and care procedures for PPF? I will ask my local PPF shop, which is said by my BMW tuner to do very high quality work, but I'd like some intel from the community for comparison. Thanks in advance

Also, I need to get something off my chest… I don’t like taking care of my car that much… some of y’all are putting these cars through college and stuff. I try to clean the bird poop off mine every few weeks. I appreciate you guys and your ridiculously nice looking cars but hope it’s okay to stay on here if I don’t Pay-Per-View my car…
Listen, I get my car cleaned mainly by going to the service center... or at least I used to back when they washed your car for you after a service. Nowadays, I mostly just say, “Actually, no, it‘s black not grey” a lot.

On the upside it is always a stunning surprise when I do get it cleaned (or my wife gets tired of it and gets it cleaned) and I see my car in its shiny black glory.

Disclaimer that everyone is entitled to their opinion so just sharing mine here... Having the MS for the last few days with the yoke.. I am actually liking it better than a steering wheel. My arms and hands are more rested as the bottom loops gives a good place to rest my arms while driving. In a standard steering wheel having a more circular shape, I couldn't rest my arms during driving. Had to support it either on the center console or left door trim which are not at good height.

Turning has become also a lot easier as well since hands don't have to swivel as much when you "push" down for left or right turns. Like I said before, just sharing my experience so far which has been much pleasant. Oh and how sweet is it to have all that power to go along with comfort.

With the new cabin and seats, it's an amazing feeling to have when you can experience a true luxury and comfortable sedan with almost no outside noise, and switch it to be the fastest car on the planet at a moments notice. Which other vehicle can be used in a similar context...
ding
ding
ding
ding (4 right?)

We have our first convert. I'm leaning that way.

I think the "soft paint" issue was directly addressed by Elon several years ago.
IIRC Elon was surprised by the subject and commented that the paint was a standard product - not
"softer" than industry standards.

Perhaps someone here can dig it up in old posts - 2015 maybe? I couldn't find it.
I think some still use the “Tesla paint is soft” excuse to justify $7k for PPF.

I would go no PPF and if necessary, spend $5k on a total paint respray of the car in ten years.

Last edited:
I'm seeking advice from the community, especially from experienced folks such as @boonedocks @jebinc @sflgator @kgoroway. I'm very interested in applying the ceramic polish and bedmaker treatment of the full body every few months because I will treat my plaid like my 4th child. But also concerned about chip accumulation, which the ceramic polish won't resist. PPF appears a compelling option, but is there a benefit to completing a ceramic polish coat series ahead of PPF? Does PPF bead water like wax? What are the proper clean and care procedures for PPF? I will ask my local PPF shop, which is said by my BMW tuner to do very high quality work, but I'd like some intel from the community for comparison. Thanks in advance
You won’t be able to apply PPF after you ceramic coat. The film won’t stick to the surface well. The PPF installer will strip the coating off the car before applying PPF. Most add ceramic after PPF has been installed.

That sounds like a pretty decent idea. I've also been looking at the XPEL Stealth PPF and thinking it would be a really good look as well as do a fairly good job of keeping the original paint in good condition.

I've never done anything like that before, so I'm not sure how much that kind of thing would cost. Assuming I did the whole car, do you have a ballpark idea as to what that kind of thing costs?
I've seen comments in the $6-8k range. Local quote in NY of $6,500 for full PPF

You won’t be able to apply PPF after you ceramic coat. The film won’t stick to the surface well. The PPF installer will strip the coating off the car before applying PPF. Most add ceramic after PPF has been installed.
ok. thank you. was curious if the PPF will allow the ceramic and beadmaker applications without damaging the PPF.

You PPF first then ceramic. You'd lose all the properties of the ceramic coating if you PPF over it. Likely they'd have to remove the ceramic for adherence of the PPF. PPF isn't hydrophobic like the ceramic either, so it doesn't quite act like wax.

Quick update from today (and summary of the week) before I call it a night:

RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 10-30

So back to the original dates from early last week (again).
Summary of the week:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020
8/10/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/11/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/12/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/13/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/14/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29
8/15/2021 - EDD: Sep 9-29

RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021
8/10/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30
8/11/2021 - EDD: Sep 13-30
8/12/2021 - EDD: Sep 19-30
8/13/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30
8/14/2021 - EDD: Sep 22-30
8/15/2021 - EDD: Sep 10-30

Interesting how the original order has stuck to the same date range all week, while the more recent order has been bouncing around.

Not sure what to make of this.. probably means absolutely nothing. But it keeps me {and hopefully, you!) entertained :)
My EDD window keeps shifting each day to stay 2 weeks out, but very encouragingly the far end of it has continued to tighten up! It's almost down to the magical 7 day window where a VIN might even show up!

I tried Sport but there was not enough muchness when I used the right pedal. Soooo, back to ankle workout.
One would think that there would be a progression of speed modes? When insane mode was implemented, it was chill, sport and insane. When ludicrous mode was implemented, it was chill, sport, insane and ludicrous. Why not chill, sport, insane, ludicrous and then plaid?