Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a really rare but awesome just posted official Tesla video, with a walkthrough and look at their glass design:
Fun fact: the vehicle he sits in at the beginning of the video and the end is the new MX.
Bonus fun fact: the windshield at 1:22 is almost without a doubt the Cybertruck's. Same lines, just with more of a curvature to it.

Last edited:
question...unless you are a real car enthusiast and speed junky (or aesthetic car junkie), I don't see why so many folks are getting the 21" wheels when you take a noticeable hit on range and comfort/ride...if stories on the ride comfort and battery hit are to be believed. It doesn't seem worth it for me (in my case).
I just prefer the look of the 21's, I don't think I could pay for one with the 19's. it just doesn't look good at all to me. but that's just MY preference, not a knock on anybody that chose 19's at all.

question...unless you are a real car enthusiast and speed junky (or aesthetic car junkie), I don't see why so many folks are getting the 21" wheels when you take a noticeable hit on range and comfort/ride...if stories on the ride comfort and battery hit are to be believed. It doesn't seem worth it for me (in my case).
People get the 21" wheels because the 19" wheels are hideous, and you lose [some of] the range benefits if you remove the hideous wheel covers. I would actually prefer 19" wheels for the more comfortable ride if for no other reason, but man they are fugly.

Last edited:
People get the 21" wheels because the 19" wheels are hideous, and you lose the range benefits if you remove the hideous wheel covers. I would actually prefer 19" wheels for the more comfortable ride if for no other reason, but man they are fugly.
I tried to make it sound flowery, but you basically told the hard truth. 19's are Ugly on this gorgeous car!

Eh, not entirely true. there is barely any noticeable range difference from the hub caps off versus them on. Which left me with Tesla really should have included a non-aerocap 19" wheel option as it makes no difference.
That would be interesting if true. Not sure how one Tesla owner could prove that out though. You'd have to charge to 100% and then immediately get in the car and drive at a constant speed until the battery is completely dead on a completely flat track over and over again to get a reliable and repeatable range number, and then do it over again many times without the cover. Way too hard to actually test by a single owner in any sort of reliable way.

Are there any good alternatives that solve the aesthetic part but don't take a hit on comfort and battery?
There are compromises. You can buy aftermarket wheels. You can remove the cover and get some of the benefit but not all of the benefit.

I wonder if there is even more benefit to going to 17" or 18" wheels? I used to have 17" wheels on my 2001 Mustang and they handled great. That car was putting down about 600 hp, so not the same as the Plaid by a long shot, but still a lot of power.

If range and comfort were really cut down in a significant way, I would look more at the 19's. However, the 21's ride and handle excellent. Looks great - hands down - over the 19's. I am willing to give up those miles for the other benefits of the 21's. Now, where are the A/S for 21"?

1631815785050.png

So my Plaid will be able to take on this peacock?!View attachment 710158
View attachment 710159
812 Competizione! And yes, Plaid will smack that thing into the ground. Especially usability wise, as the 812 is RWD, naturally aspirated, and high revving (9500 rpm) so the power comes on top, not down low. Even when the power does come on, it's a 200 hp disadvantage, and it has all the power losses associated with an ICE.

This is what I've been told has been happening with the production line and indirectly this would feed into the delivery schedule: The way the initial ramp up has been going is that Tesla is producing a couple of cars and then pausing the line while Elon personally inspects the batch of cars they produced. Then any issues are addressed and the line is tweaked (which might take a day or so, depending on the issue) and then another small batch of cars is produced and poured over for quality. This is a slightly different initial ramp-up in production than initially thought. (much slower at the beginning, but much quicker once all the issues are addressed up front). Doing this will insure higher quality for all the cars as the quality issues are addressed very early in the production run. Once Elon is comfortable with the quality level, the full speed ramp up should progress quite quickly. This matches what he said in the recent investors call. So it does initially delay the very early cars from their initially quoted delivery dates, but it should mean that the fast ramp-up to hit the 5000 car delivery goal should be achievable by year end. So I think the quality of the cars now coming off the line and being delivered to customers at this point is much greater than any of the cars we have seen at the Get Amped events. We will find out very soon now that cars are out in the wild and those numbers will continually increase over time.

I expect that we will see a very fast ramp up after all the Signature cars are delivered. I'm hopeful that the regular production car que will be very pleasantly surprised at how quick the delivery schedule progresses in October, November and December. In other words, the production line can blast out cars at it's maximum rate now if Tesla wanted to, but won't do so until they are very confident of the quality of the cars coming off the line. Give Elon's track record with getting problems solved, I would say that the line will be at full speed sooner than we expect and will be producing many more cars than the 20,000 a year delivery goal implies.
Stumbled across this post from 10 years ago…I guess Elon no longer the QC guy is why we’re seeing all these issues today.

There are compromises. You can buy aftermarket wheels. You can remove the cover and get some of the benefit but not all of the benefit.

I wonder if there is even more benefit to going to 17" or 18" wheels? I used to have 17" wheels on my 2001 Mustang and they handled great. That car was putting down about 600 hp, so not the same as the Plaid by a long shot, but still a lot of power.
Even my wife's LR RR Velar and my daughter's Acura RDX AWD A-Spec have 20" wheels. I don't think I've driven on smaller 19" wheels or smaller in > a decade. My last vehicle, the Jag I-Pace HSE electric vehicle had 22" wheels (no wheel covers btw) and had a verifiable 250 mi. max battery range.