Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Yesterday I was worried about the hookup. The 19’s on the street struggle for traction all the way to 100 mph. Im for sure the michelins are way better tires. Quite frankly shocked the 19’s did this well.
Wow. Struggling to 100? 😳 That’s scary. No such issues on the PS4S on moderately decent ground. Be careful!

I wonder if the gen2 HPWC will allow a gen3 HPWC to power share? Anyone know?
They wont, they'll need to both be gen2 or both be gen3 to load share. And the gen3 still doesn't have the software to wirelessly load share.

Aside from that, gen2 can share a breaker when load sharing, gen 3 are supposed to be wired each to their own breaker. So if properly wired separately and 96 amps from two cars charging plus whatever else your house needs doesn't exceed 80% of your panel rating you wouldn't need the load sharing. You could also lower the max amps of each charger to fit your panel's availability. It'll take longer to charge but usually not an issue if doing it overnight. If you need it, best bet is to find another gen2.

Exactly. Engineering Explained has an excellent video describing the cold gas thrusters. There is no way that these would work on a road course, as thrust with that size tank can only be maintained for about 2 seconds. So if you're taking a corner at 2Gs, and those things cut off, you're dead. It will be a straight line thing, and a hovering party trick which will likely be limited to 3 to 6 ft, and for only a few seconds. The type of work to integrate these thrusters cannot be cheap, so you're going to be paying 50 to 100k for a one use thing. And it's not a huge deal, as no one else will be strapping thrusters to their cars, but still, it will be heavily limited. Yes, you can't always use the full power of performance vehicles in general on the street, but that power is always there, and available, and will last more than 2 seconds.

If it does not work on a road course or motor-cross then it's really not a robust type of power. I think the next step in the evolution of EVs is actually going to be geared towards optimizing track performance, also, BTW.

How do you know what SC you are assigned and can you be stuck with them?. I am pretty close to Buena Park and was relying on many people's experience of having the SC help record and fix any QC issues. Is Buena Park bad? I guess I could always go to Costa Mesa or the new Irvine SC to fix any QC issues but can I really be stuck with an SC that is known as not good to take care of these issues?
My observation is not based on an exhaustive study. My experience, however, is that Buena Park is not very responsive to customer phone calls, whereas Costa Mesa seems to pick up their phone once in a while. I know that somebody else on the board mentioned having similar experiences. I am closer to Buena Park (I am in Yorba Linda) so I assume That’s where the service calls are originating from. I do know that my car was delivered through the Buena Park service center.

EXACTLY! There is nothing ground breaking about strapping a quick boost to a car. There is no leap in advancement to do this. THAT'S why I dislike it. Another really bad thing about the boosters, is that once they go off, the Roadster is significantly slower than say, a Lotus Evija, so you have the quickest car for about 2 seconds, and then you're done. Literally EVERYWHERE else, you're going to be slower. It's like putting a sock in your pants, and walking around sporting it, and when it's time to go, it's extremely unimpressive compared to the hype. I can actually see people buying and being disappointed with the SpaceX Package, once they realize they just blew a crapton of money on a one trick thing, that when it runs out, is the same speed, if not SLOWER due to the added weight of the boosters, then a guy who paid 50 to 100k less!
People, including myself, want a versatile vehicle. This way they get get multiple options on how to enjoy their car.

View attachment 702948
View attachment 702949

for any of the nah sayers out there. I just finished my best run outta 4. This is on the stock 19’s with almost all the tire shine off from delivery yesterday. On the street these tires feel like they are constantly seeking traction. At the track today they struggled a bit mid track but know this place is slower a bit than normal tracks im impressed. This track has a slight up hill too it. Paradise drag way Calhoun, GA. Glad to represent the 19’s with aero caps.

Wow 6.08 at 122mph is very impressive, and one of the best I’ve seen. Yea the car has too much torque for most tires at any speed under like 70mph.

What car was next to you lol ?

“free supercharger use for you and a buddy”—you’re referring to the 1000 miles credit if you use a referral code, right?
I was referring to that referral code. I actually used the referral before I ordered the car. So I assume that my buddy will get some miles and I will as well once I take delivery. Current delivery is September 7th at 10:00 AM.

My SA has not got back to me about the $2000 rebate, and based on what others have said in this forum, I am not eligable for this.

Thanks to those that responded clarifying the rebate.
VIN
5YJSA1E66MF439XXX

A very good tire for track use, it is road approved but not very good in the rain
True, the cup 2 tires could be very dangerous in the rain. Unfortunately, I took one for the team when I totaled my 720whp Callaway Vette with similar tires on wet roads in 2009. I wasn’t even driving aggressively. Just got some bumps and bruises so all good.

I know this is the Ordering, Production and Delivery thread but it’s also the most active….and I need a non-OPD question answered!

Tomorrow I’m having a Radenso RC M radar detector with laser jammers installed on my Plaid and they’ll need access to my frunk for installation (so I can’t put it in valet mode) and they plan to test drive it against laser radars. Thoughts or suggestions? I would hope they’d be professional enough not to drive beyond their abilities but should I leave it in Chill mode—are there other options y’all could think of?

As an aside we once valeted our R8 and (no kidding) looked out the window of a building to see several valets taking turns running it around. When I went downstairs to ask WTF the valet that had been driving it around stood to the side to let the next one in who yelled “my turn” because he didn’t realize it was my car. 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
I know this is the Ordering, Production and Delivery thread but it’s also the most active….and I need a non-OPD question answered!

Tomorrow I’m having a Radenso RC M radar detector with laser jammers installed on my Plaid and they’ll need access to my frunk for installation (so I can’t put it in valet mode) and they plan to test drive it against laser radars. Thoughts or suggestions? I would hope they’d be professional enough not to drive beyond their abilities but should I leave it in Chill mode—are there other options y’all could think of?

As an aside we once valeted our R8 and (no kidding) looked out the window of a building to see several valets taking turns running it around. When I went downstairs to ask WTF the valet that had been driving it around stood to the side to let the next one in who yelled “my turn” because he didn’t realize it was my car. 🤦‍♀️
I would activate Speed Limit Mode to maybe 55 or 70 mph. Not only does this limit the speed, but the car is then locked in Chill Acceleration as well. Should do the trick. :)

I suggest you use the app to lock the top speed using a PIN.

This is awesome! In regard to the tires "constantly seeking tractions", does that cause you to slip/fish-tail at all if you do a launch on regular streets?
Tesla's traction/stability control has always been a marvel likely do to the much shorter time constant for the BeV drive line. The Plaid delivers power on what must be close or slightly over the traction limit of the tires and the TC spends all of its time making small power corrections. The car just feels like it is skittering across the road with small bits of yaw. The yaw is exacerbated by uneven pulling of your arms against one side of the yoke or the other which can lead to a bit of a "pilot induced oscillation" type thing where you weave side to side a tad bit. Like all other Teslas, it is all perfectly controllable but definitely closer to the edge.

As for you folks looking for 3G (not the cell coverage), I've done this both lateral and longitudinal. It's fun on the track but I'm not really sure I'm up for it on the street; you can call me a chicken :)

page1image1182776624

Last edited:
I would activate Speed Limit Mode to maybe 55 or 70 mph. Not only does this limit the speed, but the car is then locked in Chill Acceleration as well. Should do the trick. :)

that is a great setup. Can you advise who did the install and how it went once done. Pix would be great. enjoy.