Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LR delivery was set for next Tuesday. Waited 8 months. Today I was out in Scottsdale delivery facility area so I decided to look for my car. No luck so I asked the service delivery guys it’s status and about getting that 2K taken off so I could get a cashiers check ready for Tuesday delivery. He’s like what 2K? I’m like really dude, looks at my order dates. He got the 2K taken off within 5 minutes, he looked my car up and said it has passed inspection and I can pick up tonight at 6. Whoa! They paid for my Uber ride to get there this evening (50 miles). It is flawless visually, every rumored missing trunk part was there. All gaps and rubber hood, no scrapes underneath. It’s as fast as I need and the hubcaps look better than expected, but I’m still planning to powder coat the 19’s to match black trim. The only problem I found is tires need balancing between 105-120 mph. Pics on low suspension setting. VIN 441. Frunk is open.
Awesome dude! Loving the red.

Is that a crazy hood gap or just camera angle?

edit: I guess I missed the last line… frunk open.

Attachments

• 614A6181-E6E6-4007-A048-7B1CE00AAEAF.jpeg
    614A6181-E6E6-4007-A048-7B1CE00AAEAF.jpeg
    710.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
My LR delivery was set for next Tuesday. Waited 8 months. Today I was out in Scottsdale delivery facility area so I decided to look for my car. No luck so I asked the service delivery guys it’s status and about getting that 2K taken off so I could get a cashiers check ready for Tuesday delivery. He’s like what 2K? I’m like really dude, looks at my order dates. He got the 2K taken off within 5 minutes, he looked my car up and said it has passed inspection and I can pick up tonight at 6. Whoa! They paid for my Uber ride to get there this evening (50 miles). It is flawless visually, every rumored missing trunk part was there. All gaps and rubber hood, no scrapes underneath. It’s as fast as I need and the hubcaps look better than expected, but I’m still planning to powder coat the 19’s to match black trim. The only problem I found is tires need balancing between 105-120 mph. Pics on low suspension setting. VIN 441. Frunk is open.
Is your hood open?

Hey folks, it's been awhile since I chimed in, but I took delivery of an LR today. Thought I would cross-post my experience here. 😄

Hi LR waiting room buddies, my seven month waiting journey (Feb-Sept) is now officially over.

My EDD change log was roughly: March -> Late March -> Blank (for months until the update email about a month ago) -> Sept 15-30 -> Sept 2-15 -> Sept 12-30 -> Sept 9

As soon as a VIN was assigned earlier this week (9/6ish), delivery was scheduled soon after.

I had a direct delivery even though I live in very close proximity to the Fremont factory. I felt bad for the delivery driver as he had to wait for an Uber to bring him back to the factory. I thought they would have delivered the vehicle via flatbed, but I arrived with 15 additional miles on the odometer. No big deal.

Overall the fit and finish was flawless. No discernible panel gaps. In fact, there wasn't much to say about the interior either!

A few things I did notice though:
  1. Missing mats and trunk covers
  2. Weird quiet whirring noise coming from the A/C system that happens intermittently
  3. Yoke has the weird worm looking thing but you can't feel it, only see it
  4. There's some leftover painters tape in the front passenger door that seems to be from the assembly process
  5. A lot of random debris on the floor
  6. I don't see a denting issue with my trunk catch flap that others are experiencing
  7. Some leftover adhesive lining the trunk panels
  8. And wow, Insane mode is... insane. I can't even imagine what Plaid is like.
  9. The yoke wasn't too difficult for me to get acclimated with. It is a bit awkward on turns but it's really not a big deal. I rarely use my horn so the new position really doesn't affect me.
  10. Turn signals and the drive selection change affects me more than the yoke. It is not as easy to disengage the turn signals as with a stalk.
  11. I already curb rashed a wheel... :oops:
Overall it is a well built car and a devilishly fast speed demon. Yes the wait is worth it but my god was that part of the experience terrible.

Best of luck to everyone else in line! Here's some pics.

View attachment 707443View attachment 707444

View attachment 707445View attachment 707446View attachment 707448View attachment 707449

Yeah I don't understand all the comments about the "terrible" brakes on the Plaid. Motor Trend got a 60-0 distance of 104ft.
That compares pretty well to their (somewhat dated) testing of Audi R8 - 101ft, MB SLS AMG Roadster - 100ft, and Lambo Aventador - 100ft.

I think what people are really referring to is the pedal pressure required to fully engage the brakes. It feels like it takes more pedal force in my Plaid to fully engage the brakes, but once you do, the stopping is very good. Better than my old E60 BMW M5 at 112 ft, even though the brakes "felt" better in that car, perhaps because it took less pedal force to engage.

Bottom line, press down on the brakes HARD if you want to stop quickly - you won't be disappointed.
Feel inspires confidence and, regretfully, vise versa. There is little initial bite and onset is not predictable. I have no first hand experience but some have indicated fade is a problem as well. The fade does not concern me in the least as I use the Plaid as a street car daily driver.

Ok Pictures for a MF439 VIN S Plaid

Yes I have the worm but it's not a big deal...

Car has 14 miles at delivery time : Front Fender already damaged in shipping:

View attachment 707395

Trunk: No top or bottom pieces..... in fact there's a 'bump of fabric' bottom left of the picture in the bottom....

View attachment 707396

Random Seat Creases:

View attachment 707397

View attachment 707398

And this is the big one, front right door actually has trouble closing unless you lift it slightly [see how jammed it is at the bottom of this pic]

View attachment 707399
you would think Tesla would put the cars in a "higher" suspension level for shipping. Some of the drivers getting our cars on the train and trucks are not even pretending to care.

Like many other forum members here I have a love hate relationship with Tesla. My Model X had the melting roof seals on the falcon doors and the car was only 1.5 years old and 16k miles. Thought it would be covered under warranty and escalated all the way to regional manager who informed me that I caused the damage parking the car outside in the sun. This is San Francisco Bay Area sun, not AZ or TX. So the regional manager offered me a "deal" for 50% off the $2600 cost to replace the seals but would only warranty the work for 1 year. He also informed me that if water got into the car and damaged the interior due to failed seals it would void my warranty. So I ended up paying the money to get the car fixed and sold the car afterwards based on how Tesla treated me as a customer. Yet here I am again.........so my decision between a mach e vs LR is a bit more complicated :)
Your fault because you parked a car outside????? Lovely. I'd have wanted that one in writing.

My MS driver's display was fine until the SC had the car for 45 days while they sorted a Ludicrous upgrade battery issue. When they returned the car, the peripheral glue joint had started to show. Why? Because they left my car outside in the S. FL sun in the summer.

and no, they were not interested in fixing the problem with their poor choice of adhesives that did not survive the heat they exposed it to.

Tesla where customers are disposable.

Datapoint: Plaid+ order RN1141 converted to Plaid order for a white, black interior CF 19” . had a EDD Sept 8 to 22 now showing Sept 21-24 with a MF442 Vin and east coast delivery.

Getting the VIN and 4 day EDD window coincided with getting an email with subject “2021 Model S Cash Final Payment Ready.”

As a stockholder I admire their cash management skills encouraging bank transfers 2 weeks before delivery, but as a customer I’ll pay with a check on the day of delivery after inspection.

update: Sept 21-24 changed to Sept 16-22.

OFFICIAL ONBOARD PLAID NURBURGRING VIDEO!!!!!!!!

Limited to 166 mph
Understeers like a pig.
The only time the back steps out is on hard braking with turn in or when the back gets kicked by a curb.
HUGE use of regenerative braking as opposed to the brake pedal. Neat to see one pedal technique used near the limit of traction.
"Dif" is set up for too much drive. A lot of the Plaid's stock understeer could be dialed out with more active rear "Dif" torque steering.

I'd love to see that same run with someone with slower hands and more balanced gentler inputs. It would negate a lot of the front wheel scrub loss. I wonder if Jensen is available.