Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is super cool! Expensive for sure but then no one else has the product so good for them. Another reason I like AD’s idea to use the original mount is I leave it in the frunk or trunk and any time pulled over, just let them know it recently fell off, someone knocked it off etc, and plans are to reaffix soon. I’ve done that with the Jeep front plate (just got a “new” bumper…) and with the current car saying I didn’t know it was missing and pointed to the inspection sticker and said “it was on the front when I got that”. I’ve only been stopped twice in 20 years and both times on the MA Pike by Staties. Once in the Jeep and once in the car. No warnings. No tickets. Just get it on and the other was that I report the missing plate to the rmv. But I think this product is a great idea!!
Ha, “Staties“. I’ve been in California so long I forgot the term. It’s Highway Patrol out here, Staties is such an East coast thing. Nice to be reminded!

Last edited:
Ha, “Staties“. I’ve been in California so long I forgot the term. It’s Highway Patrol out here, Staties is such an East coast thing. Nice to be reminded!
I know it well - Ponch & John CHiPS!

Attachments

• 63D46EDC-29DA-4704-97DC-429267FA3228.jpeg
    63D46EDC-29DA-4704-97DC-429267FA3228.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 59
And what about charging to 100%?

I often drive 150-180+ mi in a day; about 18k-20k mi per year and lately, I’ve been trading in every 2-4 years or so. I always charged my Jag I-Pace EV to 100% every night and had no issues as far as I could tell. No degradation on max battery range and it always had no problem charging to max capacity at 100%. But it wasn’t a Tesla and I only kept the EV for just over 2 years. Any thoughts about charging the Tesla Model S Plaid to 100% daily? Will it really lose a significant amount of mileage / max battery range if charging to 100% everyday over a 2-4 year period?
If you go over to the battery discussion forums you will find links to all sorts of battery studies that talk about how bad it is for a lithium ion battery to sit long term at 100% charge (or to discharge all the way to 0%). It is even worse to leave it at 100% charge in hot weather. There isn't anything different about Tesla batteries that makes charging to 100% worse than in other cars. If anything it is probably better because Tesla has really good battery cooling technology. I believe it is the sitting at 100% SOC more so than just charging to 100%. That is why some will wait and charge the final 10% up to 100% right before leaving on a long trip so that it doesn't sit at 100% for more than a few minutes.

How hard it is on the batteries in your particular car is probably going to be dependent on a lot of variables including how frequently you charge to 100%, the ambient temperature, how long it sits at 100%, the quality of your specific battery pack, etc. You may very well not notice any additional degradation.

I don't know if it still does this, as I haven't charged my M3P to 100% in a while, but back when I had my P100DL if I charged to 100% for more than 2 days in a row you would get a nag screen telling you not to continue charging to 100% every day. It wouldn't stop you, but you had to clear the nag screen every time if you kept charging to 100%.

I know it well - Ponch & John CHiPS!
LOL, there was like a 5 year period when I first moved to LA 17 years ago where about once a year or more I’d run into Eric Estrada somewhere. I’m nothing to do with Hollywood or anything of the nature, I’d just randomly run into him. He prob thought I was stalking him. Maybe he was stalking me.

How does everyone feel about charging to 90%? This is my first EV. I here a lot of people recommending 80%, but the Tesla app defaults to 90% for daily driving.
I’ve been doing 90% on all of my Ses over the years and I‘ve seen minimal impact on my range other than what is expected. My current one is well over 100k miles. I almost never take my car to 100% for long trips, though, so I expect that matters.

How does everyone feel about charging to 90%? This is my first EV. I here a lot of people recommending 80%, but the Tesla app defaults to 90% for daily driving.
I do 85% but only charge when I drop to 30%. In my 7th year and the 240 rated miles is now 225..

for road trips, I also never charge to 100% but that’s because when I’m finally at the supercharger, it’s way faster charging from 10% to 80% than say from 25% to 90%. Little tricks you learn along the way :)

Last edited:
I'm very interested in this as well. Since I have a wait ahead, I might as well use the time to learn best practices for the car.

EDIT: Thanks for the insightful responses. I'm going to head over to the battery forum.

Last edited:
So regarding the battery charging questions….

If you charge to 90% every day or every night, what does a MS Plaid (with 21” wheels) show for max battery range when you first get in the vehicle? 348mi or ~ 313mi? I guess not that it matters much but just curious, since everyone is saying that Tesla’s default charging is to 90% (and then assuming your wall connector charger turns off after it reaches 90% charging status).

With my I-Pace EV, my charger just turned itself off when it reached 100% and the vehicle’s brake regen didn’t kick on until it went below 100%…which was literally after the first few minutes of driving every morning. So this was no big deal and I got used to that.

I believe the I-Pace was software adjusted to allow you to charge to 100% which will give roughly the rated mileage, but the battery itself has a good bit of built in headroom so you’re not actually maxing it out even though it shows “100%”.

In contrast to that logic, Tesla allows us to get much closer to the batteries true max; 100% is really close to the batteries actual capacity.

Has anyone since Omar taken delivery on a White interior? I've been watching the sheet and it looked like some were getting delivered in August.
Hoping white inteiors start to ramp up in Sept. There are a few out there in the wild. Last one I remember was @hotsoup with the couple of others around EOQ Q2 rush.

So, an interesting observation I just made on the 2021.24 MS owner's manual versus the 2021.12.4 version, is the battery's nominal voltage is different. I'm not sure whether this is a mistake or not (which it seems to be) but nominal voltage is now listed at 407v, vs. the 450 prior.
Those with CAN Bus data can chime in with real world battery voltage curves.

So regarding the battery charging questions….

If you charge to 90% every day or every night, what does a MS Plaid (with 21” wheels) show for max battery range when you first get in the vehicle? 348mi or ~ 313mi? I guess not that it matters much but just curious, since everyone is saying that Tesla’s default charging is to 90% (and then assuming your wall connector charger turns off after it reaches 90% charging status).

With my I-Pace EV, my charger just turned itself off when it reached 100% and the vehicle’s brake regen didn’t kick on until it went below 100%…which was literally after the first few minutes of driving every morning. So this was no big deal and I got used to that.
I don't have my Plaid yet so I can't give you the specific number, but you have to charge all the way to 100% to see the full rated range. If you charge to 90% it will show 90% of the rated range. Most people don't drive that far every day and only need max range when going on a trip (and even then if you are going to be needing to supercharge on the trip anyway charging to max range initially isn't important as the car charges much faster at a lower SOC).

I personally have always followed Tesla's advice and plugged my car in anytime I'm not driving it if a charger is available regardless of the SOC, and I have it set to charge to 90% so it automatically cuts off when it gets to 90%.

If you go over to the battery discussion forums you will find links to all sorts of battery studies that talk about how bad it is for a lithium ion battery to sit long term at 100% charge (or to discharge all the way to 0%). It is even worse to leave it at 100% charge in hot weather. There isn't anything different about Tesla batteries that makes charging to 100% worse than in other cars. If anything it is probably better because Tesla has really good battery cooling technology. I believe it is the sitting at 100% SOC more so than just charging to 100%. That is why some will wait and charge the final 10% up to 100% right before leaving on a long trip so that it doesn't sit at 100% for more than a few minutes.

How hard it is on the batteries in your particular car is probably going to be dependent on a lot of variables including how frequently you charge to 100%, the ambient temperature, how long it sits at 100%, the quality of your specific battery pack, etc. You may very well not notice any additional degradation.

I don't know if it still does this, as I haven't charged my M3P to 100% in a while, but back when I had my P100DL if I charged to 100% for more than 2 days in a row you would get a nag screen telling you not to continue charging to 100% every day. It wouldn't stop you, but you had to clear the nag screen every time if you kept charging to 100%.

Question is, who the hell needs a 90% charge each day on a car with a 375 mile range? Especially if you have a home charger. I'd go 75% for daily commute, 90% to start a road trip and never below 10%. A leading battery professor who has done work for Tesla stated that between 40-80% is where these batteries like to be for longevity.

Also, I challenge you to even notice. Probably won't until way past year 5.

Question is, who the hell needs a 90% charge each day on a car with a 375 mile range? Especially if you have a home charger. I'd go 75% for daily commute, 90% to start a road trip and never below 10%. A leading battery professor who has done work for Tesla stated that between 40-80% is where these batteries like to be for longevity.

Also, I challenge you to even notice. Probably won't until way past year 5.
Yes, that's right. I've always done 90% but the most range any of my cars has ever had up until now was just over 300 miles, so at 90% I typically started each day with around 265 - 275 miles of rated range which the way I drive is more like 180 - 200 miles of actual range. I like a cushion in case I need to run additional errands or something unexpected comes up, and my commute is ~30 miles each way. I do usually end the day at around a 40% - 50% SOC though.

From a soon to be 5th time Tesla owner we have ALWAYS charged our cars to 90% daily and always keep our cars plugged in when at home.

Charging set to "departure time" so never starts until some time in the early early AM. My previous 3 Model S' had less than 3% degradation and one was as 2015 / 75k miles second at 2017 / 62k miles and my last at 2019 / 49k miles. Our current 2017 Model X 75D is only 4 miles short of delivery day 100%.

Some will say don't do 90% but Elon has said 90% several times in the past and I can confirm with a lot of experience that we have had less battery degradation than the norm so take that as you want.

I personally feel one of the biggest things you can do is just make sure you plug your car in as soon as you pull in your garage regardless when you have it set to charge. Several things happen, top off the 12v battery and fans cooling etc, that happen and you are never aware. Many years ago Tesla stated on their web site "A happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla" or it might have been "A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" but either way that's how we kept our cars since 2015.

DELIVERY for #5 MS LR BLK/BLK/19" is THIS Friday!!!!! 🎉🥳

Finally got my LR back from detailing. The detailer had it since Tuesday. I have to admit it was frustrating to have to wait so long, but the owner, Jared, was honest about not having enough help this week, and in the end, he came in on a Sunday, a day he is never open, and finished the work on my car. He called me at 5 PM on a Sunday to tell me it was done, and even waited the 45 minutes it took me to get there.

The work is beautiful. 35% tint on sides and back, front PPF to include cameras and mirrors and ceramic coating on the whole car. He removed the front plate holder , readjusted the frunk rubber seal issue I told him about, cleaned the dirt my family left on the floor mats and vacuumed everything. All of that was free of charge. Very impressed with the attention to detail.

Now I get to drive it until my service appointment on 7 September, to fix delivery issues.

View attachment 703067View attachment 703068View attachment 703069View attachment 703071
Super!