Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just go get interior wrapped in CF if it kills you to have wood. Like we all used to do. Wood is so last summer! DON'T change your config or you'll go to the end of the line and have a price increase too.
Ok, just saying btw @ICUdoc30, that if you really like the look of the CF (and especially the type Tesla uses), a wrap will not replace the look. No matter how good the 3d printing, and especially with the texture of wood that Tesla uses, a wrap not only won't replace the look of CF, but it may look worse, because the the "CF" has a wood grain look to it. @TorqueMonster was having the same issue of deciding between the wood or the CF a while ago, and I mentioned this to him as well. Now having felt the wood in real life, there is no way a CF wrap would work. Hope this helps.🙂

@impastu While I’m known for suggesting a lot of things, this was not one of them! :D
Apologies! But whoever made the suggestion, maybe @sflgator ?, I took the advice so will offer the links here...

So I just spoke to someone at the Tesla sales. They see my "Sep 9/10/11 to Sep 29/30" orders in their internal systems as October, and the Aug 21 (today!) to Sep 1st order as September.

These dates apparently "come directly from the factory", so I expect massive delays again :rolleyes:

The rep clearly said not to trust the dates shown in our accounts. And yes, carbon fiber is the main reason for the delay of my 3 orders that have it.
I had a similar experience. I stopped by the showroom yesterday, I mentioned my dashboard is showing Sept 17-30. The SA offered to check his internal system and it apparently indicates October.

Apologies! But whoever made the suggestion, maybe @sflgator ?, I took the advice so will offer the links here...
Wasn't me but it looks decent. I'm just having my local detail shop do a chrome delete of the 2 Tesla emblems + PLAID emblem in a glossy black vinyl wrap. He said it should last many years without any issue and can easily be redone if needed. I like the CF emblems though. They look cool. 👍 :cool:

Reactions: LucaRiv and impastu
Has anyone tested the glass on their cars using a meter at the shop before getting tinted? Supposedly Tesla added IR and UV protection on all the factory glass.
Tesla has added IR and UV blocking to the SUNROOFs of their vehicles. They have not done anything new to the side/door glass, windshields, or rear windows.

Okay, so here are my first impressions and experiences with my delivery. I know a lot of what I am about to say will sound negative. This is only because I want to be honest about the good and the bad. Overall, today was an amazing experience and I am still smiling uncontrollably.

If you are just skimming this, I'm going to walk through the delivery experience at Tesla of Warwick, to include my inspection. then my experience driving, and finally things I like and don't like about the car.

First off, I was very underwhelmed with the delivery experience. We waited in the showroom, which had just one Model Y, for at least 15 minutes, with just one other customer, before someone acknowledged us. No one knew why we were there. They made a few guesses. Service? Test Drive? I told them I had a three O'clock appointment. They asked for my name and then disappeared into the back. Apparently when I made the appointment, no one at the Warwick center followed through.

I was supposed to bring a blank check for the DMV, but no one told me this. It was explained that the DMV arbitrarily assigns fees based on GVW, and their numbers never match Tesla's, so they need a check the DMV can fill in for me. This sounded fishy, but they assured me the fees would be somewhere between $50-100, and this was the only way they could process the registration for me. They offered to send me a pre-paid Fedex envelope, so I could give them the check later, and we moved on.

I was hoping to inspect the vehicle before payment, but there didn't seem to be a formal process, and they asked for the checks first while I filled out DMV papers and registration info. I ended paying and then inspecting. When they brought my car out of the service building, I was expecting them to at least "present" the car by pulling it up out front, or somehow displaying the vehicle. After all, I just handed them a check for $94K. They parked it in a normal parking spot, between two used Model 3's. Maybe some of you wouldn't care, but it's the little touches that make things better, and they didn't bother.

I asked if I could move the car before inspecting it, to avoid bumping into other vehicles. They didn't offer to do that for me, so I drove out to an open area and began my inspection. I found several things wrong. Most of them because of what I have learned here.

My wife and I had a hard time hiding our smiles as we walked around the vehicle, but with checklists in hand, we took this part seriously and gave everything a hard look.

Here we go:
The passenger side brake light housing had a crack. It looked like something pressed it hard enough to splinter the plastic. The SA was visibly frustrated by this, and apologized. He was angry that this was not caught by the inspection team.View attachment 699347

The Frunk lid had misaligned rubber on the passenger side, and the driver side fender had a panel gap.View attachment 699348
View attachment 699349
View attachment 699350
The passenger side door seal had a raised area where it turns at the corner. This personally didn't bother me, so I opted to not photograph it or request it to be fixed.

The SA told me both key FOB's are in the center console, but they were not in the car. They placed them on order.

After the items were listed and documented, two SA's spent the next 45 minutes just talking with me about Tesla and related things. They were extremely friendly and passionate about what they do. I have to believe my experience would have been a lot better if their marching orders were geared more towards my positive experience, and not just getting through the necessary processes.

We said our goodbyes, left my wife's car at the SC, and hopped in the Tesla. After about 5 minutes of setting up my mirrors seat etc., we took off for dinner. I spent most of dinner staring out the window, daring anyone to park next to me. 😂 We agreed to drive around together for a bit, so she can navigate and help figure out settings. We didn't want me fumbling through things for the first time on a 45 minute drive.

When we got back in the vehicle, I noticed they set it to chill and cruise modes. I switched them to the most aggressive settings without my wife noticing. As we pulled onto the highway, I punched it from a rolling start of around 15 MPH. My wife screamed OHHhhHHHH SHIIIIIT!!!!! and my daughter just giggled maniacally. I felt a rush like nothing I have ever experienced. The power, combined with the nervousness of driving a brand new car, made me light headed and dizzy, as I pulled it to 80 MPH in what seemed like an instant.

A few moments later, we were at the front at a red light. I looked at my wife and said "Are you ready?". My daughter started giggling again and screamed "THIS CAR IS AWESOME!". I hit the accelerator, they both screamed, and before I was ready to I had to slow down again. My wife looked at me and said "This car is amazing".

Now we are on our way home. My daughter is riding with me, but she opted to sit in the back to watch Netflix, and I am following my wife in her SUV. After about 15 minutes, I was getting the itch so I punched it at 50 and flew past my wife. I applied the brakes and pulled up beside her. To my surprise, she held up her hand and signed THREE TWO ONE, so I hit it again. 😍😍😍 The whole drive home was amazing.

After we got home, I took a few photos, we ditched the SUV, and then went out for more driving. I let my wife drive for a bit. She was incredibly nervous, doing 5 miles under the speed limit for a bit before getting comfortable. I told her I wanted her to feel the acceleration, but not on surface streets. We headed to the freeway, and when it was clear she punched it from about 40 MPH. I said "babe, the speed comes up fast 80, 90, 100, 110 BABE!" She tapped the brakes and said "MY GOD! This car is FUN!"

Now for a few observations from driving:

My rear window has that distortion on the bottom, but the only time I noticed it was when I was looking for it. I used the camera exclusively while driving. The rear view mirror could be removed as far as I am concerned.

My yoke has that sliding noise from the material rubbing against each other. I only noticed it because others here pointed it out. I'll request service, but if they say they can't fix it I truly don't care.

The yoke blocks my left side view camera and that made changing lanes a bit sketchy. I know eventually the software will allow me to move it to the other side of the screen, but I think right now I have no way to reposition it.

A lot of what I call "Nanny State" tech was annoying. Some of this may be correctable once I find the options:

I don't like how it turns down volume when I am backing up. Why do my eyes need to hear better going in reverse? Also, I have a 150' driveway, and when backing down the driveway I prefer to use the side mirrors to safely navigate. The mirrors tilt down in reverse, rendering them useless every time I leave my house.

Currently, you can't stream video to the main screen while driving. This one particularly bothers me. You have sensors to tell my passenger to put on their seatbelt, but you don't think maybe that passenger would like to watch a video? Which leads to the seat belt sensor. My daughter kept making a seatbelt warning pop up on my driver display every time she leaned on another seat with her hand. If the doors are closed, and the car is moving, how did we add another passenger Tesla? That one is just poor programming on their part.

A funny one is the speed limit sign on the driver display. It was displayed the whole time I was driving. I figured "Cool feature identifying Speed limit signs". When my wife was driving under the speed limit, that's when I realized it only pops up when you are speeding. Woops. 😂:cool:

My first impressions of the yoke are simple. It really adds to the experience with the driver display. It feels nice and open. I prefer it to a wheel for most driving, which would be highways and daily commuting, but I think it is inferior to a wheel for parking lots and race tracks. If I was offered the chance to take it on a track like Laguna Seca, I think the Yoke would be a liability. Sure it would work, but not as well as a wheel.

For my driving, the yoke is great. I'm a gamer, and it feels like a game controller, so I was right at home. The blinkers were not hard to find, but turning them back off was clumsy. I drove mostly with my left hand holding the top outer edge of the yoke. It was comfortable. I wish the yoke had a tilt, but I'll adjust to it as is just fine.

I was disappointed to come home tonight. The car is just so much fun to drive. I might have to ask my insurance company how many speeding tickets I can get before they cancel me. I am supposed to drop it off for ceramic and tint, but I don't want to let it go. 🤪

And the final thing I have to say. Everyone else was right. Once you get your car, the wait gets erased from your memory. I am absolutely in love with my new toy. I know I have a few service visits in my future, for the things I identified, but that's nothing compared to how much fun I plan to have. Monday can't come soon enough. I have to show this thing off at work, and take a few people for some launches. :cool:
View attachment 699351View attachment 699352View attachment 699353View attachment 699354
[/.

“I wish the yoke had a tilt, but I'll adjust to it as is just fine.”

See page 49 of the owner’s manual. It details how to adjust the tilt.

“I wish the yoke had a tilt, but I'll adjust to it as is just fine.”

See page 49 of the owner’s manual. It details how to adjust the tilt.
Page 49 only talks about the horn. I couldn't find any way to adjust tilt. Just up and down and in and out.

1629570928942.png

Page 49 only talks about the horn. I couldn't find any way to adjust tilt. Just up and down and in and out.

View attachment 699585
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 1.40.22 PM.png

It is interesting that it talks about "tilt", never thought the angle of the yoke actually changes. I would be curious for someone to measure the tilt at the lowest and highest point of this setting to see if actually changes the tilt angle.

PS it is page 47.

View attachment 699587

It is interesting that it talks about "tilt", never thought the angle of the yoke actually changes. I would be curious for someone to measure the tilt at the lowest and highest point of this setting to see if actually changes the tilt angle.

PS it is page 47.

Thanks. I was about to post that. Sorry about the page number.

I noticed something interesting on the LR delivery blog. MGMiller and I have the same car on order (except for FSD)

MGMiller (Long Island, after 1st $5000 price hike):
Ordered July 29, 2021. RN 11539. S LR. White, cream, 19". No FSD. EDD started at Feb-March 2022, currently is Nov 27- Dec 17 2021

Me (Fort Lauderdale, before 1st $5000 price hike):
Ordered May 10, 2021. RN 11492. S LR. White, cream, 19". FSD. EDD started at Sept 2021, currently is Dec 1- Dec 31 2021

Does anyone out there have the same car ordered after the 2nd $5000 price hike?

Looks like $5000 buys you a BIG advantage on EDD.

View attachment 699587

PS it is page 47.
Yeah I see it SAYS tilt, but all you can do is raise and lower the yoke. there is no independent tilt adjustment.

Reactions: cwanja and impastu
So I just spoke to someone at the Tesla sales. They see my "Sep 9/10/11 to Sep 29/30" orders in their internal systems as October, and the Aug 21 (today!) to Sep 1st order as September.

These dates apparently "come directly from the factory", so I expect massive delays again :rolleyes:

The rep clearly said not to trust the dates shown in our accounts. And yes, carbon fiber is the main reason for the delay of my 3 orders that have it.
Thank you Marc.