Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t know how you’re figuring that. On the refresh, only the Plaid gets carbon and it’s no cost option.
First, I'm talking primarily for the LR. Well, yes, sort of when you get to it for the Plaid - of course, you spent a whole heap of a lot more money over the LR so it gets incorporated into the price and it's buried unless you see a line item on the cost (I didn't see it on the Monroney sticker). I looked it up for mine - I guess it was a bargain as it was only $350 ($CDN) on a non-performance model for the CF upgrade. It's somewhere around $1300 roughly to buy the parts outright according to what I see, which is again a huge difference from the aftermarket for CF from someplace like TSportline that's selling it $2500 on the old S.

For those considering getting an earlier vehicle rather than later it's a question of whether it's worth it to get the wood trim and upgrading it later at their own cost. With no predictable timeline as to when CF will be delivered, it's a personal choice but understandable. Would you wait indefinitely for something that was expected to be delivered from the get-go, or bite the cost of changing it when it becomes available as parts? That's the buyer's decision.

First, I'm talking primarily for the LR. Well, yes, sort of when you get to it for the Plaid - of course, you spent a whole heap of a lot more money over the LR so it gets incorporated into the price and it's buried unless you see a line item on the cost (I didn't see it on the Monroney sticker). I looked it up for mine - I guess it was a bargain as it was only $350 ($CDN) on a non-performance model for the CF upgrade. It's somewhere around $1300 roughly to buy the parts outright according to what I see, which is again a huge difference from the aftermarket for CF from someplace like TSportline that's selling it $2500 on the old S.

For those considering getting an earlier vehicle rather than later it's a question of whether it's worth it to get the wood trim and upgrading it later at their own cost. With no predictable timeline as to when CF will be delivered, it's a personal choice but understandable. Would you wait indefinitely for something that was expected to be delivered from the get-go, or bite the cost of changing it when it becomes available as parts? That's the buyer's decision.
You appear to be discussing the 2012-2020 pre-refresh Model S. CF is not an option that you can purchase up front for any cost on the LR. It's only available on the Plaid where there is no price difference.

Reactions: impastu
Regarding PPF

We paint things to protect the underlying surface. Wood homes get paint (or varnish), metal cars to protect it from oxidation.

We apply a clear layer of paint, a clear coat to protect the paint.

We apply a soft layer of plastic to protect a supposedly soft layer of paint.

A layer of salt (ceramic coating) is applied to help protect the plastic.

We will then still apply a layer of wax not to mention wash off the vehicle as well.

At some point, you’d have to wonder what you are trying to protect when the underlying material isn’t steel prone to oxidize but aluminum which can be polished on its own.

That's me and I've seen Model S's showing up at my SC...just not mine.
I got a VIN hours after ordering (no hate please) and have been calling daily to see when it is in transit since LA to Scottsdale is basically same day. They told me last week that it was so I let my LR+ go to CarBuyerUSA instead of selling it retail. I assumed I could go a day without a car. It was not actually in transit and they heard about that. Yesterday I got someone who said she would send a message to logistics to see if that would help get it moving. Today it shows as left the factory and on its way. YMMV

That's me and I've seen Model S's showing up at my SC...just not mine.
Apparently (according to the news) there is a shortage of truck drivers in the US. Especially truck drivers with the appropriate license to transport hazardous materials such as gasoline.

The rail yard by Fremont used to be a major transport hub “back in the day” but most vehicles that I’ve seen leave the Fremont facility go by truck. The trains may be heading to the ports such as Alameda.

Makes me wonder if transport is a major factor in terms of the delays.

Interesting, I was today years old when I learned that Plaid was software locked to 1020.
Maybe obvious to some but certainly not everybody. According to Tesla engineer comments the Plaid has over 1200hp from the motors. It makes sense when you see the super consistent times where SOC has little effect. And of course it creates another way for us to pay more for the car in the future.

You appear to be discussing the 2012-2020 pre-refresh Model S. CF is not an option that you can purchase up front for any cost on the LR. It's only available on the Plaid where there is no price difference.
Then re-read my original post as that is exactly what I had said. I had indicated that previously CF was an option that Tesla took away some point after my S in 2017. I was wrong in terms of the parts costing less than as an option, but correct in that it was previously offered on the long range. If Tesla makes the parts available it appears to be a cheaper route than aftermarket. No, it's not cheaper for those who have bought a Plaid but waiting indefinitely for the CF to be consistently offered might sway people to get the wood trim and upgrade it later. Again, that's a buyer's choice given that Tesla is essentially failing to deliver on configs that people have requested and that Tesla has offered.

Regarding PPF

We paint things to protect the underlying surface. Wood homes get paint (or varnish), metal cars to protect it from oxidation.

We will then still apply a layer of wax not to mention wash off the vehicle as well.

At some point, you’d have to wonder what you are trying to protect when the underlying material isn’t steel prone to oxidize but aluminum which can be polished on its own.
@Merle No, not wax on top of the ceramic coat, but rather BeadMaker! 😆

Attachments

• A3EA15EA-FEF3-456D-A52A-D813036E71B7.png
    A3EA15EA-FEF3-456D-A52A-D813036E71B7.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 81
Regarding PPF

Sure, but you're mixing the term protection with preserving pristine appearance. For people who want their car to look like a flawless piece of art, all of this is important. If your intent is to protect the cars ability to transport you from point A to B, none of it is necessary. Most of us are on the spectrum in between.

Minor update to my RN1145 Plaid reservation, Red, White interior, CF trim, no FSD, 21” Arachnids.

- No EDD for months.
- Got EDD last week like everyone else after apology email, EDD was 9/22-9/30.
- 8/17: 9/21-9/30

At least it’s in the right direction. Will be picking up in California, so makes sense with end of quarter deliveries that happen on the West Coast.

Then re-read my original post as that is exactly what I had said. I had indicated that previously CF was an option that Tesla took away some point after my S in 2017. I was wrong in terms of the parts costing less than as an option, but correct in that it was previously offered on the long range. If Tesla makes the parts available it appears to be a cheaper route than aftermarket. No, it's not cheaper for those who have bought a Plaid but waiting indefinitely for the CF to be consistently offered might sway people to get the wood trim and upgrade it later. Again, that's a buyer's choice given that Tesla is essentially failing to deliver on configs that people have requested and that Tesla has offered.
Look, your first post was a mess and mixture of models, options, pricing, and years. I pointed that out. Thank you for trying to clarify your position I guess?