Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 702948
View attachment 702949

for any of the nah sayers out there. I just finished my best run outta 4. This is on the stock 19’s with almost all the tire shine off from delivery yesterday. On the street these tires feel like they are constantly seeking traction. At the track today they struggled a bit mid track but know this place is slower a bit than normal tracks im impressed. This track has a slight up hill too it. Paradise drag way Calhoun, GA. Glad to represent the 19’s with aero caps.

awesome 1/8 mile time and trap speed!

View attachment 702948
View attachment 702949

for any of the nah sayers out there. I just finished my best run outta 4. This is on the stock 19’s with almost all the tire shine off from delivery yesterday. On the street these tires feel like they are constantly seeking traction. At the track today they struggled a bit mid track but know this place is slower a bit than normal tracks im impressed. This track has a slight up hill too it. Paradise drag way Calhoun, GA. Glad to represent the 19’s with aero caps.
@Lawdogg149 Maybe I missed it. Do you have a 0-60 time for the Plaid with 19s and Aeros?

Efficiency report:

Used 3 years of TeslaFi data from old S100D to compare with new Plaid (19") (only 1 trip's worth of Plaid data so far).
Similar speeds and weather conditions - as close to a valid comparison as I can achieve. Used Chill mode for entire trip.

Leg 1: 121 miles - 1/2 curvy, hilly 2-lane, 60 mph, 1/2 Interstate 80-85 mph.
S 100D average: 40.14 kWh (14 data points) Plaid: 41 kWh (+2.14%)

Leg 2: 90 miles - All Interstate - 85 mph.
S 100D average: 36.17 kWh (23 data points) Plaid: 33 kWh (-8.76%) (!)

Leg 3: 107 miles - All Interstate - 85 mph.
S 100D average: 42.02 kWh (23 data points) Plaid: 40 kWh (-4.80%)

Leg 4: 100 miles - Slower rural 2-lane (78 mph), slower, steep uphill (70-5) at the end.
S 100D average: 36.8 kWh (22 data points) Plaid: 38 kWh (+3.26%)

Not enough data yet to make firm conclusions, but initial trip seems to point to significant aero improvements.

Just my opinion - YMMV.

Biggest difference between the two cars: Plaid charges much longer before throttling. 3 Supercharges: 8, 16, and 12 minutes.
thanks so much for this. greater efficiency and shorter supercharging stops are two things I am hoping for relative to our 2019 LR raven.

View attachment 702948
View attachment 702949

Excellent! A 1.53 60’ means that’s the 19’s really are sacrificing little if any to the 21’s on the holeshot.
What SOC were you at?

Can someone remind me again what the Plaid 19" rims sizes (9.5 and 10.5?) are, and what the offsets are? Trying to see if "Willtheyfit" on a MYP and the 21s on the MYP would fit on the Plaid?
From the manual:
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 2.37.35 PM.png

Just found an article on the proposed roadster rockets. They don’t look very practical but something Elon might do as a demo. 1.1 seconds of insanity and if you survive, several hours to recharge the tank to try again.

It's takes no skill to get in a traction controlled EV, with consistent identical performance, and just push your foot down.

You have made a line in the sand. An arbitrary one that you chose, and are now saying "Anything faster than what I feel is enough should be banned".

And what is your issues with NOS? Your feelings towards NOS should apply to EV batteries. Right? I mean, is it impressive to just boost the current to the motors?

I like you too, but you saying going faster than the Plaid is unsafe and dangerous, while thinking a bunch of 50+ amateur drivers in a Plaid is safe. is confusing and silly. You're just one step away from thinking out loud that all software controlled cars should have acceleration and speed limit restrictions on public roads.

My issue with NOS, per se, is that it is not a sustained power. Batteries offer much more sustainable and repeatable power. Someone can run the Plaid in the 1/4 mile a boat load of times before the SOC becomes an issue (like a 2% hit per 1/4 mile?). With NOS, it really has limited utility for overall vehicle performance. I like a car that has the same power you can drag race, roll race, roadcourse, etc, , and is available any time all the time for the most part. Don't get me wrong I think NOS is an effective way and cheap way to boost power. When I modded ICE cars in the past I sought other power adder options for the reason I described above. And I do akin the boosters to that of NOS, much like @2021plaid did.

View attachment 702948
View attachment 702949

This is awesome! In regard to the tires "constantly seeking tractions", does that cause you to slip/fish-tail at all if you do a launch on regular streets?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My issue with NOS, per se, is that it is not a sustained power. Batteries offer much more sustainable and repeatable power. Someone can run the Plaid in the 1/4 mile a boat load of times before the SOC becomes an issue (like a 2% hit per 1/4 mile?). With NOS, it really has limited utility for overall vehicle performance. I like a car that has the same power you can drag race, roll race, roadcourse, etc, , and is available any time all the time for the most part. Don't get me wrong I think NOS is an effective way and cheap way to boost power. When I modded ICE cars in the past I sought other power adder options for the reason I described above. And I do akin the boosters to that of NOS, much like @2021plaid did.

Kind of like a fighter taking a shot of adrenaline just for one fight - it is not really the person fighting. The S has real sustainable power that is at the core of the vehcile.

Interesting discussion here. I can't say I am a big fan of the rocket boosters either. My questions are how deterministic is the power and can it be used on a road course. I would rather see more refinement in the battery and car fundamentals before this. Can we get more power out of the batteries, can we reduce weight on the car? Those are better areas to tackle, IMHO, and will result in a car that has predictable/deterministic power that is more easily put to use in a variety of situations other than just straight line acceleration.
Exactly. Engineering Explained has an excellent video describing the cold gas thrusters. There is no way that these would work on a road course, as thrust with that size tank can only be maintained for about 2 seconds. So if you're taking a corner at 2Gs, and those things cut off, you're dead. It will be a straight line thing, and a hovering party trick which will likely be limited to 3 to 6 ft, and for only a few seconds. The type of work to integrate these thrusters cannot be cheap, so you're going to be paying 50 to 100k for a one use thing. And it's not a huge deal, as no one else will be strapping thrusters to their cars, but still, it will be heavily limited. Yes, you can't always use the full power of performance vehicles in general on the street, but that power is always there, and available, and will last more than 2 seconds.

View attachment 702948
View attachment 702949

Impressive. For comparison purposes, on the street on less than stellar ground the Pilot Sport 4S are at their limits (they work great, but JUST). On a clean area of road they hook up without any complaint. So these Pirellis seem to do the job by your numbers. On the street I’d have a hard time imagining them as good as the Michelins.

Exactly. Engineering Explained has an excellent video describing the cold gas thrusters. There is no way that these would work on a road course, as thrust with that size tank can only be maintained for about 2 seconds. So if you're taking a corner at 2Gs, and those things cut off, you're dead. It will be a straight line thing, and a hovering party trick which will likely be limited to 3 to 6 ft, and for only a few seconds. The type of work to integrate these thrusters cannot be cheap, so you're going to be paying 50 to 100k for a one use thing. And it's not a huge deal, as no one else will be strapping thrusters to their cars, but still, it will be heavily limited. Yes, you can't always use the full power of performance vehicles in general on the street, but that power is always there, and available, and will last more than 2 seconds.
That we’re having this discussion at all is kind of amazing. 🤣

Impressive. For comparison purposes, on the street on less than stellar ground the Pilot Sport 4S are at their limits (they work great, but JUST). On a clean area of road they hook up without any complaint. So these Pirellis seem to do the job by your numbers. On the street I’d have a hard time imagining them as good as the Michelins.
Indeed. Yesterday I was worried about the hookup. The 19’s on the street struggle for traction all the way to 100 mph. Im for sure the michelins are way better tires. Quite frankly shocked the 19’s did this well.

Kind of like a fighter taking a shot of adrenaline just for one fight - it is not really the person fighting. The S has real sustainable power that is at the core of the vehcile.
EXACTLY! There is nothing ground breaking about strapping a quick boost to a car. There is no leap in advancement to do this. THAT'S why I dislike it. Another really bad thing about the boosters, is that once they go off, the Roadster is significantly slower than say, a Lotus Evija, so you have the quickest car for about 2 seconds, and then you're done. Literally EVERYWHERE else, you're going to be slower. It's like putting a sock in your pants, and walking around sporting it, and when it's time to go, it's extremely unimpressive compared to the hype. I can actually see people buying and being disappointed with the SpaceX Package, once they realize they just blew a crapton of money on a one trick thing, that when it runs out, is the same speed, if not SLOWER due to the added weight of the boosters, then a guy who paid 50 to 100k less!

Last edited: