Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny story - the electrician who is going to install my wall connector:

Electrician: Please tell me you're not getting rid of this for an EV.
Me: Actually I am. The Model S I'm getting is actually a second faster 0-60.
Electrician: Yeah, maybe. But it definitely won't sound anything like this.
Me: 😶
Yeah, but your new car can make fart noises or sound like an ice cream truck!!

@sandman1330 Sorry this took so long - finally got a chance to get pictures and post them. I hope you didn't give up, while I was taking so long! My kiddo is an aspiring automotive photographer, and wanted to get "good" pictures...

By the way, that right front corner, the hood right over the headlight, is the worst panel gap I had. (It looks better in person, without the shadows!) I can live with that...View attachment 701808View attachment 701809View attachment 701810View attachment 701811View attachment 701812
Seeing this makes me lean more toward the matte wrap of my blue Model S.

Ok was finally able to speak to someone very helpful who switched my MF440 VIN to the original Battery Day order with the pre-10k pricing. Yay!

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 MF440 EDD Aug 25-28
RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 10-30
RN115507xxx ordered 8/17/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 cancelled
RN115525xxx ordered 8/19/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 11-30
RN115550xxx ordered 8/24/2021 Plaid/white/blk/CF/19 EDD Aug 28-31 MF439
Alright folks, I just got back from the Colma store where my white/CF order landed earlier today.

The delivery team reached out to me by text message to schedule the delivery tomorrow, which coincides with my MSM/wood delivery ("when it rain, it pours", right?), but they were kind enough to let me stop by this afternoon to see the white/CF in person.

Here are some initial impressions:
  • The build quality is pretty good, which validates the MF439xxx series others have seen
  • There were only 6 miles on the odometer - this car was shipped to Lathrop, then to Colma after I reserved it
  • Panel gaps were not perfect, but pretty decent and I didn't see major misalignment in the trunk or frunk
  • Trunk bits (privacy shelf and "down below" covers) are missing, as reported elsewhere - sounds like a factory parts shortage
  • The yoke worm/vein was definitely present, though not too bulging - definitely noticeable
  • There were some residue marks along the center console, and either nicks or glue residue on one of the door handles
  • The carbon fiber trim is the main reason why I wanted to go see it in person, and I'll post my impression in a subsequent post shortly
In the meantime, here are some general photos for you to enjoy:

IMG_0039.jpeg IMG_0040.jpeg IMG_0041.jpeg IMG_0043.jpeg IMG_0045.jpeg IMG_0066.jpeg IMG_0060.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright folks, I just got back from the Colma store where my white/CF order landed earlier today.

The delivery team reached out to me by text message to schedule the delivery tomorrow, which coincides with my MSM/wood delivery ("when it rain, it pours", right?), but they were kind enough to let me stop by this afternoon to see the white/CF in person.

• The build quality is pretty good, which validates the MF439xxx series others have seen
  • There were only 6 miles on the odometer - this car was shipped to Lathrop, then to Colma after I reserved it
  • Panel gaps were not perfect, but pretty decent and I didn't see major misalignment in the trunk or frunk
  • Trunk bits (privacy shelf and "down below" covers) are missing, as reported elsewhere - sounds like a factory parts shortage
  • The yoke worm/vein was definitely present, though not too bulging - definitely noticeable
  • There were some residue marks along the center console, and either nicks or glue residue on one of the door handles
  • The carbon fiber is the main reason is why I wanted to go see it in person, and I'll post my impression in a subsequent post shortly

View attachment 701834 View attachment 701835 View attachment 701836 View attachment 701837 View attachment 701838 View attachment 701839 View attachment 701840
Ok so now here's where decision time happened to come into play: let's talk carbon fiber trim.

First of all, I'll say I'm a huge fan of carbon fiber in general. It is usually sleek, discreet, and conveys FAST because it's supposedly lightweight material.

I regretted not ordering CF trim on my original P85D, as it was an option I didn't see the $900 (or whatever it was at the time) upcharge worth.

In the Model 3, I ended up wrapping the center console (super shiny and easy-to-scratch material) and wood dash trim (which looked kind of cheap, IMO) with a matte carbon fiber wrap, which mostly served to protect the original material, but also for looks.

So I was really keen on ordering my Plaid with CF trim, which is what I did on 4 out of my 5 orders. The one order I placed with wood interior was a desperate move to get a VIN before my 1.24% loan offer expired, and before the mid- to late-september EoQ rush.

With that out of the way, per my post above, I wanted to go check it out in person - so here are my impressions:
  • The material is super nice and high quality
  • There is a LOT of CF material, between the dash piece and the door trim, but especially on and around the center console
  • I really like the look of this CF trim when it's in the shade
  • HOWEVER, in the sun I thought it was way too reflective for my taste
I took a bunch of photos below, so I'll let you be the judge. But due to my eye sensitivity post-Lasik to bright objects, I'm afraid I will have to pass on CF trim..

I have not cancelled this order yet, but if anyone in the Bay Area is interested in this build, PM me and we can coordinate.
IMG_0046.jpeg IMG_0059.jpeg IMG_0047.jpeg IMG_0049.jpeg IMG_0051.jpeg IMG_0053.jpeg IMG_0055.jpeg IMG_0057.jpeg IMG_0062.jpeg

• The carbon fiber is the main reason is why I wanted to go see it in person, and I'll post my impression in a subsequent post shortly

View attachment 701834 View attachment 701835 View attachment 701836 View attachment 701837 View attachment 701838 View attachment 701839 View attachment 701840

What part of the car did you see gaps?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Ok so now here's where decision time happened to come into play: let's talk carbon fiber trim.

First of all, I'll say I'm a huge fan of carbon fiber in general. It is usually sleek, discreet, and conveys FAST because it's supposedly lightweight material.

I regretted not ordering CF trim on my original P85D, as it was an option I didn't see the $900 (or whatever it was at the time) upcharge worth.

In the Model 3, I ended up wrapping the center console (super shiny and easy-to-scratch material) and wood dash trim (which looked kind of cheap, IMO) with a matte carbon fiber wrap, which mostly served to protect the original material, but also for looks.

So I was really keen on ordering my Plaid with CF trim, which is what I did on 4 out of my 5 orders. The one order I placed with wood interior was a desperate move to get a VIN before my 1.24% loan offer expired, and before the mid- to late-september EoQ rush.

With that out of the way, per my post above, I wanted to go check it out in person - so here are my impressions:
  • There is a LOT of CF material, between the dash piece and the door trim, but especially on and around the center console
I took a bunch of photos below, so I'll let you be the judge. But due to my eye sensitivity post-Lasik to bright objects, I'm afraid I will have to pass on CF trim..

I have not cancelled this order yet, but if anyone in the Bay Area is interested in this build, PM me and we can coordinate.
View attachment 701844 View attachment 701845 View attachment 701846 View attachment 701847 View attachment 701848 View attachment 701849 View attachment 701850 View attachment 701851 View attachment 701852

The under dash piece (the part that meets the silver trim) looks ****ing terrible. Looks like it was glued on, but not well in half and OK in there other half, with various spots of well and not well. EEK.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
How so? I thought larger wheels were noisier and offered harsher ride
They are from two different manufacturers. From what I've read so far Pirelli has made similar tire for Lucid which has low roll resistance. I suspect this has something to do with how the tire feels, the compound is not as soft. Softer tires tend to resist roll more, harder tires have lower resistance. possible the harder tires (pirelli) in our case could be why it feels more harsh than the 21". I'll try and drive them back to back to see again tomorrow. But so far I'm not liking the 19" pirelli's. The Michelin on the 21" feel much better from initial driving impressions.

View attachment 701844 View attachment 701845 View attachment 701846 View attachment 701847 View attachment 701848 View attachment 701849 View attachment 701850 View attachment 701851 View attachment 701852
I'm team White/Black CF, but I'm biased. Honestly you can't really go wrong with whatever you choose, but I chose CF for the same reason - has a more performance feel IMO. I say pick whatever YOU like most ;) as you'll be the one living with it day in day out. I'm very happy with the quality of the CF and how it turned out👌

With @MarcG recent pics of the car, I noticed the trunk storage space looks to be much different than previous. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Reus and we discussed installing the Sub in that space. It looks to have changed from the photo attached :
Would someone with a Plaid please take a pic of the storage compartment open, showing the space.

TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_3151.jpeg
    IMG_3151.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 73
Did this happen just today? Please let me know if it did and which location it was. I’d love to step in a take the car if you do not want it. I’m waiting for one to come to Houston, I’m all paid up, and paying for insurance, but I found out today, and the car never shipped from California and will not be here for weeks.
Yes it happened today and I'm the second person to pass on this car. Not sure why the first person did.

I love it. It seems less shiny and reflective than the glossy carbon fiber trim I had in my Porsche a Macan Turbo & Jaguar I-Pace. I think as long as it’s real CF, it’s good. Very sporty looking, although maybe it’s just me, but I just think it looks better with the white or cream seats. I think the contrast makes it pop better. But either way, it still looks great, imho! 👍🏻😎

Last edited: