Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't count on it. Seems like some of these issues are 'par for the course' at Tesla. It's things like these that Tesla owners/drivers seem to forgive in favor of how well their cars perform, and I believe reliability over several years of driving seems to be quite good, actually much better than most ICE auto manufacturers (even high-end cars). So, perhaps Tesla isn't for you? Maybe yes or maybe no; you may want to check out all the available EVs out there, ones from Porsche, Audi, VW, Volvo/Polestar, BMW, MB, Jaguar, GM, Ford, Lucid, Rivian, and new ones coming in 2022 from Hyundai and Kia I think. Test drive, compare, etc. But, I highly doubt Tesla's minor imperfections and slightly lower quality control will be any better by Jan or Feb, 2022. Just my $0.02. Good luck! ;)
I currently own 3 teslas S p100d, X p100d, and M3 performance. So yes Tesla is for me. I'm simply going to wait until I get the car I really want and I would hardly call the issues minor issues on the current offer. Plus I want to have better insight into the next generation of batteries when I make my decision. I might even opt to take delivery of the X plaid as I have one those on order for December delivery. We'll see. I was the second person to pass on the car I was offered.

Ok so now here's where decision time happened to come into play: let's talk carbon fiber trim.

First of all, I'll say I'm a huge fan of carbon fiber in general. It is usually sleek, discreet, and conveys FAST because it's supposedly lightweight material.

I regretted not ordering CF trim on my original P85D, as it was an option I didn't see the $900 (or whatever it was at the time) upcharge worth.

In the Model 3, I ended up wrapping the center console (super shiny and easy-to-scratch material) and wood dash trim (which looked kind of cheap, IMO) with a matte carbon fiber wrap, which mostly served to protect the original material, but also for looks.

So I was really keen on ordering my Plaid with CF trim, which is what I did on 4 out of my 5 orders. The one order I placed with wood interior was a desperate move to get a VIN before my 1.24% loan offer expired, and before the mid- to late-september EoQ rush.

With that out of the way, per my post above, I wanted to go check it out in person - so here are my impressions:
  • The material is super nice and high quality
  • There is a LOT of CF material, between the dash piece and the door trim, but especially on and around the center console
  • I really like the look of this CF trim when it's in the shade
  • HOWEVER, in the sun I thought it was way too reflective for my taste
I took a bunch of photos below, so I'll let you be the judge. But due to my eye sensitivity post-Lasik to bright objects, I'm afraid I will have to pass on CF trim..

I have not cancelled this order yet, but if anyone in the Bay Area is interested in this build, PM me and we can coordinate.
View attachment 701844 View attachment 701845 View attachment 701846 View attachment 701847 View attachment 701848 View attachment 701849 View attachment 701850 View attachment 701851 View attachment 701852
@MarcG So, I’m confused. Are you going to keep the white or the MSM one?!

Last edited:
Alright folks, I just got back from the Colma store where my white/CF order landed earlier today.

The delivery team reached out to me by text message to schedule the delivery tomorrow, which coincides with my MSM/wood delivery ("when it rain, it pours", right?), but they were kind enough to let me stop by this afternoon to see the white/CF in person.

Here are some initial impressions:
  • The build quality is pretty good, which validates the MF439xxx series others have seen
  • There were only 6 miles on the odometer - this car was shipped to Lathrop, then to Colma after I reserved it
  • Panel gaps were not perfect, but pretty decent and I didn't see major misalignment in the trunk or frunk
  • Trunk bits (privacy shelf and "down below" covers) are missing, as reported elsewhere - sounds like a factory parts shortage
  • The yoke worm/vein was definitely present, though not too bulging - definitely noticeable
  • There were some residue marks along the center console, and either nicks or glue residue on one of the door handles
  • The carbon fiber trim is the main reason why I wanted to go see it in person, and I'll post my impression in a subsequent post shortly
In the meantime, here are some general photos for you to enjoy:

View attachment 701834 View attachment 701835 View attachment 701836 View attachment 701837 View attachment 701838 View attachment 701839 View attachment 701840
Pretty car. I see your airbag cover has the seam like many others.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yep glue residue, not sure if they wrapped the console before shipping it.

In Tesla's defense, they hadn't prepped the car yet for delivery, since they had asked to schedule it at the earliest on Friday.

So it was relatively fresh off the truck that brought it back from Lathrop (and it was fairly dusty inside).

Last edited:
There’s a Pearl White Plaid on 19s available in inventory if you type in a Dallas zip code.
Yep, I was refreshing the inventory every couple of minutes, and that one popped up at around 6:24pm. I immediately called Telsa and jumped on it. That VIN is now matched to my order, I have the insurance card uploaded, and will attempt to pick up tomorrow if they can make it ready.

I love it. It seems less shiny and reflective than the glossy carbon fiber trim I had in my Porsche a Macan Turbo & Jaguar I-Pace. I think as long as it’s real CF, it’s good. Very sporty looking, although maybe it’s just me, but I just think it looks better with the white or cream seats. I think the contrast makes it pop better. But either way, it still looks great, imho! 👍🏻😎
Bring on the CF and white interior best combo. Of course a car would be nice too 😎

Updated EDD: NOW showing Oct 30-Nov 14. It's moving in the right direction finally. I'm amazed that they didn't try for an EOQ timeline, but that's actually fine to avoid all the craziness at SC.
My Blue/Cream with 19s and no FSDis moving in the wrong direction. It was late September and now it’s 10/3-10/23 for pick up in Costa Mesa. We will probably merge around your current dates.

Unless his car with 19s has a bum tire or two (belt separation, etc.). It happens. After all, these are brand new tires for Tesla and they are pumping them out as fast as possible. Ramp up quality issues.... sound familiar, folks?
the 19" has some weird vibration at 40mph when i lift off and regen kicks in. might be the car or might be the tread as it is regen engaged? I went over 145mph, didn't notice any vibration. The issue i'm noticing that lead me to say it is more noisy with the19" is there is more of a bass or thumping sound when i drive over the same pavement. I'm sensitive to the bass thumping pressure in my ear drum and i don't experience it with the 21" tires. That leads me to say that the 19" are more noisy to me.

A good friend of mine took delivery of his LR with 19’s and i was lucky enough to go for a ride this morning. I found the noise to be slightly higher too although not significantly but enough to notice.
He also felt that my cabin is quieter.
I think it is that the 19" is a bigger drum... the thing i notice is more pressure or louder thumping putting more pressure on my ear drums. Only way I can describe it is like louder base with the 19". More thumping over similar road surfaces. Yes, it is still quiet, but the thumping to me is becoming really annoying. it isn't a constant thumping, just over certain bumps in the road, enough to be noticeable.

@MarcG Here ya go.
Good to know! Got any good photos of it?

EDIT: I noticed you have walnut, not ebony
@MarcG

w3.jpg

Attachments

• w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 53
  • w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 54
Yup. So it seems as though the 21s are optimized for maximum quietness. So if this is the case, it's not just "looks" that would be a reason to get the 21s, eh lol?🙂😉
think people looking for more range with the 19". i know was, but the extra noise might be a deal breaker for me. I'm senstive to the extra loud thumping that is happening in the 19" wheels. the bass pressure it creates on my ear drum...

Just curious.... has anyone confirmed (for certain, not opinion or speculation) that the CF trim is "Real" CF layup, and not plastic that looks like CF? Real CF is expensive, and yet Tesla doesn't charge more for this CF.... This leaves me to believe it, and perhaps the spoiler, are plastic looking/masquerading as CF... The wood, is real wood, so there's that.