Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call last night from Tesla and asked if I wanted a Plaid in the next 3 days... I said what is the catch. He said it has cream interior instead of the white you ordered. I thought for a few LONG seconds and declined. Have it August or Dec - Jan. I told him since I was spending $150,000 I would just wait. I actually surprised myself I didn't crumble since they said I would have the car in June. So the wait continues. I am so in love with my P85 I can't imagine what the Plaid will be like. Time will tell.
CF or wood trim?

Some anecdotes and observations from day two of my LR experience.

1. I found myself in the garage last night, just staring at it.

2. Took my daughter to her friends house. Her friend, his mom, and 7 year old brother went for a ride around the block with me. I did a small launch, to about 60, and the younger brother started nervously repeating "I DON'T LIKE IT, I DON'T LIKE IT". 😂

3. I cannot move the camera view to the right side of the screen, I tried sliding right from the rear view window, as someone here suggested, but it only brings up the control panel.

4. After waiting at a store for my wife, parked facing a high curb and a slowly rising lawn in front of me, I tapped the brake and auto gear select chose to point me right into the lawn. Once is enough for me, I'll not trust that thing for anything more than being too lazy to use my hand, on the chance my foot may pick the right gear.

5. The sensors that identify other cars does not seem to be very reliable with parked cars or oncoming traffic. On a two lane road with a 40MPH speed limit, about half of the oncoming traffic was not displayed on my driver display. Those that were had a lag, where I could watch the car pass me before the display showed the car passing me. It failed to pick up any of the several cars parked on the shoulder. Once I steered closer to a parked car. The display never showed the car, but the proximity sensor warned me. It does seem to consistently track cars I am following.

6. Doing the speed limit takes a lot of will power.

7. I absolutely love the save feature for mirrors and suspension. We have some driveway heaving at the end, from city plows pushing into our property, and the mirrors get awfully close to the garage walls. I love seeing my suspension go to max height as I approach the driveway, and the mirrors folding in as I approach the garage.

8. The sound system definitely needs a sub woofer. The clarity is great, and at certain frequencies, the base has some punch, but the sound is inferior to my wife's 2010 Highlander factory stereo, and that's embarrassing.

9. I tried romance mode in the parking lot today. My wife laughed her ass off when I gave her a come hither look as Sexual Healing played.

10. Really looking forward to work on Monday. Going to turn a lot of heads. One of the managers has a Chevy Volt. I'm guessing he'll just avoid me.

2. Took my daughter to her friends house. Her friend, his mom, and 7 year old brother went for a ride around the block with me. I did a small launch, to about 60, and the younger brother started nervously repeating "I DON'T LIKE IT, I DON'T LIKE IT". 😂

3. I cannot move the camera view to the right side of the screen, I tried sliding right from the rear view window, as someone here suggested, but it only brings up the control panel.

4. After waiting at a store for my wife, parked facing a high curb and a slowly rising lawn in front of me, I tapped the brake and auto gear select chose to point me right into the lawn. Once is enough for me, I'll not trust that thing for anything more than being too lazy to use my hand, on the chance my foot may pick the right gear.

5. The sensors that identify other cars does not seem to be very reliable with parked cars or oncoming traffic. On a two lane road with a 40MPH speed limit, about half of the oncoming traffic was not displayed on my driver display. Those that were had a lag, where I could watch the car pass me before the display showed the car passing me. It failed to pick up any of the several cars parked on the shoulder. Once I steered closer to a parked car. The display never showed the car, but the proximity sensor warned me. It does seem to consistently track cars I am following.

7. I absolutely love the save feature for mirrors and suspension. We have some driveway heaving at the end, from city plows pushing into our property, and the mirrors get awfully close to the garage walls. I love seeing my suspension go to max height as I approach the driveway, and the mirrors folding in as I approach the garage.

8. The sound system definitely needs a sub woofer. The clarity is great, and at certain frequencies, the base has some punch, but the sound is inferior to my wife's 2010 Highlander factory stereo, and that's embarrassing.

9. I tried romance mode in the parking lot today. My wife laughed her ass off when I gave her a come hither look as Sexual Healing played.

10. Really looking forward to work on Monday. Going to turn a lot of heads. One of the managers has a Chevy Volt. I'm guessing he'll just avoid me.
@AnselmDante Nice day 2 write-up! I will leave it to someone else to ask you about (or comment on) #1….🤪

For those who took delivery, and previously had to mod the fresh air intake to keep fir 🌲 or pine needles out (common issue on the 3), has anyone pulled the cover in the Frunk to see what’s under there? Here’s a 3 post for reference.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Sorry to ask a basic question that has probably been answered 10 times in this thread already. I tried the search function to look for an answer, but no luck. The question is: Is the Long Range the same width as the Plaid at the rear wheels? I seem to remember that they are the same width, and the bodies are essentially the same. Of course, both are wider than the 'old' MS. But the guy who posted the below youtube video thinks the Plaid has a wider body. So, which is it? thanks

Sorry to ask a basic question that has probably been answered 10 times in this thread already. I tried the search function to look for an answer, but no luck. The question is: Is the Long Range the same width as the Plaid at the rear wheels? I seem to remember that they are the same width, and the bodies are essentially the same. Of course, both are wider than the 'old' MS. But the guy who posted the below youtube video thinks the Plaid has a wider body. So, which is it? thanks
I think only the rear tires are wider. Body is the same, me thinks.

The Plaid having the wide body is a common misconception, as most refresh MS' that people have seen are Plaids. The bodies are the same width, and so are the tires for the respective 19" and 21" wheels. 255/285 for the 19s, and 265/295 for the Arachnids.

Same width. Owners manual page 206. Just got to that page tonight. 😀

From my experience you'll get a 2-week or 20-day EDD range around 5am Pacific tomorrow morning. Mostly likely mid-September to Sep 30. Ask me how I know.
We’ll need to poll everyone and see who has the most open orders. I have two MSP and a LR MX currently. Cybertruck too if you count it.
Got a call last night from Tesla and asked if I wanted a Plaid in the next 3 days... I said what is the catch. He said it has cream interior instead of the white you ordered. I thought for a few LONG seconds and declined. Have it August or Dec - Jan. I told him since I was spending $150,000 I would just wait. I actually surprised myself I didn't crumble since they said I would have the car in June. So the wait continues. I am so in love with my P85 I can't imagine what the Plaid will be like. Time will tell.
Costa Mesa delivery center says they have a “list” of people to call for any refused deliveries. I told them to add me but so far no calls.

@mmanner For the time being, until I get new wheels, I plan to use the Aeros when hitting the road (freeway trips) and remove them for my mostly retired around town driving. Don’t believe I will notice any mileage hit going this route.

Edit: Anyone know an easy way to remove the center caps without having to remove the wheel or scratch the rim paint?
I posted this on YouTube 4/15/18

Model 3 Aero Wheels Center Cap Removal

Product in video…
iFixit Heavy Duty Suction Cups Amazon.com: iFixit Heavy-Duty Suction Cups - Electronics, Computer & Tablet Display Opening Tools : Automotive
They are a perfect fit and seems to be the best method of removal
Others have suggested drilling a small hole when using an Allen wrench to pull them out.
This is definitely a much better option

ANOTHER new title for @Ormond!

Attachments

• giphy-1.gif
    giphy-1.gif
    970.3 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Ormond

Grasshopper, all will revel itself in good time and you will become one with your machine.

Grasshopper, all will revel itself in good time and you will become one with your machine.
A lot has revealed itself already. The software is crap in its current form. There are lots of things I like, but lots of things that simply don't work. I'm pretty sure the list of things I am supposed to have, but don't, is longer than the things I like that work.

One pedal driving actually applies the brakes under like 3 mph, so brake dust does in fact accumulate, just less.
Have we in fact established that, in the refreshed S, the brakes are applied before coming to a full stop?

In my M3P, the motors took care of bringing the car to a full stop using a combination of regeneration to a slow speed then reverse torque, and only when the car came to a full stop would the brakes get applied.