Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I kinda need to say goodbye in these parts, thank God I'm not worrying about EDD's and supply chain issues any longer.

Today was pretty amazing, though. The local FB Tesla Northeast Group had a big meetup with rides and test drives being offered. As a shareholder, I felt more responsibility to share the experience than I did to hoard Nameless totally to myself, so I offered test drives. I had to take a photo of any driver's DL and that was pretty much it for paperwork.

I had 14 drivers. And at least as many non-driving passengers, including kids and adults both testing out the rear console: playing YouTube, turning on the A/C (apparently they turn it on back there, it also turns on up front). There are other aspects of the climate control UI that I'm not crazy about--and don't even get me started on the directional buttons--but this isn't a post for biatching. I'm so overwhelmed with the massive goodness of owning and driving this thing. I told several folks at the meetup today that I've always had pretty lofty standards for cars, but the cars of my dreams prior to Tesla pale in comparison to Nameless. I have ZERO desire for a Plaid, this checks all the boxes (and we need a bunch more boxes; all of 'em would be checked.)

The only other time I've ever felt this way about a car, or even close, was when I took delivery of my '09 Boxster S launch edition in Aqua Blue Metallic. What a beaut. And fun like nothing else.

Until now.

I've really enjoyed my time here, this is a sold, revolving community. It's kinda like every 7 years you have mostly totally different cells, but are still the same person?

If Nameless is typical of the quality Tesla is now rolling off the MS assembly line, then all of you who've been waiting are in for a treat. I still feel I absolutely nailed the timing by ordering in December, and landed another Tesla peach. Our Model 3 Long Range Dual-Motor has been equally as peachy, a late-'18 variant.

Now I'll commence my grumpy biatching about certain, er.... issues I have in some other sub-forum. I'll definitely check in occasionally to see if there's a smart-ass comment I can add someplace.

I think I kinda need to say goodbye in these parts, thank God I'm not worrying about EDD's and supply chain issues any longer.

Today was pretty amazing, though. The local FB Tesla Northeast Group had a big meetup with rides and test drives being offered. As a shareholder, I felt more responsibility to share the experience than I did to hoard Nameless totally to myself, so I offered test drives. I had to take a photo of any driver's DL and that was pretty much it for paperwork.

I had 14 drivers. And at least as many non-driving passengers, including kids and adults both testing out the rear console: playing YouTube, turning on the A/C (apparently they turn it on back there, it also turns on up front). There are other aspects of the climate control UI that I'm not crazy about--and don't even get me started on the directional buttons--but this isn't a post for biatching. I'm so overwhelmed with the massive goodness of owning and driving this thing. I told several folks at the meetup today that I've always had pretty lofty standards for cars, but the cars of my dreams prior to Tesla pale in comparison to Nameless. I have ZERO desire for a Plaid, this checks all the boxes (and we need a bunch more boxes; all of 'em would be checked.)

The only other time I've ever felt this way about a car, or even close, was when I took delivery of my '09 Boxster S launch edition in Aqua Blue Metallic. What a beaut. And fun like nothing else.

Until now.

I've really enjoyed my time here, this is a sold, revolving community. It's kinda like every 7 years you have mostly totally different cells, but are still the same person?

If Nameless is typical of the quality Tesla is now rolling off the MS assembly line, then all of you who've been waiting are in for a treat. I still feel I absolutely nailed the timing by ordering in December, and landed another Tesla peach. Our Model 3 Long Range Dual-Motor has been equally as peachy, a late-'18 variant.

Now I'll commence my grumpy biatching about certain, er.... issues I have in some other sub-forum. I'll definitely check in occasionally to see if there's a smart-ass comment I can add someplace.
Enjoyed your story ... I remember 7 years ago when I got my P85. I drove from Phoenix to Ohio the first day I got the car. The trip took longer than it should have because of all the rides I gave after supercharging. As a shareholder, it is what we do. Enjoy your car and thanks!!

Picked up my Red Plaid, Black interior, Carbon Fiber trim, 21" Arachnid wheels on Thursday 9/16 at the Rocklin, CA service center. It was originally supposed to be delivered on 9/20 and I called and checked to see if it could be picked up earlier since it was already there. They accommodated me well and it was much appreciated. As everyone else has said, once you get the car you kind of chuckle about the wait and it all washes over.

I originally ordered White interior and was done refreshing so I picked up an inventory car. I am so glad I did, I think the Black interior is the right choice with Red. I was always a little worried that the various colors would be too much visually: Red body, Black trim on the exterior, Carbon fiber trim interior, White seats, etc.

It's an absolutely phenomenal car. I've had no issue with the Yoke at all, after 20 minutes I was actually bummed it's not an option for some of our other vehicles. The speed is something you can't describe, that continuous pull after 60 MPH is like nothing else.

One thing that came to mind after the first day of driving is that the Long Range has to be the best value car on the market. No differentiation between Plaid and Long Range other than Carbon Fiber interior. It has more range, 0-60 MPH in 3 seconds, and considerably less expensive. Am I glad I got the Plaid? Yes. Would I have been just as happy with the Long Range? I am confident I would've been, and I likely will get the Long Range if I ever replace this.

As for a little more detail from the first 3 days of ownership. I know the difference between the Plaid and both of the pre-Raven Model S that I've owned is a very long list, but the two biggest improvements I've noticed immediately are:

Quiet cabin/ride quality
My biggest issue with both previous Model S is how noticeable the wind noise was. Additionally, inside the cabin there were little creaks and clicks while driving that made it near impossible to ignore. You'd feel little bumps in the road that you wouldn't otherwise.

In the new cabin it's so well engineered/manufactured that without any music on or AC running I couldn't even hear vehicles driving past me when sitting still at a light. I am thoroughly impressed as it was one of my biggest concerns. Now it drives better than some of the German counterparts we currently have in our garage.

Fit and finish
There are very few if any plastic pieces in the cabin. The capacitive touch buttons to open the door are a nice touch. No more shared parts in the door and driving stalks with Mercedes Benz. The 17" screen is as good as everyone else has already mentioned.

This refresh feels so intentional with every decision they made (except for rear lights). Kudos to the Tesla team.

It's not all good. There was a 2" scratch in the glass on the sunroof at delivery, the leather in the rear cupholders is ribboned, trunk footwell carpet is bunched up, a piece of the leather on the Yoke isn't tucked in (and likely can't be), minor scratch on center console carbon fiber. In all honestly, these are so minor in comparison to what some others have encountered so I am grateful for that.

IMG_2367.jpeg

IMG_5091.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg

IMG_5098.jpeg

The thing that I question the most as a peripheral issue on this topic of LR vs. Plaid...is why in the heck are these guys still on this particular TMC thread -- Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery -- bitching, moaning, complaining, and endlessly trying to convince everyone else that the MS Plaid isn't worth an extra $40k or whatever, when it's absolutely clear these guys really just have 'buyer's remorse' (and should instead be kicking themselves in the tooshie for not ponying up the extra dough for the MS Plaid when that's what they really wanted...if money wasn't the issue of course)? :rolleyes:

As I've said before, whenever it is I take delivery of my new MS Plaid and post up the pics after it's all detailed and what not, I really don't think I'll have any reason to hang around here, as long as I'm not having major issues with my Tesla that I need advice on. Now, of course, I can see logging into TMC once in a while to look at other threads if I have questions, need advice or help on something Tesla MS Plaid related, or want to share some experiences regarding my Tesla MS Plaid. That makes total sense! 👍

Sorry, but I just find it a bit odd that people, other than say @omarsultan and guys like him who are super involved in their local Tesla clubs and basically act as an ombudsman to anything Tesla related (and are happy & eager to help). But, other than folks like Omar and others like him...guys, wtf are you still doing here annoying the rest of us, trying your best to justify your MS LR purchase decision? LOL. Seriously, don't these guys have friends, family, spouses, and other things to do with their lives? 🤔 😜 @Aleks0404 @Ramphex (and you guys tagged are of course NOT who I was talking about...but you already know that ;) )
I'd argue for 150% price of the Long Range, Plaid is not worth it from a value standpoint. Some people just like the latest and greatest, but I don't think it's worth the extra $40K honestly. If someone was seriously considering the two and didn't care about being able to say they have the fastest production car in the world (or just really want carbon fiber), Long Range is absolutely the way to go. Everyone has their own reason why they may want the Plaid.

Seriously, don't these guys have friends, family, spouses, and other things to do with their lives?

You realize this logic also applies to you at the moment, the qualification of waiting for delivery doesn't change anything. You need to chill lol

I'd argue for 150% price of the Long Range, Plaid is not worth it from a value standpoint. Some people just like the latest and greatest, but I don't think it's worth the extra $40K honestly. If someone was seriously considering the two and didn't care about being able to say they have the fastest production car in the world (or just really want carbon fiber), Long Range is absolutely the way to go. Everyone has their own reason why they may want the Plaid.

You realize this logic also applies to you at the moment, the qualification of waiting for delivery doesn't change anything. You need to chill lol
I went through these thoughts, but it was, Porsche Taycan Turbo, to plaid, so the 30K savings was there for me, granted the Porsche is better built, with much better service, but its not a super computer on wheels, and the Tesla is not a performance car like a Porsche, the Tesla is just much faster, and much more technology focused. LR, is excellent bang for the buck, especially if you bought like I did before the price hike.

I went through these thoughts, but it was, Porsche Taycan Turbo, to plaid, so the 30K savings was there for me, granted the Porsche is better built, with much better service, but its not a super computer on wheels, and the Tesla is not a performance car like a Porsche, the Tesla is just much faster, and much more technology focused. LR, is excellent bang for the buck, especially if you bought like I did before the price hike.
Super computer that takes 10 seconds just to open a web browser 😅😅. My raspberry pi must also be a super computer.

What's the other stuff?
Either overspray or missing clear coat on the passenger side view mirror, weird lines in the roof glass, dented A pillar speaker, shaking driver sideview mirror, now the door handle issue. I made the appointment a while ago but they didn’t have anything available for over a month ahead. It’s slowly creeping up to the appointment time and they said they’ll give me Uber credits to get around until the car is fixed.

2A99B605-93AA-447C-B5C6-E699CD8C8EF4.jpeg

4934720F-49BD-4FCC-84A9-4E4BC1BDCAAF.jpeg

DE5A2358-7633-433B-BD64-A4350A6A074D.jpeg

687D9F1B-D503-420D-AEE0-7022A6AD1C54.jpeg

17C439DD-14CC-4F91-9F06-493E7CA8CED3.jpeg

4169C0AF-5847-4019-8B41-D115CFA64103.jpeg

My ford fusion 6 years ago had this feature and it has only given me false positive may be twice in 4 years of owning it. So this is not true at all. Let's not minimize a feature that is helpful and should be included in all Teslas especially since they have the technology needed for it. They just choose not to implement it. It's just as annoying as Tesla not including waypoints and not turning on the side cameras during a lane change. Even a Kia has this now. Cross traffic alert is a real issue and it should be included in our cars. You listening Elon!
HA HA. You’re claiming my post is “not true at all” because of your personal 4 year ownership of a Ford Fusion 6 years ago? It seems you agree they have the technology to do it; I would love to hear your theory or explanation as to why they don’t include it then

Picked up my Red Plaid, Black interior, Carbon Fiber trim, 21" Arachnid wheels on Thursday 9/16 at the Rocklin, CA service center. It was originally supposed to be delivered on 9/20 and I called and checked to see if it could be picked up earlier since it was already there. They accommodated me well and it was much appreciated. As everyone else has said, once you get the car you kind of chuckle about the wait and it all washes over.

I originally ordered White interior and was done refreshing so I picked up an inventory car. I am so glad I did, I think the Black interior is the right choice with Red. I was always a little worried that the various colors would be too much visually: Red body, Black trim on the exterior, Carbon fiber trim interior, White seats, etc.

It's an absolutely phenomenal car. I've had no issue with the Yoke at all, after 20 minutes I was actually bummed it's not an option for some of our other vehicles. The speed is something you can't describe, that continuous pull after 60 MPH is like nothing else.

One thing that came to mind after the first day of driving is that the Long Range has to be the best value car on the market. No differentiation between Plaid and Long Range other than Carbon Fiber interior. It has more range, 0-60 MPH in 3 seconds, and considerably less expensive. Am I glad I got the Plaid? Yes. Would I have been just as happy with the Long Range? I am confident I would've been, and I likely will get the Long Range if I ever replace this.

As for a little more detail from the first 3 days of ownership. I know the difference between the Plaid and both of the pre-Raven Model S that I've owned is a very long list, but the two biggest improvements I've noticed immediately are:

Quiet cabin/ride quality
My biggest issue with both previous Model S is how noticeable the wind noise was. Additionally, inside the cabin there were little creaks and clicks while driving that made it near impossible to ignore. You'd feel little bumps in the road that you wouldn't otherwise.

In the new cabin it's so well engineered/manufactured that without any music on or AC running I couldn't even hear vehicles driving past me when sitting still at a light. I am thoroughly impressed as it was one of my biggest concerns. Now it drives better than some of the German counterparts we currently have in our garage.

Fit and finish
There are very few if any plastic pieces in the cabin. The capacitive touch buttons to open the door are a nice touch. No more shared parts in the door and driving stalks with Mercedes Benz. The 17" screen is as good as everyone else has already mentioned.

This refresh feels so intentional with every decision they made (except for rear lights). Kudos to the Tesla team.

It's not all good. There was a 2" scratch in the glass on the sunroof at delivery, the leather in the rear cupholders is ribboned, trunk footwell carpet is bunched up, a piece of the leather on the Yoke isn't tucked in (and likely can't be), minor scratch on center console carbon fiber. In all honestly, these are so minor in comparison to what some others have encountered so I am grateful for that.

View attachment 711181

View attachment 711183
View attachment 711184
View attachment 711185
As an owner of a LR, I appreciate this! Class act coming from a Plaid owner. Enjoy your new ride… looks so sick. Way to not buy the gay wheels

Nailed it. I remember back in in 2018 “dropping” into the model s driver seat at an angle give the short door length an b pillar. Ended up going model x at that time which was more roomy for me but given my history with the falcon door seals will never go back.
I’m 6’6” 250. I found my neighbors early 2018 S tight and uncomfortable. I think my Plaid is much more roomy and extremely comfortable.

I don’t enjoy bragging about having the fastest production car. I enjoy demonstrating it with excited passengers on board. It instantly makes people smile and laugh. Cheapest entertainment you can buy. Adrenaline on tap.

Quiet cabin/ride quality

Fit and finish

View attachment 711181

View attachment 711183
View attachment 711184
View attachment 711185
That car is gorgeous. I’m partial to white cars but that red really pops.

I previously posted that we ordered an EQS for my wife. She loves Mercedes and has driven one for years.

She told me today that she wants to cancel the order and order a Model S. I am flabbergasted. I never thought she’d drive anything but a Mercedes but she loves the MS L R.

Now let’s see how she handles the frustration of dealing with Tesla while waiting for delivery.

I previously posted that we ordered an EQS for my wife. She loves Mercedes and has driven one for years.

She told me today that she wants to cancel the order and order a Model S. I am flabbergasted. I never thought she’d drive anything but a Mercedes but she loves the MS L R.

Now let’s see how she handles the frustration of dealing with Tesla while waiting for delivery.
OH HELL YEAH! Congratulations to your wife; she will love it!

😱 I GOT MY CAR!! What a long wait, and it was so worth it.
The car seemed perfect from delivery and not missing anything. My windshield was a bit dirty from the factory but it cleaned up real easily.

In order of what I noticed.
Design: I saw the rear of this car first and the pictures online really don't do it justice. It is aggressive and COOL. 10x more so than I dreamed. The diffuser actually reminds me a bit of the early Tesla roadsters. Black trim is beautiful. Arachnids look great compared to photos.

Speed: I need to do more testing tomorrow but I was actually a little shaky from adrenaline when I did a couple 20mph-50mph runs at 90% battery on my first mile. It is absolutely terrifying. The punch and power around here feels like one step beyond a P100D. Where the P100D and Plaid feel similar (IMO!) is from a standstill but Plaid punches a little harder and the P100D requires an hour of battery heating, fresh tires, and a perfect surface. Plaid is ready at ANY moment and gives an even bigger punch at higher speeds. It is scary.

Screens: I cannot get over how smooth the screens are compared to my 2018. The main screen is BEAUTIFUL. I'm glad it's not any bigger as buttons on the very right are almost out of reach. Thankfully it's very customizable!

Yoke/Interior: It was WEIRD the first 100 feet and then I found myself quickly getting used to it. It reminded me of picking up a PS5 controller for the first time. It's SO alien and daunting but after a few minutes of using it, you quickly become comfortable. Roundabouts and left turns are a non issue. Right turns or parking lots require a touch of muscle memory to one-hand the wheel and use your palm to control it. Overall, I love it. It opens up the interior.
The interior is beautiful by the way. The wood is darker than I thought, but rich and has a great feel.

Overall just BLOWN AWAY. I'm so glad I placed an order and I'm so glad I waited. The car is a monster.

Omar and others covered Q&A really well but if anybody here has questions just let me know! :)