Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am see this working well for those all set on a Plaid and want to try the LR out.
On the other hand, LR buyers testing out the Plaid is a recipe for disaster. Its like getting used to a new drug and there’s no going back lol
That's why I was recommending it so someone doesn't get an LR and experience Plaid, and be disappointed for the rest of the ownership of the car.

I am see this working well for those all set on a Plaid and want to try the LR out.
On the other hand, LR buyers testing out the Plaid is a recipe for disaster. Its like getting used to a new drug and there’s no going back lol

That is why I had to be careful in college. Once the ladies knew of the Hayseed, it was hard to look at another man.

That is why I had to be careful in college. Once the ladies knew of the Hayseed, it was hard to look at another man.
9j7x.gif

Disagree. No one goes and buys wheels based on MT tests. They look at the number, and most of the time assume (correctly or incorrectly) both wheel options will achieve that.

UM excuse me? That is effing rude dude. I've ALWAYS been the positive person, and I've never been closed minded. I cannot stand people who are, so I try my very best not to be one. WOW. I was HAPPY to see the 19s to 9.28, and go faster in the 1/8 mile. Just because I'm disagreeing with what you are saying and stating real factors does not make me closed minded. I'm trying to be realistic here.
And we HAVE NOT seen a full 1/4 mile test of the 19s hit 9.23. Fastest I've seen so far is 9.28 at like 150 mph.
And you cannot compare the P85DL to the Plaid. The P85D is a relative pig compared to the Plaid in terms of grip needs. I cannot stress this enough. Totally different beasts, AND the P85D had better tires on the 19s then the current 19s on the Plaid.

1. Just consider waiting for the data -and then when it comes -- don't pretend that it shows that 19" and 21" are the same. The video shows a tenth difference which is sizable.

2. And also consider the decreased rotational mass of 19" may have more benefit than increased tire width (or other differences) of the 21". There was a post a while back somewhere that weighed all 4 different tire/wheel setups front and rear of the Tempest and 2021Arachnids. I can't find it though.

3. The P85DL gets a low 1.6x 60 foot time (my time posted on dragtimes.com is 1.61 -- on all-seasons) while Plaid gets 1.5x. (except the 19" Plaid which gets some high 1.4s) on summer tires. Hardly a "pig". And yes you can compare them. I just did. And will do so again.

4. AND The P85DL 19" had all Michelin MXM or Goodyear Eagle all-seasons!! These 19" tires with the Plaid (maybe not some LRs) are Pirelli summer tires! Why are you saying the P85D 19" had better tires?

Wait did I miss something? Did a stock weight stock 19in Plaid beat the 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4 mile records currently held by a stock weight stock 21in Plaids? All the data I have seen the 21s still have those records. Maybe the 19s will take them eventually but I haven't seen it yet.
The best option is whatever Tesla chose to use at Nurburging to set the new EV record.

Forgive me if I sound naive but isn’t it more about weight than size. (No jokes please) A true forged wheel will be faster than a heavier wheel regardless of the size. I would think the Arachnids are slower than a forged 21 inch wheel and the real comparison should be wheel type/weight and not as much the size.
Absolutely correct! the smaller wheel will inherently be lighter, but a large 21" forged wheel like the older Arachnids would be faster for sure, provided it was as wide or close to the current Arachnids.
The best option is whatever Tesla chose to use at Nurburging to set the new EV record.
THANK. YOU! No one is looking at the outside of the car then, and they chose the heavier wheels: BETTER TIRES.

I agree. Let's move tire discussions to tire threads (especially winter tires !! -- What are we going to do for winter tires for those of us who need that? -- but don't answer me here -- post in a tire thread)

And speed threads can go in the Dragy thread. (and btw I think 0-60 is only of interest to high school boys and the car magazines that they read. 1/8 and especially 1/4 mile is a much better measure of speed (and 60 foot is a better measure of launch and tire slip)

And there is the where-do-I-get-my-mud-flaps thread . . . Looking forward to having a 9 second car that needs mudflaps so it doesn't sandblast itself.

Absolutely correct! the smaller wheel will inherently be lighter, but a large 21" forged wheel like the older Arachnids would be faster for sure, provided it was as wide or close to the current Arachnids.

THANK. YOU! No one is looking at the outside of the car then, and they chose the heavier wheels: BETTER TIRES.

The older arachnids were lighter than the oem 19" last year.

The older arachnids were lighter than the oem 19" last year.
I have the older arachnids on my S75. Current plan is to put those on the Plaid with spacers and throw the original 19's back on the S75. Aside from that the Plaid is getting full PPF and tint...not sure how much further I want to go with mods...as I'm thinking to eventually trade the Plaid in for a Roadster while keeping the 75 as the backup "practical/beater" car. Since the 75 has grandfathered supercharging and connectivity it's just maintaining registration and insurance and will be good for our Mexico trips.

Lotta CRAZY cool details (at least IMO) in this EPA document, including some really cool pictures on what was going on behind the scenes while we were spotting the prototypes in June at page 19-54. These photos also show the old Tempest wheels, and the older UI that was spotted in March:

Last edited:
1. I will be overjoyed when it does, like I was when the LR pulled a 130 mph trap. Till then, 21s seem to be faster as all info so far has stated.
2. Smaller wheels are usually faster because of that wheel mass. I agree. However, if this was true, someone would've already run faster 0-60 with the 19s. It only took 25 Plaids delivered for @omarsultan to get a 2.14 0-60. Maybe that will happen soon. I don't know.
3. The P85DL has 523 hp from the battery to put down. The Plaid has more than TWO TIMES that amount, and a hell of a lot more torque as well. The difference in physics and tire technicalities increase exponentially the faster you go, and there is big difference from a high 2 second or low 3 second car, to a really really low 2 second car.
4. Maybe I should've phrased it differently: It could make do with a compound it had way better than the Plaid seems to be able to. The reasons for that are what I stated above.
Next weekend I should be able to run some back-to-back runs comparing 19s to 21s (was supposed to be this weekend, but waiting on a new torque wrench). The tires are a bit different (PS4S on the 21s vs PSAS on the 19s) but I think that was controlled as we're gonna get unless someone want to send me some PS4s for the 19s.